Weekly Mileage 41st week of 2012

Way to go Bob. My feet felt okay but I forgot to wear shades (glasses) and the pellets were affecting my vision. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :p

Point taken, I will let that slide, because I couldn't see anything when i was running into the snow either. ;)

a bit over 13 mi at dusk on the trail nearby.
On the way out it took about 3-4 miles just to decide if i felt like running.
On the way back, there was a moderately creepy looking old fella (although, in his defense, everyone looks like that out here) who did look like much of a biker hanging right with me while I ran into the darkness, either a few hundred yards in front or behind me almost the whole way back. It's a rather deserted trail that is on an old railroad bed and goes through lots of woods.
Didn't like the company so got off the trail and finished on the country roads---i was rather having cars than creeps.
Since I've been doing these long runs, solo, at night, way out in the country or in the woods, i'm wondering, shoudl i be carrying some sort of defense somethign? as in, should i be packin heat? or do i just get a big dog?

My vote is the big dog. Everybody always go wide around me and my husky. She is the most gentle creature, but everydody sees her and figures she is a wolf or at least half wolf. But then again they might just be avoiding the freak with no shoes, its anybody's guess.:oops:

My vote is the big dog. Everybody always go wide around me and my husky. She is the most gentle creature, but everydody sees her and figures she is a wolf or at least half wolf. But then again they might just be avoiding the freak with no shoes, its anybody's guess.:oops:

what are good dogs for distances? and how hard is it to train them for distance running?

Husky's are probably the best, mine is very comfortable running 10 miles, the longest she has run with me without pushing her is 15 miles, and she wanted to go further. There are quite a few different breeds though that are adept to running long distances, a little bit of research and I am sure you could find one that fits what you are looking for.

I will say though, Huskies are great runners but they also can be very destructive if they do not get out and get exercised. They get bored and they find things to amuse themselves like eat through doors, dump garbage cans, etc. I have learned this first hand.

what are good dogs for distances? and how hard is it to train them for distance running?
I have an Australian Shepherd/Golden Retriever mutt that goes out running with me and my husband all the time. She has gone 20 miles in the desert with him. She looks friendly, but is actually on guard and is quick to tell people if they are in our space. Too quick sometimes... She did a good job of chasing an ankle bitter off today. :) He was very aggressive. She also is good at alerting me to people or animals approaching that I'm not aware of. Once she gave some strong looking young men the growl and they gave her a wide berth. I think that overall she is a good defensive weapon for me when I am out by myself, but it also seems that a dog will attract other dogs that might leave a person alone.

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
Also, if you can find someone around there who trains dogs (and their owners) using the Kohler method, that is what we did. My dog does not pull me; she runs beside or slightly behind.

I do the biking and swimming in between, to give my body a chance to heal from the running intensity. It really works for me. I haven't tried running two days in a row for years, but I always look forward to it after having a day off with other types of activities. I'm just trying to encourage you to not push yourself unnecessarily and get hurt!
Thanks HSB. That's the plan I've always followed too: one day running/one day weights. And I've never been injured (until last week!!!). I'll still follow this plan for the most part, because I enjoy my strength-training days, and have lately been pushing things a bit there, so I need 40-60 minutes to complete each of my three weight routines (basically chest, shoulder, and back), but I've been toying with the idea of adding one or two more runs a week, just short stuff, to keep my legs from getting stiff, now that the doc has given me the green light. I traveled by bicycle for two years, so I love cycling, but right now I live in the epicenter of the Twin Cities, so cycling opportunities are limited and involve traffic. If I lived out in the country I would definitely cycle at least once a week. I'm a horrible swimmer, although I like the idea of becoming better at it in this second half of my life at some point, but without easy access to a pool and being kind of overwhelmed with little kids and getting my wife, a recent immigrant to the States, through nursing school, I appreciate the ease and convenience of just running and lifting. I have a rowing machine too, and I used to row three times a week for 30 minutes, after my weights, but now that my top of the foot pain is cured and I can run for 60 minutes or more, and since my nagging shoulder injury has been healed for six months now, I find myself leaving the rowing behind and expanding my weight routine, relying on the running for all my aerobic work (another reason one or two shorter runs per week might be a good idea). If I lived on a lake I would probably consider rowing more seriously, as well as swimming, but inside on a machine is dreadfully boring. So lately I've just been doing really intense rows for 5-10 minutes at the end of my weights once or twice a week. Still, I appreciate the feedback. And it's always good to hear what other people are up to.

I vote dog too S. Cedastic. Since you run far and often you should be able to tucker it out enough that it won't cause too much trouble at home. We had a Husky in the city while I was growing up and it went bat sh!t from inactivity. If you're not up for a dog, pepper spray will take care of most creeps as long as you don't have to run too far away. If you're out in the middle of nowhere however, he might recover and if he's in better shape than you (not likely I think), he could catch up to you, now angrier than before. A small gun will work, but only if you know how to use it, and are willing to deal with all the legal consequences if you end up using it to defend yourself preemptively. Shoot at his legs if you go this route, using all six shots. You might think about carrying one of those air-compressed noise makers too. In any case, I don't like the idea of you running deserted trails alone in the dark. It would be quite easy for some creep to learn your routine and lie in wait for you.

Thanks HSB. That's the plan I've always followed too: one day running/one day weights. And I've never been injured (until last week!!!). I'll still follow this plan for the most part, because I enjoy my strength-training days, and have lately been pushing things a bit there, so I need 40-60 minutes to complete each of my three weight routines (basically chest, shoulder, and back), but I've been toying with the idea of adding one or two more runs a week, just short stuff, to keep my legs from getting stiff, now that the doc has given me the green light. I traveled by bicycle for two years, so I love cycling, but right now I live in the epicenter of the Twin Cities, so cycling opportunities are limited and involve traffic. If I lived out in the country I would definitely cycle at least once a week. I'm a horrible swimmer, although I like the idea of becoming better at it in this second half of my life at some point, but without easy access to a pool and being kind of overwhelmed with little kids and getting my wife, a recent immigrant to the States, through nursing school, I appreciate the ease and convenience of just running and lifting. I have a rowing machine too, and I used to row three times a week for 30 minutes, after my weights, but now that my top of the foot pain is cured and I can run for 60 minutes or more, and since my nagging shoulder injury has been healed for six months now, I find myself leaving the rowing behind and expanding my weight routine, relying on the running for all my aerobic work (another reason one or two shorter runs per week might be a good idea). If I lived on a lake I would probably consider rowing more seriously, as well as swimming, but inside on a machine is dreadfully boring. So lately I've just been doing really intense rows for 5-10 minutes at the end of my weights once or twice a week. Still, I appreciate the feedback. And it's always good to hear what other people are up to.

Well, I certainly can relate a lot to your responsibilities! We raised 7 kids (the youngest is 16 now, oldest is 28, all from my belly), and, yes, we know "what causes that.":p Did it on purpose. I get a lot of comments from younger mom's nowadays about what good shape I'm in, and I tell them that when I was busy with little kids, I felt good if I was fitting in 20 minutes of at home video workouts 3 x as week! But the physical activity was helpful for my overall well-being.:)

Also, I have been through nursing school. Graduated from UCLA in 1986. Used that knowledge to do a lot to take care of one daughter who died from leukemia a few years ago.

I do most of my biking on a spinning bike at home here. The hubby doesn't like me out on the road by myself cycling too much, plus the spinning bike IS convenient at all times of day and in any weather! Have a gym close for swimming.

I was an "immigrant of sorts" at one point, too, when we went to live in Taiwan for a while, so I know what it is like to adjust to a new country. Still trying to learn Chinese...:confused:

So, all that to say, I completely understand the constraints trying to get some exercise during real life! Keep up the good, balanced work and perspective. But don't forget to leave yourself margin.:)

Reactions: dutchie53
I vote dog too S. Cedastic. Since you run far and often you should be able to tucker it out enough that it won't cause too much trouble at home. We had a Husky in the city while I was growing up and it went bat sh!t from inactivity. If you're not up for a dog, pepper spray will take care of most creeps as long as you don't have to run too far away. If you're out in the middle of nowhere however, he might recover and if he's in better shape than you (not likely I think), he could catch up to you, now angrier than before. A small gun will work, but only if you know how to use it, and are willing to deal with all the legal consequences if you end up using it to defend yourself preemptively. Shoot at his legs if you go this route, using all six shots. You might think about carrying one of those air-compressed noise makers too. In any case, I don't like the idea of you running deserted trails alone in the dark. It would be quite easy for some creep to learn your routine and lie in wait for you.

Thanks for that! Yeah, huskies aren't going to happen; my dh had them before he met me and considers them too 'wild.'
In any case, he's very much against dogs (we do have a bunch of cats and live far from where we work, but still....)
DH suggested hand to hand combat training and judo. Great. Just like in the movies.
Well, I suppose it wouldn't hurt my physical shape.
I'm considering a gun or knife, but yeah, i'd have to learn to use them.
The pepper spray that is allowed in my state is hardly worth it (I sprayed it once and it comes out in a tiny little stream so would require surgical aim or being very close up---originally got it for aggressive dogs, but it's so lame)
Funny that the state is really uptight about pepper spray but is cool with concealed weapons.

As I do more of these long runs in the dark, I am getting more anxious. There are only so many routes that aren't full of aggressive unrestrained dogs, too much traffic, and/or horribly cambered/rough roads, and which are also 8-16 miles long. Fat chance for finding a running partner that is NOT a dog, though sometimes a stray will follow me partways :(

2.5 mi recovery run this morning. hardly a run, more of a scoot. I was so tight this morning; last night i went from my long run to sitting with my legs curled up in front of the computer for 2 hrs before bed, no rolling, no stretching, no moving around. Duh.

Also, if you can find someone around there who trains dogs (and their owners) using the Kohler method, that is what we did. My dog does not pull me; she runs beside or slightly behind.

Thanks! I'll look into it and may very well end up overriding the current ban on dogs---it's for safety sake and peace of mind after all.
A well trained dog is a wonderful companion; i did a brief stint as a dog walker when i lived in the city, and the well trained ones were excellent.

Reactions: happysongbird
Thanks for that! Yeah, huskies aren't going to happen; my dh had them before he met me and considers them too 'wild.'
In any case, he's very much against dogs (we do have a bunch of cats and live far from where we work, but still....)
DH suggested hand to hand combat training and judo. Great. Just like in the movies.
Well, I suppose it wouldn't hurt my physical shape.
I'm considering a gun or knife, but yeah, i'd have to learn to use them.
The pepper spray that is allowed in my state is hardly worth it (I sprayed it once and it comes out in a tiny little stream so would require surgical aim or being very close up---originally got it for aggressive dogs, but it's so lame)
Funny that the state is really uptight about pepper spray but is cool with concealed weapons.

As I do more of these long runs in the dark, I am getting more anxious. There are only so many routes that aren't full of aggressive unrestrained dogs, too much traffic, and/or horribly cambered/rough roads, and which are also 8-16 miles long. Fat chance for finding a running partner that is NOT a dog, though sometimes a stray will follow me partways :(
Knives are too close range, too risky.

Martial arts require years of training and even so the greater upper body strength of a man may neutralize whatever advantage in technique you have gained. Best to learn how to launch a powerful kick to the groin, or kick out his knee, then run. Low kicks are hard to see coming, don't take too long to develop, deliver about as much power for a woman as for a man (pound for pound, women have just as much lower body strength as men), and you can maintain balance relatively well. High kicks are worthless in street-fighting, punches bring you in too close where he can grab you and turn it into a grappler's game. OK, you can learn lethal or crippling moves, like collapsing the windpipe or gauging the eyes, but most women have a hard time actually following through on this, even when their lives are at stake. And basically, in any street fight or attack, you have to assume that the worst possible outcome--death--is possible, so you might as well just get a hand gun so that you can keep some distance between you and the perp. Shoot at the upper legs until you've drained the gun, or at least for the first four shots, because you have to assume you're going to miss at least a couple of times. Meanwhile he's closing in on you. This stuff is a lot different than in the movies. I trained martial arts twenty years ago, and even used it a couple of times to defend myself, but would I use it now? Absolutely not! It's not something you know forever and ever. If you don't keep practicing, your skills will deteriorate. Same with handguns--it's a lot harder to hit a target than in the movies. I vote dog first, not running in the dark in the middle of nowhere second, and hand gun third.

Reactions: NickW and scedastic
Well, I certainly can relate a lot to your responsibilities! We raised 7 kids (the youngest is 16 now, oldest is 28, all from my belly), and, yes, we know "what causes that.":p Did it on purpose. I get a lot of comments from younger mom's nowadays about what good shape I'm in, and I tell them that when I was busy with little kids, I felt good if I was fitting in 20 minutes of at home video workouts 3 x as week! But the physical activity was helpful for my overall well-being.:)

Also, I have been through nursing school. Graduated from UCLA in 1986. Used that knowledge to do a lot to take care of one daughter who died from leukemia a few years ago.

I do most of my biking on a spinning bike at home here. The hubby doesn't like me out on the road by myself cycling too much, plus the spinning bike IS convenient at all times of day and in any weather! Have a gym close for swimming.

I was an "immigrant of sorts" at one point, too, when we went to live in Taiwan for a while, so I know what it is like to adjust to a new country. Still trying to learn Chinese...:confused:

So, all that to say, I completely understand the constraints trying to get some exercise during real life! Keep up the good, balanced work and perspective. But don't forget to leave yourself margin.:)
Yah, ideally my wife and I would like to have three or four kids, but it's not going to happen. I started very late, and my wife has very harsh pregnancies, becoming basically bed-ridden for 6-7 months of it. But it would be fun to buck the one-to-two-kid-family trend. In a different life I would start sooner and have more.

Reactions: happysongbird
Knives are too close range, too risky.

Martial arts require years of training and even so the greater upper body strength of a man may neutralize whatever advantage in technique you have gained. ...................Same with handguns--it's a lot harder to hit a target than in the movies. I vote dog first, not running in the dark in the middle of nowhere second, and hand gun third.

Oh, yeah, that's what I figured.
My dh just suggested the martial arts because he was having a stress reaction from hearing the word dog.

Sigh.....not running in the dark in the middle of nowhere would mean almost no running this school year. :(
That would potentially have the negative effect of turning me into a psycho killer or at least a jerk.

That would potentially have the negative effect of turning me into a psycho killer or at least a jerk.
Then it could be you lying in wait in the middle of nowhere, ready to do your Death Wish vigilante killing on all the creeps. Obama has made preemptive justice the rule of the land, so I say go for it!

Hey, wait a minute, I thought men were supposed to be dog people.

Reactions: scedastic

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon