Mileage Reporting 14th Week of 2013

Oh, and yesterday I got the, "people of your age start to have minor problems...." comment. Errrrggggggg. Like I am old or something at 35. Really?

:wtf: where does that put me?

Oh Dama, I did listen to you. Very much so in fact. I was scared s***less I would hurt myself exercising while on them, so I didn't at all. It helped that I was really sick during this time to so didn't feel much like working out at all.

Well that just makes me happy to hear it-sorry I judged you wrong. :sorry:

Reactions: scedastic and NickW
Reactions: NickW
Oh, and yesterday I got the, "people of your age start to have minor problems...." comment. Errrrggggggg. Like I am old or something at 35. Really?
Take heart.
Yeah, I got that from the podiatrist I saw last year about my twisted ankle. He made sure to let me know I was running too many miles for my age but that I was going to keep getting injured because "people like me" don't learn to deal with their bodies as they age.
If I were younger, Iwouldn't have been out staring at the stars as I ran at 530 in the morning. Maybe I would have been hungover, or asleep in bed, but I was in a lot better shape than I was when I was "younger."
Moreover, I was probably in better shape than the podiatrist. Sadly, I think of all these excellent come backs 2 days after my opportunity to say "oh yeah!" is gone.

I can still go to the gym and do weights, just nothing that is going to bother the peroneal tendon. I am apparently also not over this stupid sickness yet either as it has started coming back yesterday, even after the 10 day course of broad scope antibiotics. Ugh.

Keep focusing on what you CAN do, which is a lot, really. Work that upper body. Work on balance (not using ankle). Find some new way of working out that is interesting. Force yourself to stick with it. Remind yourself of the new thing that you are doing that you wouldn't have had time for otherwise.
A few weeks more seems awful, especially when you feel you have waited so long, but it will go quickly.
You will come back stronger and better.
And btw, you are ridiculously young. You will heal and have lots of running years ahead.

Keep focusing on what you CAN do, which is a lot, really. Work that upper body. Work on balance (not using ankle). Find some new way of working out that is interesting. Force yourself to stick with it. Remind yourself of the new thing that you are doing that you wouldn't have had time for otherwise.
A few weeks more seems awful, especially when you feel you have waited so long, but it will go quickly.
You will come back stronger and better.
And btw, you are ridiculously young. You will heal and have lots of running years ahead.
Thanks Sced. I know I am relatively young so that was why I was so shocked to hear the at my age comment. My wife has heard that quite a bit lately because apparently at 35 we are in a much higher risk of problems with her pregnancy. I dunno, I know I was really hard on my body when I was younger and I do try to take things quite a bit easier than I used to. I don't know though, the podiatrist did tell me that when we hit my age our muscles start to break down more frequently and not heal as fast and we can end up with slight tears and not even realize it. I just hope I can bounce back from this latest lower leg injury and get back to running. I miss it sooooooooooooooo much. I find it really hard to control my weight without running. I also notice I am healthier (meaning don't get sick as often) when I am able to run.

Six and a half miles today, still very windy but beats indoor running that's for sure.
Did you see what I did here?
Monday-5 mi
Tuesday-5.5 mi
Wednesday-6.0 mi
Thursday 6.5 mi
I don't remember when was the last time I ran four days in a row-it feels awesome(don't read this Nick).

Nada nothing zilch zippo in terms of exercise since yesterday morning's run.
Too. Much. Work. Blech...

That's a bummer but your body will appreciate the forced rest day-so enjoy it! Oh wait, can't enjoy it you're working sorry.

Well I was going to run an extra .25 miles tonight but ended up doing my same old boring 3.2 mi. My plan is to increase my mileage by .25 mi every two weeks. I know you're probably laughing :hilarious: at that thinking I should have called myself "turtle feet" or "slow barefoot" instead of Go Barefoot. ;) Last summer I seemed to over do my running distance (TMTS) and ended up with too much down time because of it and don't want a repeat of last summer. Yeah I know its not the 10 percent rule but I thought maybe I would start out slow and increase my two week distance more than that if Im feeling good about my runs later on. So far everything is going good and I feel like I could actually increase my distance up to maybe a half mile. Im still building up my soles and think maybe it would be better to be able to run more consecutive days before building my distance up too far. You fellow runners know more about this than I do though. What do you experts suggest?

I signed up for the local Race for Grace this Saturday morning and want to make sure Im not sore for the race. They only offered a 2 mile run and a 10 K. Wish I was up to the 10k distance but not there yet. Cant believe there isnt a 5K distance. Thats what I was hoping for. Im a bit anxious about it as this will be the first race for me ever. I really wanted to run this barefoot but I checked out the area of the run and its not in the best part of town so there is quite a bit of glass on the roads for the 2 mile distance. Guess I'll wear my VFF's. I havent ran in them since... well quite awhile ago. I'd rather run BF and am a bit worried about my form but I guess its only 2 miles.

Tonight I ran the 3.2 miles in 26 m 46s. (8.21m/m) The temps were in the mid 60's and will be all weekend. Yip! Yip! Yippee! Oh yeah and my wife went walking on the trails tonight while I ran and took a photo of me running. I'll try to change my avatar tonight.

So is he going to give you exercises to strengthen those muscles?
We're taking it one step at a time right now Sid. Rest for two weeks then go back in and reevaluate and see if this gets any better. If not, then may need an mri to see if it's worse than thought or if something else is the matter that they are just not seeing.

Reactions: Go Barefoot and Sid
Yeah I know its not the 10 percent rule but I thought maybe I would start out slow and increase my two week distance more than that if Im feeling good about my runs later on. What do you experts suggest?

