Anton Krupicka's view on the simplicity of running.

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
I am not into ultra running, yet, but I love Anton's attitude towards running. I think most runners in the 21st century have completely lost the true meaning of running. Gadgets, electronics, heart-rate monitors, etc. have conformed runners more into robots.

Here is Anton's take of the simplicity of running.

"To me, running along the trails and in the mountains is tapping into the more primal mode of living. It doesn’t make a lot of sense if that is your goal and you end up cluttering your life with heartrate monitors, GPS, iPods, Camelbaks, and Nike Shox. I’ve felt that way my whole life; it’s how I was raised. I mean it is so cliché as a runner to talk about living simply, minimizing material goods, and that sort of thing. But it carries over to my running, because that is the lifestyle I have. But it’s weird, because I get this reputation for not wearing a shirt when I run. But it’s hot out! I’d rather not have to drink more water, because I am sweating more. And I just don’t like to carry a lot of stuff. People tell me I skimp on my nutrition during long runs. Like today, I just got done with a four-and-a-half-hour long run. I just had two gels the entire time. I didn’t eat breakfast beforehand. I don’t eat breakfast, because it upsets my stomach. I mean I don’t like carrying more than a couple gels, you know?"

I think that is great for

I think that is great for him, and many others. I do like having my camelbak. I keep my phone and other things in it since I have a family and a job who might need to get in touch and I can be out as long as I want that way. I also like to keep track of numbers because that is part of my personality.

But I do love the simplicity of running itself. I feel like I can let everything go when I'm out running. I have baggage as we all do and I can just let it go. I can forgive myself and everyone around me because I'm just moving across the ground.

I did a 5K costume run a

I did a 5K costume run a month ago, I wore my costume, and didn't carry anything else with me. I watched all the people with their fancy shoes, and their headphones in, and setting their GPS's and just loved the simplicity of how I was running. I do normally run with a GPS (to keep track of my marathon training) after that I might ditch the GPS too.

While I do agree with him, Im

While I do agree with him, Im also a numbers guy. So I enjoy my Garmin and my HRM! But alot of the times Ill put my Garmin in my pocket and not pay attention to it.

Although I don't disagree

Although I don't disagree with him, he's in a different category than the rest of us. He's a professional runner and I would hasten to guess that if we were interviewed about our chosen specialty in life, to an outsider (most of us are running "dabblers" by comparison to Anton) we would look similar.

Plumbing looks difficult to a person standing in water up to his ankles in his living room... Not so for a plumber.

Commercial airplanes look difficult to fly if you only fly on weekends in a Cessna... Not so for an airline pilot.

Oil refineries look terribly complicated to people who put gas in their F-150s every week... Not so for a petroleum engineer.

Just the thoughts that were banging around in my head as I read other posts.

Back to the original programming...

I am being a bit extreme in

I am being a bit extreme in my intro paragraph to my post. I have a garmin as well, for the sole purpose of tracking mileage. But once in awhile try leaving all the gadgets home and go for a run, I guaranteed it will be the best run you will ever have.

He sounds like a barefoot

He sounds like a barefoot runner. ;-)

So many of us give up the gadgets after we've been at this a while. We seem to shed them one-by-one until we are left with nothing but our bare feet.

Okay, and some

Okay, and some clothes...maybe. :shy:

TJ, did you forget about

TJ, did you forget about Patrick Sweenys "Bare Burro" race?

On purpose, yes. 

On purpose, yes. ;-)

Actually, I need to add that

Actually, I need to add that to the BRS's home page. It's too good not to share. (He said we can "borrow" anything we want from his site anytime we want. Hmmmm.)

Haha! Im just "gratefull"

Haha! Im just "gratefull" (for lack of a better term) that all the action shots were from the rear... No pun intended...

It was Anton that inspired me

It was Anton that inspired me to start running in the first place, and it was the movie trailer of him cutting the tread off his shoes that introduced me to the concept of minimal running.

Movie trailer...? Something

Movie trailer...? Something Im unaware of here?

i did a trail run Saturday

i did a trail run Saturday without my Garmin. i forgot how fun that was. i have it back now from repair and can't wait to wear it again. hrm training. it's killing me to go so slow but apparently I'll get faster so I'll stick with it.

Anton's general attitude

Anton's general attitude toward running is totally inspiring, makes me want to move somewhere that isn't so flat! New movie coming out is called Unbreakable and covers the Western States 100 Race in 2010. Anton came in 2nd behind Jeff Roes. Think it comes out in a few weeks or so, should be pretty awesome.

http://www.ws100film.com/

EDIT: there's a movie about Anton out now! sweet!!! http://www.negativesplit.net/indulge/Indulgence_Home.html

Im in complete agreement with

Im in complete agreement with what he said. Adding technology (to me at least) takes a lot of the pure fun out of running. I usually dont care how far or fast i went, just so long as i enjoyed myself while doing it.

I'm a "less is more" sort of

I'm a "less is more" sort of runner as well. I guess I don't think so hard about it, but as I make my running choices, I find myself watchless, shirtless, Guless, and shoeless more often than not.

My concession to numbers is to write down my milage.

Run well all!

D, love those mountains! You

D, love those mountains! You are so blessed! I bet those are a real challenge.

Looking forward to checking out those movies. Thanks!

He zero drops some in

He zero drops some in Indulgence and talks about how he enjoys bf running but acknowledges that its not really practical for ultra mountain racing. I pretty much agree with all of his thinking. I was really hoping he would make it back for RR in 2012. We should see a great race this year with Sharman defending his course record against Meltzer.