Mileage Reporting 14th Week of 2013

Man, that was the hardest 13 miles I've ever run! Well, it IS the only time I have run that far! But, seriously, if I could do it today with very trying hormonal conditions, I can probably do it any day. I was very tired. Tested the upcoming 13.1 race course and founf most of it to be extemely rough. Was feeling it a lot through my moc3s.

Wow! Good job on the 13 miles. Wish I was up near that kind of mileage.

Reactions: happysongbird
Man, that was the hardest 13 miles I've ever run! Well, it IS the only time I have run that far! But, seriously, if I could do it today with very trying hormonal conditions, I can probably do it any day. I was very tired. Tested the upcoming 13.1 race course and founf most of it to be extemely rough. Was feeling it a lot through my moc3s.
Good confidence builder, then, since you know race day you are likely to feel that much better?

That's also good that you got to find out the conditions on the course; it's a local race, then, or did you drive a ways to it?

Friday afternoon
Top ST workout
Good pump

I was able to push things a bit again today. It's so great how my strength-training and running are really coming together at the same time. At this rate I'll be at or close to my general fitness goals by the end of this year, and hopefully close to 200 pounds as well.

I upped the weight on my front pull-downs by 10 pounds, which was enough to raise me off the stool, so definitely time to start using my new joist-mounted pull-up bar for more than ab work. And I can do my back pull-downs without feeling much of any strain in my shoulder. This is the exercise on which I strained my shoulder a few months ago when I went right at it without warming up, cuz I was in a hurry with limited time. I also did my neck extensions for the first time in a couple of months, with my SM/bondage-like harness (I hope this doesn't give Jen ideas). They're kind of a ridiculous exercise, since I have no desire to have one of those thick bodybuilder's necks, but I think a little strengthening may serve the purpose of keeping the neck healthy and injury-free. It may even help the neck stabilize my thoughts and keep them aligned long enough to make sense. At the end of the session I tried shoulder shrugs with my new trap bar. I've usually shrugged off shrugging in the past, but with the trap bar they're kind of fun. Overall I got a very good pump all through my shoulders and the middle of my back, so much so that I worried a bit about something seizing on me like the traps did last fall, but I came away unscathed.

I also managed to clean up the garage and get all the kitchen fire stuff from the basement back into the basement now that the clean-up is done. Next week they start remodelling.

I ran for 4 weeks every thursday on that grassy track without any problems, but the day it rained/poured down I managed to stick little spines in my feet, so bad that I could not run yesterday !! It almost got to the point of not being able to walk...I took the steps of trying to get them out with tweezers, and I think it worked...So I will be able to do my long run tomorrow (Sunday)...

In summer these spines are all over grassed areas here, but I never thought that it would cause me problems on a rainy day...
Ouch Andy!

Way to go Laura! I'm going to try a 10-miler today, which will be my first if I succeed. Send the good vibes my way . . .

Not sure how to pace it. I could do my usual 10mm aerobic pace, but I was thinking of trying 15-30 sec per mile faster to keep the ITBS at bay, and perhaps take stretching breaks every 2 miles or so. We'll see. I sometimes have to remind myself how awesome it is just to contemplate these sorts of distances, but participation on this forum makes it all seem so normal.

Wow! Good job on the 13 miles. Wish I was up near that kind of mileage.
Well, I don't actually feel "up to anything" at this point, but I did it and that is something. It took me 3 years of working on the barefoot form to get to this point.

Good confidence builder, then, since you know race day you are likely to feel that much better?

That's also good that you got to find out the conditions on the course; it's a local race, then, or did you drive a ways to it?
It's basically local. Our drive is about 30 minutes away from the race start if my husband is driving, 40 minutes if I am...:p Yes, I expect to feel better on race day. Also, I did stop to try running with bare feet several times, since I didn't know how far any particular section of path would last. And to take a couple of photos. My husband says that he thinks it is harder on the legs to stop and start so much. I know that by mile 10 the legs were feeling like they might shut down! I tried to play mind games with myself, saying "you only have 5K left to go, which used to be as far as you raced. See how much you have progressed!"

Reactions: Bare Lee
Way to go Laura! I'm going to try a 10-miler today, which will be my first if I succeed. Send the good vibes my way . . .