I signed up for the local Race for Grace this Saturday morning and want to make sure Im not sore for the race. They only offered a 2 mile run and a 10 K.
quite a bit of glass on the roads for the 2 mile distance. Guess I'll wear my VFF's. I havent ran in them since... well quite awhile ago. I'd rather run BF and am a bit worried about my form but I guess its only 2 miles.

Tonight I ran the 3.2 miles in 26 m 46s. (8.21m/m)
I suggest that taking it as slow as you want to is fine. I think you will reach a point where you know you can increase more without much risk.

As for the race, I have had to make the decision a few times to wear my running mocs due to rough roads. I was always glad I did, even though I much prefer bare feet and been doing most of my training without footwear. The main trick is to make sure you wear footwear just enough so that when you do wear it, there are not blisters from not being used to it.

Congrats on your 3.2 mile time!

Well I overdid it lately, a little to enthusiastic and enjoying the mileage. Despite the small blister I got last weekend, which was on my toe, I went out for an easy pace 8mi on monday. Well my soles were burning half way though and later I noticed the blister quadroupled in size. Its now covering the whole bottom part of the toe and and around the sides a little. I've taken the rest of the week off but want to do something today since I'm not going to be able to run over the weekend. I think my soles have recovered I'm just worried about the blister. I signed up for a 10k next weekend on the 14th. I dont want it to rupture and have really sensative skin for the race. Curse my wimpy feet! :mad:

Wednesday afternoon
Bottom ST
Nice pump. Tried deadlifts with my new trap bar. Abide had recommended one, so like a good gear junkie, I immediately bought one after several weeks--$206 with shipping. It looks like this, except I got one for standard, not Olympic, plates:

First I did some deadlifts at 225. I was going to do 275 but decided to ease off since I didn't know what to expect for the trap lifts, which I did next, at 245, then I did squats at 175 max. I had thought the trap lifts were going to be like a bi-liftal child of barbell deadlifts and squats, but my initial impression is that the trap lifts are more closely related to dead lifts than squats. Maybe the two lifts are brothers, and the squat is the trap lift's son, making the dead lift the squat's uncle. Or perhaps the squat is married to the trap lift and the dead lift is her husband's brother, that is, her brother-in-law. In other worlds, the trap lift felt like a variation on the dead lift, kind of like bench flies are a variation on the bench press. You're working the same area but with a different grip so somewhat different muscles come into play. I think I felt it more in my upper back, around my shoulder blades, on the initial lift-off, and yesterday that area was a little sore. I'll use the trap bar again today for its originally intended use--shoulder shrugs, on today's TOP ST workout. I'm also starting to get into the leg extensions. I stopped doing those years ago, but I think it's good to work the quads more to make sure my knees are properly supported when I run.

Thursday, early afternoon
6 mi / 9.7 km
40s I think

I had business just east of downtown St. Paul, just like last Thursday, but in the early afternoon instead of the early morning, so I decided to head for the nearby Phalen Park area again afterwards for my run. I thought about doing the same 8.4-mile circuit I did last week after my ultrasound, but, after getting a buzz on Tuesday's short but sweet faster paced run, I kinda wanted to see what a tempo run would feel like, so I chose the path around the lake instead, since it's continuous with no crossings or lights or anything. It's mostly flat except for two big hills on opposite shores in the middle of the elongated lake. The creek that runs through the lake must've cut through a ridge some time in the past.

I thought my legs might feel a bit heavy after the prior day's lower body st workout, but they loosened up nicely after about a half mile or so. There was a fair amount of headwind heading north, but on the east side it was pretty warm, so after one lap around the lake's three-mile circumference, I stopped briefly at my car in the main parking lot to shed my jacket and do the second lap with just my base layer. Man, it sure felt good to run unburdened by layers. I managed a 9:11 pace overall, and was close to 9mm pace for the first 4.5 miles of the run, but then I began to tire out and so came down to a more aerobic pace. I thought about doing one more lap at this pace, but I reminded myself not to get too caught up in exuberance, and so thought best to see how my body reacts to the first longish run at a decent pace in many moons. I haven't run like that for about nine months I think, pre-TOFP recurrence, ITBS, and MCL sprain.

So, very satisfying run. Then I ran a few more errands, picked up the kids, grilled some t-bones, drank some Garnacha wine, and then had a delightful evening at the Shrine Circus in the fairground's Coliseum. I love the circus and its shabby romance, the sedated animals and the amazing Mexican acrobats doing double-duty during intermission at the face paint stands and pony rides.

Thanks Sced. I know I am relatively young so that was why I was so shocked to hear the at my age comment. My wife has heard that quite a bit lately because apparently at 35 we are in a much higher risk of problems with her pregnancy. I dunno, I know I was really hard on my body when I was younger and I do try to take things quite a bit easier than I used to. I don't know though, the podiatrist did tell me that when we hit my age our muscles start to break down more frequently and not heal as fast and we can end up with slight tears and not even realize it. I just hope I can bounce back from this latest lower leg injury and get back to running. I miss it sooooooooooooooo much. I find it really hard to control my weight without running. I also notice I am healthier (meaning don't get sick as often) when I am able to run.
Nick, for me it's like this: the first thing to go is speed/quickness. Then stamina, then strength. I didn't notice any drop off in strength until recently. And, as you know, I never had any problems with niggles until recently either, and that was mostly because I had allowed myself to get out of shape for five years. So, I conclude, that if you take care of yourself, for the most part, the onset of age-related decomposition can be put off a lot later than average. I'm starting to feel as good as I did ten years ago, it's just that now I'm a bit more cautious and attentive to any signs of trouble. I think once you get through this phase of niggledom, you have every right to expect many injury-free decades of exercise and fitness.

As for pregnancy, I've heard it makes a big difference if a woman is having her first or nth child in her mid-thirties, as far as risk goes, but I'm sure HBS and others have a lot more to say about that.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon