Another parent giving bad running advice... butt in?

NotSoDoomedRunner

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
I posted this on the Austin Barefoot FB and got a couple responses... what do y'all think?

So here is a question I have been thinking about: last night I was at my son's karate class. They are all 4-6 and were doing laps barefoot around the room. One of the new girls, who is closer to 6 I think, was running on her forefoot when her mother started reprimanding her and telling her to run on the backs of her feet. The girl's older brother asked the mom why and she said she is afraid the girl will hurt herself running on the front of her feet and that that is not normal. Really the girl was running pretty perfectly. I thought about saying something, but I don't know these people and I sure don't want people telling me how to raise my kids. Chances are this issue will pop up again... what would you do? Tell mom (politely of course) how good her daughter is running... or just be quiet?
I guess one other thing is I don't think the mother is physically active. Not trying to be rude or judgmental to her but it might be different if her mom was obviously or possibly a runner. Though who knows about her past - or future I suppose.

Reactions: Bare Lee
While the child is running, tell the mother that the child has really good form and you wish you could have just as good of form, but running in shoes made you have bad form for so many years that it is hard to get back to a good, natural form. You might also need to let her know how much running you do.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Hobbit
Or happen to have with you one of the books with a picture of good barefoot form and a description of how harmful rear-foot landings are. Then exclaim to the mom how perfect her daughter's form is and show her the proof.

Reactions: scedastic
I would say, stay out of it. Mom isn't going to be around the girl every time she runs. At recess or with her friends she will go back to her good form.

If you really feel the need to do something about it, in the future wear your BRS and race shirts to the practices. Introduce yourself and start some casual conversation. If she notices you are a runner and asks your opinion, then jump in.

Hey, at least Mom didn't complain about the class running barefoot, that's a plus.

Reactions: rbondi
I'd leave the barefoot stuff out of it for starters, just find yourself standing beside her and say something along the lines of "Your daughter has a great running style". If she expresses surprise, just say "No, all the top professional runners run just like that".

Reactions: Hobbit and NickW
I'd leave the barefoot stuff out of it for starters, just find yourself standing beside her and say something along the lines of "Your daughter has a great running style". If she expresses surprise, just say "No, all the top professional runners run just like that".

Good plan, and besides, so what if the mom gets a little cranky? You're not harming anyone and might help a little.

Reactions: NickW
Thanks. I like a mix of these ideas. I think I will wear one of my race shirts and see if that starts anything or if shes asks... I felt bad for the little girl for getting kind of yelled at for doing the right thing.

i would've said something but you all know i'm a jerk like that.

i would've used the jealous approach though. "whoa, what do you mean she needs to change? she runs just like the elites! i wish i could run as natural as that!"

i try to read people before saying anything. i use some tests to see what i can say to them. not always right but i'm not perfect.

Where to start???

A lot of mil...

Dodging Sandy before, during and after running Marine Corps Marathon...

A lot of mil...

You are excused then thank you!
On another note, I really want to know how the MCM went.
Feel me in please.

Surprisingly plesant weather, although it looked like it could rain at any minute. This led to a clothing "issue", I never fully resolved until mile 19... More on that later.

45 ish degrees at the start with light mist.

Wore my normal running shorts, a long sleeve shirt and my singlet over that with a baseball hat that actually said "Ducati". Gloves and a sweatshirt were also worn at the start. I rolled up and tied a weatherproof rain jacket around my waist in case it began to storm (nobody knew what Sandy had in store for that Sunday).

Gloves and sweatshirt were gone in 1 mile and long sleeve shirt was removed at mile 2. I rolled that up and tied it around my waist with my rain jacket (still not sure what Sandy was up to...)

Was running a 9:00-9:05 pace for 22 miles. Hit 1/2 at 2:02. 4 hr balloons were just in front of me nearly the entire time, but I honestly wasn't running to keep up or pass.

The hill at 8 miles still sucks.

I came up with a great response to, "Dude, how can you run barefoot?". Answer: "I can't afford shoes in the Obama-economy". That seemed to quiet the crowd and enduced much laughter.

Ditched my extra clothes at mile 19 (my "support team" wasn't much support) and that lightened my load quite a lot (I'm not throwing away an $85 lululemon long sleeve shirt, thank you very much...).

When we entered Crystal City, VA, the roads turned to feces. LOTS of pot-holes and chewed up, broken asphalt. It was like running on a sharp gravel road.

My mile times plummeted and I spent a lot of time running east-west rather than north-south to find good pavement. So much so that my marathon was 27.1 miles at the finish and had been only .03 off at mile 22!

Finished in 4:30. Not exactly what I was wanting (sub 4:15), but it'll do.

That's an awesome effort none the less. I hate it when the weather is so unpredictable that you don't know how to dress for the race. Good job!
Nice comeback about the shoes btw.
Thank you for humoring me :)
Nice to "see" you here again.

How about just saying nothing because it's not your child.

JMHO...

That is exactly what I did. Still not positive it was the right thing. I live in a small but growing town and one of the benefits is we often take the "it takes a village" to heart.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7