Not sure how to pace it. I could do my usual 10mm aerobic pace, but I was thinking of trying 15-30 sec per mile faster to keep the ITBS at bay, and perhaps take stretching breaks every 2 miles or so. We'll see. I sometimes have to remind myself how awesome it is just to contemplate these sorts of distances, but participation on this forum makes it all seem so normal.
One thing that helped me work up to distance is to have a mind set of the longer runs being of flexible pace, more like a mild Fartlek run. I try to keep it going, much like I wrote about when working through that pain; the idea of the forward motion helps me more than thinking about speed per se. That helps me not tighten up, which I will do if I am thinking too much about trying hard for speed. Enjoy the motion! Hope it is a good run for you.

One thing that helped me work up to distance is to have a mind set of the longer runs being of flexible pace, more like a mild Fartlek run. I try to keep it going, much like I wrote about when working through that pain; the idea of the forward motion helps me more than thinking about speed per se. That helps me not tighten up, which I will do if I am thinking too much about trying hard for speed. Enjoy the motion! Hope it is a good run for you.
Thanks!

Yah, for me the problem is going too slow. I know at 10mm pace I can run forever, cardiovascularly, but slower paces also tend to make my ITB tighten, so it's kind of a balancing act. When I run 9mm pace I have no ITB issues whatsoever. But right now I can only sustain that pace for about five miles.

I think I'll try just a little faster than my pure aerobic pace, somewhere in the 9:30-9:45 mm range, and take 3-5 stretching breaks to keep the ITB loose, which will serve to give me a quick breather as well. My general strategy since last December is to slowly phase out the stretching breaks, and this seems to be working, but I think when I try to bump up the distance a bit, it's a good idea to work them back in until the new max distance becomes comfortable. It's frustrating, because part of me wants to just go out and run 20 miles, but I'm doing my best to be patient, and let the distance come to me.

Your running accomplishments and goals are awesome; it's just that participating on this forum gets you into contact with lots of awesomeness, but precious little normality. ;)

Anyhow, it's a nice day for a long one. Good luck and I hope the weather is nice for it; I don't think you Minn. folks are going to get the rain that seems to be heading our way. At least it should be warm enough NOT to be winter bare qualifying, right??

First post on this forum since sometime last year. I haven't been running at all for at least 4 months...took the winter off due to my crappy work hours.

Went out yesterday for first run of the year...a nice easy 4 miles barefoot on a paved park trail... oh my have I lost a lot of speed..I'm down about 3 minutes per mile for the same effort. My fitness should come back pretty fast but no biggie either way...I forgot how much I love barefoot running!

Your running accomplishments and goals are awesome; it's just that participating on this forum gets you into contact with lots of awesomeness, but precious little normality. ;)
Thanks!

I think you paraphrased me, no? But yeah, hearing from awesome runners like you does tend to dampen the signal, as it were, until you mention to a friend or family member that you just ran eight miles barefoot and see their incredulous reaction. Then you remember what is was like first getting back into shape and having your legs tell you to stop after just a few blocks. My wife is starting to get a little worried now that the mileage is creeping up again, but mostly she treats it as another eccentricity, like learning the language of her matriline when no one speaks it around here, not even her. After a long run, she tells me I look just fine, no need to overdo it. But I like having a minor physical challenge mixed into my weekly routine as a sort of medium spicy side dish to accompany my hearty but bland work life. Then family life is desert, to completely the analogy.

Anyhow, it's a nice day for a long one. Good luck and I hope the weather is nice for it; I don't think you Minn. folks are going to get the rain that seems to be heading our way. At least it should be warm enough NOT to be winter bare qualifying, right??
Weather-wise, we might get a little rain in the next hour or two, but should be mostly cloudy and 50 F by the time I head out. With the wind, it will be a winter bare qualifying run, about 36 F windchill, but for me that's perfectly fine after enduring single-digit windchills. The only question is whether to bring two or three layers, in case the wind picks up more than predicted. So nice not to have to bring back-up footwear. Even if the ITBS ogre rears his ugly head, I should be able to walk home no problem.

Generally though, you Mich folks get our weather about a day later, more or less. Yesterday evening we had some light flurries, so that must be your rain today. Tomorrow's supposed to be 50F and sunny so I'm taking the fam out for our first picnic of the season down by the Mississippi River. Should be able to hear some of these animal sounds you've been talking about . . .

20km (12.5mi) slow run today, my feets are killing me, but I know that this afternoon I'll be fine....no blisters, just very tender skin now....I managed to do that within my target of 2h, very happy, specially that the last 9km were all very testing little hills

Thanks!

I think you paraphrased me, no? But yeah, hearing from awesome runners like you does tend to dampen the signal, as it were, until you mention to a friend or family member that you just ran eight miles barefoot and see their incredulous reaction. Then you remember what is was like first getting back into shape and having your legs tell you to stop after just a few blocks.

Honestly, if someone asks how far I've run in a day, I get about the same blank reaction whether I say five miles or fifteen. They generally don't have a conception of what it takes to go a distance, so I could also say "I ran a gajillion miles and wove a basket from kitty hair lint today" and it may have the same effect. Eyebrows raised in more confusion than accolades.

Well, I don't actually feel "up to anything" at this point, but I did it and that is something. It took me 3 years of working on the barefoot form to get to this point.

Know what your saying about working on the form. I too notice that after my longer runs (4 miles or slightly over) that I start to develope a small sore spot on the ball of my left foot. Found out that it is from a very slight twisting motion I make on that foot. I've concluded it's caused by weaker muscles in that leg and or ankle as is is improving over time. Im sure I have more work to do on my form to get up to the higher distances I want to achieve by the end of summer.

Well today I ran in the local Race for Grace and the weather could'nt have been much nicer. Over night lows were around 50 with some wind but the race was downtown which broke the wind a fair amount. Several weeks ago I signed up for the 2 mile run as the only other distance they offered was a 10K. I chose the 2 mile run over the 10k as my usual runs were only 3.2 miles with the occasional 4 to almost 4.5 mile run which usually left my legs slightly sore. Would have prefered a 5K.

I ended up wearing my VFF's do to the glass on the streets and it was the right decision in the end even though I would rather run BF. I started off the race running what I felt was much faster than I normally run but found it a bit hard to tell as Im not used to running while being surrounded by people and the VFF's seemed to take away a sense of feeling that I never realized until then that I must use to mentally track my pace during my runs. After passing quite a few people I decided I had better slow things down a bit so I wouldnt lose steam in the end. Halfway through I realized I should have left the light jacket back at the strating line as I was felling a bit to warm. Thought about taking it off but remembered the timing tag was pinned to the front. Decided to leave it on which was a good thing as after the race I realized it got pinned to the T shirt I was wearing underneath. The last mile went well but did slow down just a bit as I still thought I was running somewhat faster than my normal runs on the local bike trails. After crossing the finsh line I met up with my wife and I lost that jacket to cool down a bit. Later we cheked my time that was posted after the 2 mile race was over. Apparently with the adrenaline rush and the loss of being able to judge my speed wearing the VFF's I ran faster than usual as my pace was 6:23 mm. Way faster than my usual 8 to 9 mm's. My wife and I watched some of the runners finish the 10k and then left before the awards ceremony.

After getting home and reading the race results page several hours after the race my wife noticed they made a mistake and placed me in the female category instead of the males and that I won first place in my age group in the womens category. :rolleyes: Then we were looking at where I might have placed if in the male category where I should have been in the first placed and it appeared like I could have been in 2nd place in the male ages 40 to 49 years old. Sigh..... Oh well! Wish I would have known about the age categories and the gender mistake but I guess this being my first race I did learn alot. I sure had fun and participated just for the fun of it anyway. Really enjoyed the atmosphere also. The whole thing seemed to be such a positive experience and really provided more drive to continue to increase my distance and look forward to participating in a 10k sometime. Gonna have to enter another in the near future hoping to find a 5k I can run barefoot. I came in 26th place overall and was happy with my time despite getting grouped in the incorrect category.

One more thing... after all of the other hobbies I've had in the past such as working on my old cars and going to classic car shows I always wondered where all the good looking girls hang out and now I know. It at these races. :)

Saturday afternoon
9.71 mi / 15.63 km
9.8 mi / 15.77 km total
40 F / 4.5 C
31 F / -.5 C windchill
rain, rain, rain

My chosen route was basically one big square, first heading up my street to a major street out of the neighborhood, then straight north on that into the first-tier suburb Roseville, then turn right heading straight east on County Road B, then turn south on Victoria, a street near a small nature reserve, down to Como Lake, and then turn west on Como Ave after rounding Como Lake's southern shore. Each side of the square is between 2 to 2.5 mi, with another .5 miles or so on the initial run up my street to get out of and get back into my neighborhood. So 10.5 miles total according to Google Maps. The route is also one gradual climb up to the mid point, and then one gradual descent working my way home, but with a few small hills along the way.

It was supposed to clear up by the time it was time for my run, but the drizzle continued throughout most of it. The windchill was just below freezing, and so with the wind and wet surfaces my feet numbed down gradually until about 2-3 miles into the run, when they stabilized. For a while I thought I would have to put on my Moc3 back-ups, as I began to lose feeling inside my outside metatarsal region on my left foot, but that recovered, and so it was mostly my toes and soles that felt cold for the rest of the run.

