Another FNG

Tenderfoot Jim

Barefooters
Jul 28, 2011
Just getting started here. Torn meniscus, sore knees, and my wife reminding me that I need knees to work left me staring forlorn at the new bike path skirting my back yard. Yes, I have a bike, but it ain't running.

Then I hear an NPR story about running and the book 'Born to Run'. Read the book, started reading Internet stuff, and went for a run. Everything said start out slow, so I only went two miles ( :* ). I did it right, cause I could tell when I heel struck, had a small blister on a smaller toe, and felt like someone had pounded my calves with a hammer! I didnt know that "a few hundred yards" is a short distance. Anyway, best of all, NO KNEE PAIN!

I've read some more and am doing a lot of walking around barefoot an vary little running until I build my feet and calves up. I walked a mile to work today, down the bike path and through the woods barefoot. I love it BUT my feet are extremely sensitive. The limestone gravel and pea gravel can bring me to my knees! Will this get better? Will I get use to it? I'm not against minimalist footware but I don't want to use it as a crutch. If my feet will adapt eventually, I'll stick it out.

Thanks for all the info.

Anyone else in central OH?

Welcome to barefooting!You

Welcome to barefooting!

You did too much for sure but now just rest up till your calves feel better then re-start with 1/8 - 1/4 mile distances. Do as much walking barefoot as possible and you will get much much more used to it.

Thanks Mokaman. Yeah, too

Thanks Mokaman. Yeah, too much will be my problem. I'm dying for the freedom and euphoria that distance used to give me. "Less is more, less is more" is what I keep repeating so that I don't sabotage myself.

Yes, your soles can adapt to

Yes, your soles can adapt to the varying surfaces. There are lots of folks who have run many, many miles barefoot and continue to do so today: Keb Bob Saxton has some 77 barefoot marathons, Todd Byers has over 105 barefoot marathons, Rick Roeber has near 60 barefoot marathons, Todd Ragsdale set the Guinness World Record for the longest barefoot run at 102.65 miles, and lots of us here and elsewhere have run many many miles barefoot. (I ran over 1,000 miles my first year of running barefoot.) So it can be done. It's up to you to want it though. And playing it smart will get you there.

Welcome!

TJ, Thanks for the

TJ, Thanks for the encouragement. I've been out twice since my 'Over do' last Thursday. Going just under 2 mile and I set the metronome on my IPhone for about 140 per minute. Thats about a 16 minute mile pace and I can focus on doing the right thing. I hate going so slow, but I figure that I can steady ramp it up as my feet adapt (did i tell you that I hate limestone pea gravel?) and my calves get use to their new role.

Last year, after starting out

Last year, after starting out running and BF last May, I ran all summer BF on pea gravel and misc. small stone canal tow paths trails near here. (Princeton) At first my feet were shocked and felt like they were on fire after each outing. That only lasted a couple weeks at the most, though. It seemed like no time at all until it was my legs and lungs that were the limiting factors. Be confident that you won't draw blood or need an amputation before your feet take it all in stride.

Enjoy!

...btw...what's an "FNG?" (or does it end in "New Guy"...and start with "Funny")

Yes, funny new guy!  Hee.

Yes, funny new guy! Hee.

FNG: "Flippin' New Guy", or

FNG: "Flippin' New Guy", or whatever euphemism that starts with "F" that you wanna use!

In regard to the pea gravel, I'll take sucking wind oxygen starved muscles anyday! I've currently got those warm soles that you're talking about. Afterward isn't so bad. What get's me is when I'm getting into the groove and cruizing along (relatively speaking) , and then OUCH! Throws the whole system off!

It's great to know that it gets better! My feet have always been sensitive. My Dad used to call me 'tenderfoot'. Then again, I rememer one summer getting a multiflora rose sticker embeded in my food. I left it in my foot for a few weeks. I remember Dad digging it out with the old Buck pocket knife. My soles were like shoe leather and I felt nothing!

And you'll get there again if

And you'll get there again if you take it slow and steady. Fast and erratic are the barefoot transition highway to death and/or injury, which may be worse. It takes time to build up both the sole (plantar) skin and the supporting musculature in your feet after years of letting it atrophy in shoes. Take your time, build gradually, increase gradually, and you'll be where you want to be without injuries. Welcome to the crew, and enjoy!

Phil

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7