Solved Thread Separation

My suggestion is just from a user's/web designer's perspective. Its no biggie, but might help with readability...

I noticed that its hard to delineate where each thread (within a forum) begins and the next one ends (especially if some people use signatures). The thin blue line between each forum thread might need to be thicker or darker. Right now the line above the poster's signature is black and competes with the separation of the actual thread.

Just my .02 cents. :)

Yes that is going to get taken care of when we finally decide on a color scheme. Right now it is the default. Is there a color that you think will look best for now ? I wanted to change it but black stands out too much.

I'm uncomfortable with this thread. Are we becoming separatists now? I think our posts should flow together seamlessly. My posts might feel like your posts don't like them if you're trying to add more separation.

Well the black line above signatures was just added. But I tend to agree that there's hardly any separation between actual posts.

Some forums I've been on have light alternating color backgrounds for each post, like white and light gray, or light blue/light gray, etc. Others have a different color bar just above the body of each post. vB forums usually have this, with a the post date/time and post number in that bar above the body of the post. That usually serves as a good separation.

Maybe make the line separation a little thicker. It does get a little confusing with everyone's signatures.

For me now it's even more confusing. If the line between sig was lighter and the one between the posters was darker it would make it a little easier to read imho. Right now I keep getting confused by peoples sig's thinking that this is a new post.

It was indeed a little bit confusing - the line between post and sig should be lighter than the one between two posts...
I think it wouldn't be easily done, but if the line between post and sig was only a partial line (say, 20% of the page width), that would be even clearer perhaps. And like someone suggested: alternating shades of light and dark as a background... (I should alter my sig... I started with a '-- ' line, being used to forums where there wasn't a demarcation at all between body and sig of post.)

Matt used to have a ------------ line like that dividing the post from the signature, but then people complained about that. We can't please everyone, but we try. Another poll, Matt? Hee.

For me now it's even more confusing. If the line between sig was lighter and the one between the posters was darker it would make it a little easier to read imho. Right now I keep getting confused by peoples sig's thinking that this is a new post.
I agree. I think the signature line should be the lighter line and the thread separator lines should be thicker and darker. But I TOTALLY know about not wanting to do anything until you've established styles. Its much better now, though. :)

I noticed that its hard to delineate where each thread (within a forum) begins and the next one ends

From the perspective of a not especially bright person, this wording confused me, lol. It took me a while to figure out that you mean the separation between individual posts within threads, Zapmama :confused:

I think there should be a poll on forum terminology :barefoot:

Anyway, how about this, a short line above the signatures and a full line between the posts:

something like that ^^

From the perspective of a not especially bright person, this wording confused me, lol. It took me a while to figure out that you mean the separation between individual posts within threads, Zapmama :confused:

I think there should be a poll on forum terminology :barefoot:

Anyway, how about this, a short line above the signatures and a full line between the posts:

something like that ^^

Haha! I should have said "posts" not thread. That was my bad. I like the shorter signature line. Thank you.

For me the old line that separated them was so faint I couldn't hardly see it, and I wonder if that was why so many people complained in the beginning.

You did good MM! The smaller line for the sig is great and it looks like you lightened it to about 50% gray too (or maybe that's just my eyes, hahaha!). Much better.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090