I started out a bit slow, at 10:30 mm pace, on the gradual incline and while adapting to the frigid conditions, but then once up on the plain of Roseville, my pace dipped down into the 9:15mm to 9:45 range. I felt pretty strong, and didn't feel any need to stop and stretch, and with my foot numbness close to my limit, I didn't really want to stop and risk having the numb plunge any further anyhow.

County Road B passes through a pretty busy shopping area. I could've avoided it by taking a biggish street that parallels it a half mile south, Roselawn, but that street's bike path has about a mile of mild chipseal, and in the cold drizzle I didn't really want to deal with a harsher surface. At the entrance to one of the shopping area's parking lots, one guy cut me off while turning right. I saw him in my peripheral vision, so when he passed in front of me I slammed my hands into his rear passenger window to scare him into thinking he hit me, to make him think twice about pulling the same stunt in the future, when he really might hit someone. Next time I try this route it'll be warmer and/or drier so I'll definitely be taking Roselawn to avoid the shopping area.

Anyway, by the time I got to the midway point, turning down Victoria, I knew I had my 10-miler in the bag. I stopped briefly to check for glass on a painful spot in my right heal, and took advantage of the break to do a quick stretch, but otherwise felt fine. Farther on there's a spot where Victoria turns west briefly before resuming its course south, and just there a few longer puddles, debris, and remaining slush nearly did me in. That kind of distracted me, and so when it came time to resume my southerly course down Victoria, I missed the turn and continued west on Roselawn, which is what Victoria becomes if you continue straight. I didn't realize it until my feet had recovered and I was no longer debating putting on the Moc3s, but by then I had already gone a couple of blocks down Roselawn and was nearly back to the next major street, Lexington, which parallels Victoria.

So I turned left and went south down Lexington, which passes through another busy shopping section. And its sidewalks were especially full of debris for some reason. Once past that area, across Larpenter Avenue and back in St. Paul, I cut west into the Como Park neighborhood, instead of continuing south on to Como Lake, and then found my way to Snelling Ave, the next major North-South road, which borders Como Park and my neighborhood and the Fairgrounds. The light to cross Snelling into the Fairgrounds had just turned red, and that's a long a$$ light, so I ran south down the sidewalk along Snelling, listening to yet more unpleasant traffic zooming by on the wet roads. Saturday shopping traffic was at full force by that time.

Just before the next light to cross Snelling, I was able to cut across a gap in the traffic, and then ran west again, entering the Fairgrounds, where folks where just getting out from the afternoon performance of the Shrine Circus. From there it was an easy run home. My ITB was starting to feel a tinsy strain, so I upped the pace again for the final mile or so, back down into the 9:30-9:45 range. At the end I felt pretty strong, like I could've gone another couple of miles, and was just short of my intended ten-mile distance. My missed turn on Victoria had cut off more than a half mile from my route. I could've run around the block to get me up to an even 10 miles, but who cares? I'll get it next Saturday. I walked the last half block home, enjoying the moment, looking forward to a nice glass of wine after a blustery, wet outing.

The run was a great confidence booster. Except for my brief stop to check for glass in my heel, I was able to run the whole thing continuously without any trouble from my MCL or ITB. Plus I was able to run at least half of it under 10mm pace, finishing with a 10:01 mm pace overall. So I feel like I should be in good stead for the half marathon in August. Just gotta increase my weekly long run by one mile each month: April = 10 mi; May = 11 mi; June = 12 mi; July = 13 mi. I may also follow through on my threat to run the Get in Gear 10K down by the river at the end of this month, now that I know I can run six miles continuously at a decent (for me) pace. I think that's still three weeks away.

Nonetheless, about an hour after I had been home, just sitting down to dinner after playing outside with the kids with my Moc3s on, my soles began screaming at me. It was painful to walk. I noticed two small red spots on my right foot, one on the bottom of my index toe and one on the ball of my foot. I guess I beat my feet up with the rain and the debris more than I had realized, unaware because my feet were mildly numb the whole run. Today they're still pretty painful, but should be OK in time for Tuesday's run, after a full 72 hours of rest.

So, overall, a good week of running. I got in four runs, including a short 8mm-paced run, a nice 9mm tempo run, and a satisfying 10mm LSD run. Total was 22.4 miles / 35 km on the week.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts