Weekly Mileage 41st week of 2012

Anyway, great to hear Nick's running is going well, and I appreciate the Forceful One's task-mastering. Do I need a doctor's note to get out of running for this week's gym class?
Well, upon waking this morning Lee I found my calves are super tight and I have a mild TOFP so I am going to take today off from running and maybe bike on the recumbent instead along with my gym routine. Today I am going to have to roll out my legs extra well and use "the stick" for the fronts of my legs and see if Lee's tip works for getting rid of this TOFP.

If you still have pain Lee I would be hesitant to run very much, if at all. I would hate to see you set yourself back... This coming from a master setbacker himself...

Reactions: happysongbird
Well, upon waking this morning Lee I found my calves are super tight and I have a mild TOFP so I am going to take today off from running and maybe bike on the recumbent instead along with my gym routine. Today I am going to have to roll out my legs extra well and use "the stick" for the fronts of my legs and see if Lee's tip works for getting rid of this TOFP.

If you still have pain Lee I would be hesitant to run very much, if at all. I would hate to see you set yourself back... This coming from a master setbacker himself...
I agree. I'm doing my best to hold off until I'm completely pain-free. Then I'll build back up slowly but surely, possibly capping things at three miles and then work on pace for a while. Let me know how the massaging/rolling goes. Roll out both the calves and the front, and dig in with your fingers too when you find the knots/trigger points. Also stretch out the feet good, pulling the toes up and down, and maybe massage them too. I got a little top of the foot pain yesterday even though I haven't been running. Five minutes of rolling/massaging did the trick. I'm also becoming more vigilante about rolling out the upper leg. I think neglecting this partly contributed to my freak injury.

No, no need for a Dr's excuse I'll be easy on you this time.
Glad to hear that your Dr gave you the go ahead to run though.
Yah, he actually said I could run on it now, but I'm waiting for the pain to subside. He seemed to take the 'running injuries are normal' point of view, but I don't buy it. I must have been doing something wrong, and I'm not going to try to run through an injury when running is what caused it. But the lay-off has been good; it's prompted a little more reading and that in turn has helped me reorient my approach for when I do return, I think . . .

I'm also becoming more vigilante about rolling out the upper leg. I think neglecting this partly contributed to my freak injury.
I've been pretty good about this, which is actually why I got the pvc pipe for a roller. It gets so much deeper in my upper legs and really helps my hamstrings a ton.

I've been pretty good about this, which is actually why I got the pvc pipe for a roller. It gets so much deeper in my upper legs and really helps my hamstrings a ton.
It's a bit extravagant, but I like the more flexible 'marathon' stick for my calves, and the stiffer 'sprint' stick for my front lower leg, and then the foam rollers--smooth and knobby--for my upper leg. I also have a trigger wheel and Knobble for digging in, although one's fingers work just about as good. It hurts so good.

Wow, so I just rolled out my legs and then used the stick and the tofp is gone. I may go for my run after all. Today is just supposed to be a short day anyway for me with tomorrow as a planned off day.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Wow, so I just rolled out my legs and then used the stick and the tofp is gone. I may go for my run after all. Today is just supposed to be a short day anyway for me with tomorrow as a planned off day.
Really amazing, right? It's like a magic pill. I'm a true believer, spread the gospel! Make sure to roll and massage after the run too, and a few more times throughout the day and on your rest day.

Thanks Lee. I just finished reading it. I think a big part of the problem for me, which he noted for himself in the evenings after work or when sleeping, is that I sit too dang much during the day. I seem to really get tight after sitting for an hour or two or more while doing homework or coloring with my son or reading to him or just wasting time on here. I can't wait till I start working again next spring/summer. Hopefully I can completely kick this before then though...

Thanks Lee. I just finished reading it. I think a big part of the problem for me, which he noted for himself in the evenings after work or when sleeping, is that I sit too dang much during the day. I seem to really get tight after sitting for an hour or two or more while doing homework or coloring with my son or reading to him or just wasting time on here. I can't wait till I start working again next spring/summer. Hopefully I can completely kick this before then though...
For that very reason I have the sprinter stick, trigger wheel, and little wooden foot roller in my office. I also have a sit/stand desk.

45 wonderful BF minutes of running in gorgeous weather!

1.66 barefoot miles today. I kept a really slow pace but today I felt a little off. It took me 3/4 of a mile to find my footstrike and my ankles felt stiff. I ran around the little neighborhood behind my home that has a lot of little rolling hills (and some bigger ones if I so choose, which I did not today). This neighborhood has a lot of the "made to look worn" sidewalks and then on top of that there was a lot of sap from the trees so I kept getting hitchhikers so my soles got tender pretty fast. I hate to say this, but I am glad tomorrow is my off day...

I admit, I pansied out today. It was snowing-sleet-ice pellets today. Did get out the door, but after 5 minutes of running into the ice pellets I had enough for one day.

Smart move on your part, at least you tried.

I admit, I pansied out today. It was snowing-sleet-ice pellets today. Did get out the door, but after 5 minutes of running into the ice pellets I had enough for one day.

What is with that, I ran a good 5 miles plus at lunch in the rain, snow, sleet and ice pellets. It was awesome, a little splash here and big splash here. Everybody at my office thinks I am totally nuts. Good my job is now done.

OK, don't hit me, but I ran to pick up my son at day care: .8 miles, and of course .8 miles back walking. 38F windchill so my baby run even qualifies for the Winter Challenge. I did my shoulder strength-training routine earlier in the day, and also rolled out the legs a lot in between sets and did some body weight squats and the knee felt OK, so I thought I should try a short run. Feels fine now post-run. We'll see how it feels tomorrow morning, but the pain is close to niggle stage, so I may be back in business. Now comes the boring part of building back up slowly.

The frustration is starting to build.
I've also been hesitant to run consecutive days because of my age

I do the biking and swimming in between, to give my body a chance to heal from the running intensity. It really works for me. I haven't tried running two days in a row for years, but I always look forward to it after having a day off with other types of activities. I'm just trying to encourage you to not push yourself unnecessarily and get hurt!

78 minutes of barefoot running this afternoon in gorgeous sunny, but comfortable weather here in Idaho. My right calf was trying to cramp today when I was just doing normal stuff around the house, but I went out anyway and just tried to be careful to run relaxed. That got harder when I hit about mile 5, when it really tried to cramp up, but I started letting that foot hang for just a split second between strides and that helped! Glad to make it home without having to call for a ride. :barefoot: I will be massaging it tonight after a hot bath.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon