Weekly Mileage 41st week of 2012

Lee you forgot to read the small print on my previous post(the one that says I don't know sheet and still dont) but I got your diagnosis which is Medial Collateral Ligament Sprain and it's caused by twisting of the knee or when a force takes the lower leg outwards, stretching the inner joint, so read the small print carefully because (I know a little of everything and a lot of nothing).
For what it's worth, here's a few photos to give you a better idea of where the trouble spot is. I drew a dark circle where it's most sensitive to touch (my left leg is propped up on the jacuzzi cover):Left leg knee pain.jpgLeft leg knee pain 2.jpg

Does our week begin on Sunday or end on Sunday? Well, if it begins on Sunday, then I will report this to end my week:

Today: 6 miles barefoot, including 1 mile warmup walk and 5 miles barefoot on mixed pavement, including smooth and pebbled concrete and chip-and-seal asphalt. It was an amazing morning; we had our first rain in 150 days on Thursday, and it was a good one at that. This morning it was crystal clear and cool, just the sort of morning you want to get out and run in. I've always liked running in cooler temps, but now I see that cooler temperatures are a distinct advantage when running barefoot. The chip-and-seal didn't bother my soles one bit, and the smooth concrete felt like glass under my feet. Just an absolute joy to run today; I could have gone for another few miles. Since there were some hills involved in today's course, I didn't even bother to keep my heart rate MAF low. I just went with it, and still, going uphill wasn't a chore at all; I had plenty of gas in the tank.

Have to say: barefoot running is really a mind-opening experience. Challenging to every notion I've ever had about running. I know I'm not telling you all something you don't already know, but heck, I'm a newbie, so forgive my amazement at finding all this out.

Went to a yoga class after my run, and a woman there had apparently seen me on my run this morning and asked me what the idea was behind running barefoot. All I could say was "Well, my shoes were killing me!" She sort of laughed and said, "My podiatrist would really disagree with you." What could I say but, "Oh, you mean the guy that wants to operate on your feet or sell you some expensive orthotics? THAT guy?" She sort of snorted and turned away. What can I say; diplomacy isn't my strong suit.

Woke up to a beautiful morning, no wind and about 4C, and decided I had nothing important to do till lunch so I ran the top half of Manhattan at a gentle pace - ended up with 21+ miles in a little over 3 hours and an AHR of 127. Did the last 2 miles at about 7.30 pace. Had breakfast after I got back. It had warmed up to about 9C by the time I got home so no winter miles :(
78 miles for the week.

Finished my week up yesterday with a 4.81 mile run and another week with 30dot7 miles under foot.

Ran the Awesome Twosome this morning. A little bit cool but a great morning for a quick barefoot run. 5km in 23:40 which is a new PB for me, very happy with that. Went out way to fast at the start, 6 min/mile for the first 1/2 mile, then figured out why I was sucking wind (My usual race pace is just under a 8min/mile). After I got my breath back, I just put it into cruise control and dialed into the finish. Even kept the pace up over some gravel construction areas.

I do the Monday to Sunday thing too. I know the calendar the week starts on Sunday but I can't consider it the start of the week when I've always considered it the end of the week because it's a rest day to recover from work or school. What kind of person starts their week with a break? Lol!:D
I don't get out too much anymore, but for me, Saturday /Saturday night used to be the culmination of the week. The best parties or shows to look forward to during the whole week prior. Sundays were for sleeping in and getting ready for the week to come.