Mileage Reporting 25th Week of 2013

Thursday afternoon 6/20/2013
Battle Creek Regional Park loop
5.42 mi / 8.7 km total
4.6 mi / 7.4 km run
90 F / 32 C - hot and humid!

I had business in eastern St. Paul again, so instead of the usual run I do there around nearby Lake Phalen, I decided to drive a bit further east to a nice regional park built around a creek that drains into the Mississippi and cuts through some limestone bluffs. First I ran on the park’s rolling paths up on top of the bluffs for a mile or so, then descended down the outside of the park on a couple of big streets. The first street had a bike path on the side, but on the second one I was running on the shoulder. Luckily there wasn’t too much traffic on it. Once I got to the lower park entrance, I stopped to stretch a bit and walk around, read an historical marker, and then ran up through the middle of the park along the creek, ascending back up to the top of the bluff. The two-mile ascent was very picturesque, with lots of little water falls. It was pretty hot though, so when I got back up to the plateau, I cut out the last section of my planned run and walked the last half mile or so back to the car. I was knackered. Still, managed a decent aerobic pace on the ascent, and 10:23 mm overall.

It’s always fun to explore new routes. I’ll have to do this one again next time I’m in the area.
there is some sole conditioning to be done for this hot pavement stuff. the soles of my feet are tingly all over:)
Yah, I got a little of that yesterday too. Gotta love the extra stimulation and variety that barefooting brings!

Thursday afternoon 6/20/2013
Battle Creek Regional Park loop
5.42 mi / 8.7 km total
4.6 mi / 7.4 km run
90 F / 32 C - hot and humid!

I had business in eastern St. Paul again, so instead of the usual run I do there around nearby Lake Phelan, I decided to drive a bit further east to a nice regional park built around a creek that drains into the Mississippi and cuts through some limestone bluffs. First I ran up on the park’s rolling paths up on top of the bluffs for a mile or so, then descended down the outside of the park on a couple of big streets. The first street had a bike path on the side, but on the second one I was running on the shoulder. Luckily there wasn’t too much rush hour traffic on it yet. Once I got to the lower park entrance, I stopped to stretch a bit and walk around, read an historic marker, and then ran up through the middle of the park along the creek, ascending back up to the top of the bluff. The ascent was very picturesque, with lots of little water falls. It was pretty hot though, so when I got back up to the plateau, I cut out the last section of my planned run and walked the last half mile or so back to the car. I was knackered. Still, managed a decent aerobic pace on the ascent.

It’s always fun to explore new routes. I’ll have to do this one again next time I’m in the area.

Yah, I got a little of that yesterday too. Gotta love the extra stimulation and variety that barefooting brings!

The route sounds lovely except, of course, for the shoulder section which sound dangerous.
Agreed about the extra stimulation, most times I like it but there are some not too enjoyable experiences.

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
Keep wanting to do a long run this week but work keeps stopping me. Just found out I will do a 30 + trail run on Sunday so I guess I will taper. Chased the dog around the yard a little today barefoot, so a little bit of mileage.

Find a different line of work then:D.

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
The route sounds lovely except, of course, for the shoulder section which sound dangerous.
Agreed about the extra stimulation, most times I like it but there are some not too enjoyable experiences.
Yah, but it was four lanes and almost no one was on it, and it was just for a half-mile or so . . . most of the descent was on the bike/foot path. Still, next time I may just run down and up the path that runs along the creek. It was very tranquil in there. I could almost imagine that I was far away from the city if not for the occasional brake screeching from the big railroad yard nearby close to the river's floodplain.

Don't know how much hotter I can take the asphalt. I guess that will be my challenge this summer, since I've totally bailed on the challenge of seeking out gravel more often. Looks like the gravelly sand down on the junior high school track is about as hardcore as I'll ever get on a regular basis.

As for the barefoot sandals, here's what I ended up with from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054G5EUQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
41NDcyq5krL._SS40_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UZGMJ6/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
41FgtvfxnJL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg

and this one on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Han...736&pid=100012&prg=1014&rk=2&sd=300922235634&

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Yah, but it was four lanes and almost no one was on it, and it was just for a half-mile or so . . . most of the descent was on the bike/foot path. Still, next time I may just run down and up the path that runs along the creek. It was very tranquil in there. I could almost imagine that I was far away from the city if not for the occasional brake screeching from the big railroad yard nearby close to the river's floodplain.

Don't know how much hotter I can take the asphalt. I guess that will be my challenge this summer, since I've totally bailed on the challenge of seeking out gravel more often. Looks like the gravelly sand down on the junior high school track is about as hardcore as I'll ever get on a regular basis.

As for the barefoot sandals, here's what I ended up with from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054G5EUQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
41NDcyq5krL._SS40_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UZGMJ6/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
41FgtvfxnJL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg

and this one on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Han...736&pid=100012&prg=1014&rk=2&sd=300922235634&
It takes time to get your soles conditioned to the heat by the end of summer I can go long and THEN guess what happens the weather turns cold :mad:.
The sandals are lovely, it will be hard to choose my favorites, I think I need me some of those:rolleyes:
Thanks for the links.

Reactions: Bare Lee
3.2 miles in my lunas today. First mile was a 9:13 pace, second mile was a 9:51 pace, and the third was 10:22 pace, and the last .2 was pretty dang fast but I don't know what my pace was for that. Overall I averaged a 9:45 for the whole run even while pushing the stroller! Felt really good and strong. about 1.5 miles in I started hitting some slight uphills and then the last mile was all uphill, so I am really happy with this pace and run. I had to go back a month in my training logs to find a pace that was close to that, only that run was on as flat as flat can be and was just a short 2 mile run. Getting better! Starting to feel like a real runner now. Also went to the gym and did ST of back, legs, and abs. Now on to a nice two day break from planned exercises and just enjoying my last weekend before school starts back up again.

No hills today ran the flats at Rabbit Hill park, calf muscles are a bit run down from last Sunday's run. Hi 70's humidity felt lower than normal about 60% so ran about 1.5 miles at tempo pace mixed in with a bunch of different speeds. 1 hour... 7.4 miles total felt good but still too hot on some of the tempo parts. I don't think I'm going to do any racing till the temps go back down in Sept or Oct.

3.2 miles in my lunas today. First mile was a 9:13 pace, second mile was a 9:51 pace, and the third was 10:22 pace, and the last .2 was pretty dang fast but I don't know what my pace was for that. Overall I averaged a 9:45 for the whole run even while pushing the stroller! Felt really good and strong. about 1.5 miles in I started hitting some slight uphills and then the last mile was all uphill, so I am really happy with this pace and run. I had to go back a month in my training logs to find a pace that was close to that, only that run was on as flat as flat can be and was just a short 2 mile run. Getting better! Starting to feel like a real runner now. Also went to the gym and did ST of back, legs, and abs. Now on to a nice two day break from planned exercises and just enjoying my last weekend before school starts back up again.

And don't forget your trigger point therapy on your days off, son...lol!

Friday afternoon
Top ST

I was pretty tired, so started off slow, and even considered bailing after my bench and military presses, but I managed to do most of the rest of my 'top' (chest, shoulders, arms) exercises and got a good, pre-beef skewer & red wine pump. Now that I've more or less finished a yearlong tweaking of my strength-training routine--experimenting with different orders, exercises, and equipment--the workouts are getting a little boring. But a more thoughtful and thoroughgoing approach is getting good results, so I don't mind.

3.75 trails. I can not even begin to describe how much weightlifting has helped my running, in many, many ways. This is amazing considering that I have only done about 5 hours worth over the last 10 days.
Cool.

It's too bad bodybuilders have turned so many people off to weightlifting/strength-training. Done right, it has so many health benefits--supports the joints, increases bone density, prevents injuries, increases immune system function, fosters a higher overall metabolic rate, and so on. Plus, it's a confidence booster to feel relatively strong and fit.

Lifting or running?
Fruits or vegetables?
Massaging or stretching?
Beer or wine?
Football or football?

Swam about 30 minutes yesterday, but the best part was that I managed a 20 minute interval. It wasn't super fast, by any measure, but just swimming that long without any kind of a break (in my pool there are no ends of the lane...) is an accomplishment. Edit: I forgot to add that I rode the spinning bike 60 minutes after that!

Then, today a daughter and I got out for a 14 mile bike ride. The wind picked up on the way back and naturally was against us. With the hills, I still managed a good pace for me (3:30 - 4:10 mm), but I paid for it when I tried to run. I attempted hills on the run, too. And rough pavement. Those legs were screaming at me part of the time, but it ended up being a decent enough 4.something miles, although not anywhere near as fast as last weekend's run after the bike.

About 4 miles, hit the wall at about 2.5 miles. The other 1.5 mile was walking about .25 mile tempo run for .5 mile until I got home. I really have to eat something before I head for my morning runs. This morning all I had in my tank was 1 cup of coffee. I guess I am one of those guys that can not run while fasting. :confused:
I need fuel sooner than others, in my experience. In fact, I think I need a snack right now!

Dutchie, maybe you need to start slow and then speed up. are you fat adapted? i can go somewhat fast and far w/out food.

today i did my 20 min test per Orton's program to test for my avg HR. 186bpm. i got to 195 and had to exhale through my mouth 4 times. bfast sure helped with the run this afternoon. i hit 2.5m in that time. 8m/m pace. i could probably do a 24 min 5k. big improvement from a few years ago and didn't really feel that fast but i'm a bit tired. my HR was really high the whole time and i slowed down as the test progressed. my first mile was actually faster than last week's 1 mile test. 7:14 compared to 7:22.

16.5km (10.2mi), as part of the program, I needed to do 6mi @ 9'30"/mi - 3mi @ 9'/mi and finish with 1mi @ 9'30"mi....I achieved that (9'10" - 8'50" - 9'10")....soles are a bit tender though.

Next week need to get a total of 60km (about 37mi) !