Mileage Reporting 25th Week of 2013

I dunno Dama, I'm happy right now at my little over 6 miles. Not gonna push to increase distance yet. First I want to focus on losing weight, then we'll see about adding distance once the weight is lost. I really believe the extra 20-30 pounds does contribute to injury.

Take your time Nick that's the right attitude...believe me I had really bad peroneal tendonitis for several years until I started barefoot running plus doing the rolling and massaging like Jen and Migangelo suggest...it really works in the long run. It took me a couple years to get over it fully and I've been pretty much bullet-proof even when I over do it sometimes now.

To get my splits I tried to hit the lap button every mile, but as you can see I kept forgetting to until a tenth or two late. Is there any way with a garmin forerunner to do this automatically or something?
Not sure which model you have Tristan, but my 305 has the option to do 1 mile increments and it just auto does it for me. I can't remember which function it was under, but I got lucky and found it one day when searching through all the functions.

Take your time Nick that's the right attitude...believe me I had really bad peroneal tendonitis for several years until I started barefoot running plus doing the rolling and massaging like Jen and Migangelo suggest...it really works in the long run. It took me a couple years to get over it fully and I've been pretty much bullet-proof even when I over do it sometimes now.
See, that's the motivating kind of stuff I like hearing. I was in a real low a couple months back. Was feeling like I would never be back to running well. Glad I finally figured out my problem and now have this figured out. Now if I can just keep my mileage like it is now consistently for the next few months I will really be able to shed the weight and hopefully will continue increasing my pace. I'm amazed at todays run, for the final two miles, with a hill for the last mile, to run a 10:22 and then a 10:33 despite pushing the stroller is great for me. Makes me think it might be possible for me to get close to my old Army pace... (ok, maybe not that fast but definitely fast enough to pass an Army physical fitness test for the run)

Yesterday ran 9.5 miles local roads after rain had stopped...ran to Harbins park and back in a loop...80F and humidity was high... had to slow down a lot the last couple miles, still not used to the heat. Ironically found a rock bruise on my heel after I was done...didn't remember stepping on any rocks harder than normal and have stepped on thousands of rocks over the last month without any bruising but a day later it isn't a problem.

Is there any way with a garmin forerunner to do this automatically or something?

Tristan on a 305 hit "Training" then "Training Options"" then "Auto Lap" then "By Distance" then down arrow then enter the distance to set auto lap for 1 mile etc...you'll figure it out from there.

Reactions: NickW
Today was a monumental occasion! My first double-digit trail run! 10 miles! In my Moc3s. The trails here are pretty dry already so all those dam pieces of sharp gravel, hurt, especially since they can't even hardly sink into the dirt now. Anyway...it took me a little less than 3 hours. The first half is slightly uphill, and it was an out and back so it made the second part go by fast! I just wanted to make sure I could do it because I'm doing a 10.5 mile "race" in early July. Dan (paraganek) is all smoking crack, saying now I'm ready for a HM. NOT! My base is not even quite...7 miles. Lol!

Tuesday afternoon 6/18/2013
Junior High School track
4.09 mi / 5.6 km

Must be North American km. :p

No running for me today, feet are still feeling scuffed up, and it's almost freezing outside. Yesterday's frosty run highlighted one potential pitfall - when I was posting yesterday I had no idea that a little shard of glass or gravel (hard to tell) was in my heel because my feet were still a little numb. Once I got into the warm shower I noticed a bit of pain, and spent 10 minutes digging it out afterwards.

On my run today I was pleasantly surprised to discover my left hamstring muscle was distinctly sore and that my right quad muscle was a bit sore, as well. These are the muscles that my ND said need to be strengthened in order to balance out the twist in my hips. Apparently, the weightlifting has been doing precisely this! Yay! I noticed the usual anterior/posterior tilt in my hips was a lot less. I also became aware that (as I do out and backs) it is best if I make sure downslope is to my right in the first half of the run and to my left side on the second half -with regard to this bizarre twist. At least until my hips get a bit more used to their "correct" living space.

I was scheduled to go on my long run again today, but one thing then another. Thunder, lightening, and pouring rain in the morning. A friend needed to come visit in the afternoon and this was the only day before a lot will be going on in her life. Then, I started getting phone calls about my husband's next surgery and had to help make appointments for everything associated with that. (He can't move his surgeried arm much so they are going back in to cut it loose... :inpain: )Next thing I knew it was 5 PM.

I still thought about running, but my legs felt very tight and heavy. I recalled that yesterday I did squats for about 30 minutes while weeding itsy bitsy weeds. On both sides of that I made a big batch of bread to work my arms. This was followed by 2 hours of the first grocery shopping since the wedding. I still managed my swim (20 minutes) and spinning bike (60 minutes) after that, but that could be why my legs feel this way.

So, I read everyone's reports and decided I will enjoy my run much more if I do it tomorrow morning.

I was scheduled to go on my long run again today, but one thing then another. Thunder, lightening, and pouring rain in the morning. A friend needed to come visit in the afternoon and this was the only day before a lot will be going on in her life. Then, I started getting phone calls about my husband's next surgery and had to help make appointments for everything associated with that. (He can't move his surgeried arm much so they are going back in to cut it loose... :inpain: )Next thing I knew it was 5 PM.

I still thought about running, but my legs felt very tight and heavy. I recalled that yesterday I did squats for about 30 minutes while weeding itsy bitsy weeds. On both sides of that I made a big batch of bread to work my arms. This was followed by 2 hours of the first grocery shopping since the wedding. I still managed my swim (20 minutes) and spinning bike (60 minutes) after that, but that could be why my legs feel this way.

So, I read everyone's reports and decided I will enjoy my run much more if I do it tomorrow morning.

Geez Slacker! I don't do that much on my workout days!:D

That's what you get for cutting thru someone's yard, I hate it when someone does that on my yard.
But seriously, I hope is nothing serious and don't forget to massage.
And I agree ! I felt really uncomfortable, once I noticed I was in someone's yard....Nothing serious, but took the day off today, got some small bruises/cuts on my feet, that's it

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Ran 4 miles at 4:45am, 81 Deg. F. 76%rh. saw lightning bugs, 2-racoons(scurried up a tree), heard 5 separate owls.
Note: I changed up my schedule a little this week. On mile 5.5 of the 7 I ran Tuesday I developed a knot feeling in left calf.
I finished with no problem but it has been tight. I have done ice and the foam roller. Todays run was great, calf issue is still a little tight. I call it, Legs good, feet good!
I always look forward to my next barefoot Run.

Wednesday afternoon 6/19/2013

Three-mile bicycle commute: back in the saddle again;

Middle ST: medium effort, I think I discovered I like single-leg hip thrusts better than two-leg hip thrusts with weighted barbell--it's less set-up time, and seems just as effective or more, because I get a greater range of motion;

One-mile barefoot stroll: to pick up daughter at summer Discovery Club with toddler in stroller.
At least until my hips get a bit more used to their "correct" living space.
I couldn't agree more; a correctly hip living space is key to enjoying the contemporary lifestyle.
Butt seriously, congratulations on your new milestone!
Must be North American km. :p
Opps. I guess I have to start using reading glasses for my computer screen too. I read the 6 as a 5. Still, I hope you appreciate my efforts to include international/rational standards of measurement in my reports.
See, that's the motivating kind of stuff I like hearing.
Yah, I agree. It really helped me hear from others when I was trying to figure my issues out last fall. Not just advice, but the encouragement too.

Great to hear of your progress. I hope you keep to your plan of staying at your current mileage for a good few months until everything has had time to solidify. I know I had trouble not getting greedy, but my learned patience is paying dividends now. It's frustrating that my rate of progress is so slow, but it's great running injury-free and really just enjoying each run for what it is and not for what it should be.

Congrats on getting your degree! How's the new person doing? You guys must be getting close to the big day soon, no?
Hahaha, love your "running gears" definitions and I am going to use them myself so you can go ahead and suit me:D
My sandals came from here the ones I bought for ten bucks went up on price thou but not by much. Just control yourself when looking at the pics;)
http://www.ladybead.com/
Thanks Dama, I ended up being a cheapskate and got some on Amazon and Ebay. If she ends up liking them, and they don't break right away, I'll get my wife a nicer set for our anniversary. But you're right, this could quickly turn into a fetish.
Sounds like great progress! What kind of exercises are recommended for an AP tilt?
Where the blazes you been?
I dont know what it was, a combination of things probably, but I think the biggest thing might have been the 16 miler.
Hey Tristan, sometimes you gotta take one step backward to take two steps forward. Your body is probably just trying to make sense of the higher mileage. Once it does, you'll probably find you've broken through to the next level of running fitness.

Today was a monumental occasion! My first double-digit trail run! 10 miles! In my Moc3s. The trails here are pretty dry already so all those dam pieces of sharp gravel, hurt, especially since they can't even hardly sink into the dirt now. Anyway...it took me a little less than 3 hours. The first half is slightly uphill, and it was an out and back so it made the second part go by fast! I just wanted to make sure I could do it because I'm doing a 10.5 mile "race" in early July. Dan (paraganek) is all smoking crack, saying now I'm ready for a HM. NOT! My base is not even quite...7 miles. Lol!

Great progress Jen and you'll know when you're ready for a half, your body will tell you...trust me.

My legs have been feeling very tight and heavy since my latest round of PT and I am just dragging myself thru every run and I am not liking it a bit but I figured that my body will eventually get used to the new exercises and they won't be too crabby.
I am really sorry about your husband's situation I can't imaging how frustrating that might be. Tell him sorry for me please.

@Lee, pictures of what you bought for your wife? if it's not too much to ask-please?:)
My sandals are very sturdy, I have ran countless of miles with them, they are of a very good quality.
The expensive ones are cristal but mine are beads that's why I payed only ten bucks.:happy:

And I agree ! I felt really uncomfortable, once I noticed I was in someone's yard....Nothing serious, but took the day off today, got some small bruises/cuts on my feet, that's it

That's good news and I hope all is back to normal.

Great to hear of your progress. I hope you keep to your plan of staying at your current mileage for a good few months until everything has had time to solidify. I know I had trouble not getting greedy, but my learned patience is paying dividends now. It's frustrating that my rate of progress is so slow, but it's great running injury-free and really just enjoying each run for what it is and not for what it should be.

Congrats on getting your degree! How's the new person doing? You guys must be getting close to the big day soon, no?
Hey thanks Lee. I think I was a little greedy at first to get back to the mileage I'm at now (about 17-18 miles/week), but now I really don't have a big desire to push much farther than that. Not sure why, maybe it' because back in November I got burned out at this mileage. I'm also working on pace too which makes it easier to stay at a lower distance. My wife is still pregnant and is due end of September, so still a few months to wait yet. I'm excited yet not. I'm excited for baby girl to get here, but I am not excited for the sleepless nights. Those were super hard to deal with last time when our son was born, and now 3 years later I would imagine it would be even harder. Funny, but when my 15 year old daughter was born I had no problem with the sleepless nights. Well, relatively little I guess I should say. My body handled it better back when I was younger.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7