Mileage Reporting 25th Week of 2013

I'm back. After my Bryce race I have done almost nothing but work and garden for the last 2 weeks. I did have a nice hike with David and Jen and one 4.5 mile barefoot run around the farm. Started back up today with a work run of 4.5 barefoot miles around the farm checking the irrigation systems and moving hoses on tree rows. The run really loosened things up as I could barely move after cross training with hay bales the day before. Considering the rough conditions (dry stickers, sticks, hay stubble, gravel) my feet were not sore at all after. I am really pleased with my foot conditioning this summer even though my bf mileage is not too high. My goal is to do all of my shorter runs barefoot no matter what the conditions are, slowly work back into some pavement running, and continue to do my long runs and hill training shod.

Monday afternoon.
Bottom ST.

Just deadlifts with my trap bar, and power cleans. I wasn't really into it, but I ended up doing 10 reps at 255lbs with the trap deadlift. I just kept going. Previously I had just been doing 3-5 reps per set. Definitely time to bump up the weight 50-100lbs, but I hate how much you have to concentrate when doing really heavy weights. One false move and you can blow out your knee or back. The power cleans are really coming along too, but man, those full-body exercises really wear you out. Functional fitness types who slam traditional free weights really have no idea what they're talking about.

Since taking a week off, and having a little less time to get through my workouts now, I find myself gravitating towards an Abide-inspired focus on just the main lifts, rows, and presses, with perhaps more pyramiding down thrown in on all the heavy stuff. I would lose a little in overall conditioning, but it would be fun to make a little more rapid progress in building up basic strength. And cutting out some of the more rinky-dink exercises for a spell would save me some time too.

Anyway, that's what I'm feeling these days, and the 'just lift/listen to your body' protocol, corollary to the 'just run/listen to your body' protocol, totally gives me license.

After the power cleans my wife came home early from her first summer class of intensive academic ESL, so I heard all about that, but after that, 20 minutes later, I had completely lost my pump, so I decided to call it a day and trim the hedges before the kids got home. The home gym has its disadvantages, like potential interruptions, but when no-one is around I love the peace and quiet and getting into that deep zone, like on a good run.
:D You should probably put up a video for others who want to try this...
Yah, it's great reading about your active work life Rick, and Laura's ambitious yard work/gardening. The best I can muster is a sit-stand computer desk and a few massage tools scattered about on the office floor. I did get some furniture glides though, for getting back to doing the splits during breaks.

High tide today, so I did my 6km morning run around the streets. Concrete paths, bitumen roads, and cold wet grass. Really looking forward to the winter solstice in a few days, this cold and dark stuff is a little overrated.

I planned on taking a slightly different route to my normal street run, but somehow my mind went on auto and I ended up running exactly the same way I always do. Funny how that happens.

My scapulae are not where they should be. Might have something to do with almost being spun off the merry-go-round yesterday by a certain "newbie" - which basically made my shoulders a bit disconcerted. Anyway, then I proceeded to drink too much beer and take too many antihistamines, which caused me to sleep in one "wrong" position all night -this, causing my sternum, and therefore clavicle, and therefore hips, to become majorly misaligned. Sigh. But I managed to go work out in the gym for 1.5 hours -all sorts of weight machines, free weights, weighted bars, climbing machine, medicine ball. I was excited to see, that at least sitting, I am able to leg press my own weight. I decided to get a personal trainer for a month, but can't get one yet, as my mom is having health issues and I have no idea what my schedule will be like for awhile. Been doing lots of sternum rolling with the pipe and butt cheek rolling with the baseball, since then.

I'm back. After my Bryce race I have done almost nothing but work and garden for the last 2 weeks. I did have a nice hike with David and Jen and one 4.5 mile barefoot run around the farm. Started back up today with a work run of 4.5 barefoot miles around the farm checking the irrigation systems and moving hoses on tree rows. The run really loosened things up as I could barely move after cross training with hay bales the day before. Considering the rough conditions (dry stickers, sticks, hay stubble, gravel) my feet were not sore at all after. I am really pleased with my foot conditioning this summer even though my bf mileage is not too high. My goal is to do all of my shorter runs barefoot no matter what the conditions are, slowly work back into some pavement running, and continue to do my long runs and hill training shod.

Now that you've done an ultra, your life is...boring! :D

Yesterday (Tuesday for me), I did 10.5km (6.5mi), including 4x30" fast intervals....Today I just finished 11.3km (7mi). At some point I took the wrong turn and ended up in a 'cul-de-sac'...My only option was heading back, or go through someone's garden (at the bottom of a hill)...Took the second option, and had to go through some very tough/hardy plant bed...Not sure how I did, this, but managed to hurt the top of my left foot and the inside of my arch !!!....Now soaking it in a bucket of ice cold water, hopefully no damage done !!

Ran 7 miles at 4:30 am, 75 Deg. F., 83 %rh. thunder and lightning the whole run. It only sprinkled on me the last mile. heard a few owls, saw a few rabbits. Great run!!
This is the start of week 9 of training for me.

My scapulae are not where they should be. Might have something to do with almost being spun off the merry-go-round yesterday by a certain "newbie" - which basically made my shoulders a bit disconcerted. Anyway, then I proceeded to drink too much beer and take too many antihistamines, which caused me to sleep in one "wrong" position all night -this, causing my sternum, and therefore clavicle, and therefore hips, to become majorly misaligned. Sigh. But I managed to go work out in the gym for 1.5 hours -all sorts of weight machines, free weights, weighted bars, climbing machine, medicine ball. I was excited to see, that at least sitting, I am able to leg press my own weight. I decided to get a personal trainer for a month, but can't get one yet, as my mom is having health issues and I have no idea what my schedule will be like for awhile. Been doing lots of sternum rolling with the pipe and butt cheek rolling with the baseball, since then.

Nice workout.
Sorry about your pains, you and me are on the same boat with those !@#(# hip issues, aren't we.
I hope your mom's health issues are resolved quicly.

Yesterday (Tuesday for me), I did 10.5km (6.5mi), including 4x30" fast intervals....Today I just finished 11.3km (7mi). At some point I took the wrong turn and ended up in a 'cul-de-sac'...My only option was heading back, or go through someone's garden (at the bottom of a hill)...Took the second option, and had to go through some very tough/hardy plant bed...Not sure how I did, this, but managed to hurt the top of my left foot and the inside of my arch !!!....Now soaking it in a bucket of ice cold water, hopefully no damage done !!

That's what you get for cutting thru someone's yard, I hate it when someone does that on my yard.
But seriously, I hope is nothing serious and don't forget to massage.

Ran 7 miles at 4:30 am, 75 Deg. F., 83 %rh. thunder and lightning the whole run. It only sprinkled on me the last mile. heard a few owls, saw a few rabbits. Great run!!
This is the start of week 9 of training for me.
What are you trainung for?

20k barefoot runon Sunday.

1hr interval session today - mix of barefoot and minimalist

Nice Sam!

Tuesday afternoon 6/18/2013
Junior High School track
4.09 mi / 5.6 km
Hot

I had been up since a little past 1am, so I felt kinda pooped by the time it was time to exercise my animal mid-afternoon. I decided a run down on the nearby JHS track was just the thing. Unlike an out-n-back, I could stop anytime I felt like if I felt too tired.

So around in circles I went. After one and half miles, I stepped on a sharp piece of gravel that bruised me right where I had stepped on a thistle or thorn last weekend while weed-wacking those nasty invasive plants, who so rupture the rapturously pleasant yet kinda fakey domesticity of our lawn. If I didn't have kids, I might let the lawn grow out into weeds, er, I mean native prairie plant varieties, as is becoming the custom amongst my somewhat grumpy liberal neighbors.

So I jumped up onto the moist, grassy field inside the track. Ahhhhhh, that’s better. Some days one just isn’t up for the full-on barefoot experience, the enduringly embracing of abrasion and petty pain. I love that sandy-gravelly track, I really do, but some days I’m just not in the mood.

So anyway, I ended up running in that new gear I discovered recently, somewhere between aerobic and tempo pace. I call it the “Whole Foods” gear, because of its middling quality. Not quite real organic/natural foods co-op, but not quite wicked corporate overlord like Walmart either. So with that, and my recent 120-yard "sprints," I’ve identified five running gears, all about a minute per mile apart, whereas I used to have just three:

Sightseeing (aerobic) – You sometimes forget you’re running, just taking in the sights and sounds, stop for a leisurely stretch, maybe even a few pics, you feel like this would be a good way to spend the rest of your life if you had enough credit/fat stores and Perrier.

Whole Foods (aerobic-lactate threshold) – Kind of easy, kind of hard, kind of feel like taking a break, kind of feel like keeping on going, feel like you’re making progress, feel like you’re still way too slow

Middle Management (lactate threshold) – You feel like you should be going either faster, to finish the difficult project more quickly and get away from your irritating work team, or more slowly, so you can pay more attention to the numbers, get the job done right, and get that promotion you so richly deserve. You are forced to become efficient and highly focused, that is, improve your running economy and stop trying to micromanage your form.

Hollywood (anaerobic) – Intervals are like trying to land a part in a movie. You have to ignore your body continually rejecting your will to go fast, take a break to convince yourself that you really are going fast, really going places, and are going to ‘make it’ big, and then audition for speed again.

Kamikaze (“Sprinting”) - You briefly experience a tremendous sensation of impending entrance into oblivion, as your very being begins to expand into the cosmos, but then you realize if you simply stop nothing will explode or burst.

At the four-mile mark, I had had enough of Whole Foods' high prices, and was going to wrap things up with a mile or two of cheap thrills in the Kamikaze gear, but as soon as I stopped to take a short walking break, I felt a little glute-niggle in my left cheek. I don’t know if it was from sitting for 12 hours straight in full work-obsessed mode, or from stretching out spread-eagle just before the run, or from yesterday's high-rep trap deadlifts, but I decided to take that as a sign that I should cease my tiredful efforts and go home.

Once home though, I realized I still had 20-30 minutes to spare before I had to pick up my daughter for her sixth orbital check-up at the clinic, so I did a bunch of the Bottom ST exercises that I missed the day before, starting with dynamic stretches with ankle weights to work out the butt-knot.

@Dama, where do you get your barefoot sandal anklaces thingies? I'm thinking they would make a fine birthday gift for my significant wife-other.

Hahaha, love your "running gears" definitions and I am going to use them myself so you can go ahead and suit me:D
My sandals came from here the ones I bought for ten bucks went up on price thou but not by much. Just control yourself when looking at the pics;)
http://www.ladybead.com/

I got no exercise in yesterday as I forced myself to take a day off due to the pain from running in vff's the day before. Also found out yesterday that I did indeed earn my first degree so went to eat a celebratory dinner and may have over done it a bit. Will hopefully get my long run in today along with the gym to burn the excess off. Yesterday when I weighed myself I was down another pound (seems to be coming off quickly now that my foot/ankle is doing better) making it nearly 6 lbs that I've lost in the last two weeks. Woohoo this is a GREAT week!

I got no exercise in yesterday as I forced myself to take a day off due to the pain from running in vff's the day before. Also found out yesterday that I did indeed earn my first degree so went to eat a celebratory dinner and may have over done it a bit. Will hopefully get my long run in today along with the gym to burn the excess off. Yesterday when I weighed myself I was down another pound (seems to be coming off quickly now that my foot/ankle is doing better) making it nearly 6 lbs that I've lost in the last two weeks. Woohoo this is a GREAT week!

Congratulations, dude!

Keep working on your trigger points. Check out about the one inch radius around your inner and outer ankle bones for trigger points, they are tiny in that area, but evil.

6.18 miles in my Lunas. I felt fantastic! I avg'd 11:14 pace over the whole run, but the 5th mile I ran a 10:22 and then the 6th mile I ran a 10:33 while pushing the stroller uphill! I am really feeling strong and feel like I've really gotten control over the muscle tightness. Was going to workout in the gym too, but got a little later of a start because my son slept in a bit this morning and then the last half mile of our run the gods decided I wasn't having enough fun so they opened up the flood gates and let the rain just flat dump. It normally doesn't rain that hard at all here, but this was fun and I was all smiles ear to ear.

6.18 miles in my Lunas. I felt fantastic! I avg'd 11:14 pace over the whole run, but the 5th mile I ran a 10:22 and then the 6th mile I ran a 10:33 while pushing the stroller uphill! I am really feeling strong and feel like I've really gotten control over the muscle tightness. Was going to workout in the gym too, but got a little later of a start because my son slept in a bit this morning and then the last half mile of our run the gods decided I wasn't having enough fun so they opened up the flood gates and let the rain just flat dump. It normally doesn't rain that hard at all here, but this was fun and I was all smiles ear to ear.

Alright Nick! you're becoming such a runner and very soon you'll be running marathons. Way to go!

Alright Nick! you're becoming such a runner and very soon you'll be running marathons. Way to go!
I dunno Dama, I'm happy right now at my little over 6 miles. Not gonna push to increase distance yet. First I want to focus on losing weight, then we'll see about adding distance once the weight is lost. I really believe the extra 20-30 pounds does contribute to injury.

Well I've been mostly absent from the forums for a couple/few weeks it will take me a few days to catch up what everyone has been doing!

Truth is I hit low. 3 weekends ago I hit 16mi and it felt awesome. Even had some decent low 8 splits. But a couple days later for my next run I did 8.3mi and was completely exhausted. My fastest split was mid 9's. I felt physically drained. Mentally too, from more things than the run. I took an extra day off and ran on the 3rd day after, 9.1 miles and still felt mentally and physically drained. That was a friday. That weekend I just didnt even feel like doing a long run at all. Plus I had a boatload of stuff to do around the house. First weekend I skipped a long run in a while. Following monday (6/10) I felt a little better rested and hoped to get back in the swing of things. A storm cut me off early, 5mi. 6/12 I got my typical midweek 8-9 miler in, did 8.8 but still wasnt feeling myself. Most splits in mid 9's. Two days later went to town with the family, out late, no run. Then over the weekend, really busy again and no motivation, no run. So went from my weeks in the low 30 mile range down to two weeks under 20! Oh no! And I was hoping to be at about 20 miles by now for my long run alone!
I dont know what it was, a combination of things probably, but I think the biggest thing might have been the 16 miler. I think I'm hitting the point where my training techniques and diet might be getting more critical, and my diet as of late isnt as good as it could be. Insufficient rest and stress could be hurting me a bit too. It just felt like I never recovered from it.

Well this Monday I had off and tried to get a long run in, but instead of trying to hit 16 or more I dropped my long run way down just to be cautious, but I also threw in a bike ride... did the Kokosing Gap Trail which I did a couple times last year. About 13.5mi end to end. I stashed my bike at the end so I ran it then biked back:
kgt6-17-13.JPG
I highlighted the legit ones, the other ones included some walking or standing still, etc.

To get my splits I tried to hit the lap button every mile, but as you can see I kept forgetting to until a tenth or two late. Is there any way with a garmin forerunner to do this automatically or something? Remembering to hit the button is a pain! There are a couple oddball splits in there where I stopped for a bathroom or to fill my water up at a couple of the stops. My garmin died on the bike ride so didnt get those figures. But a good 20 minutes faster than last year! And I even forgot to stop the timer when I did some stretch/excersizes a half mile in.

I have the data from the two times I did it last year. I didnt hit the lap button every mile so just to compare totals...
kgt9-6-12.JPG
^Was a bit shorter, I started at the second parking lot.
kgt8-28-12.JPG

Reactions: happysongbird
I dunno Dama, I'm happy right now at my little over 6 miles. Not gonna push to increase distance yet. First I want to focus on losing weight, then we'll see about adding distance once the weight is lost. I really believe the extra 20-30 pounds does contribute to injury.

If it's of any comfort I am small and injured all the time lately. And by no means I am suggesting to push it you're doing great the way you're aproaching your distance building. So keep at it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7