Anyone used skin glue on a callous?

kozz

Barefooters
Jan 6, 2011
I mentioned elsewhere recently how speedwork can tear off big chunks of skin, it must have jinxed me cause the track has bit me again.

Normally I would just cut the square-inch flap off and let the new skin toughen up, but I'm gonna race in a few days, and should do at least one workout before then too.

So I'm gonna see if there's any adhesives that can hold it together through a few more laps on high-friction polyurethane.

If that fails, maybe there's something I can put over the uncalloused skin.

It probably won't work. Nothing ever has in the past.

I've never used it on my feet, but I've used all kinds of skin adhesive (including medical grade) on my hands for cracking. I don't think I've used anything that would hold up to running. The medical grade stuff is pretty tough, but gets really hard - I don't think I'd want it on the bottom of my foot. Good luck!

I don't imagine the OTC stuff is medical grade, because it has proven itself painful but useless.

I'd have to order the medical stuff online probably

Someone else suggested duct tape. Real duct tape just might work

Reactions: happysongbird
A friend once told me she buys Dermabond for her horses from horse/pet supply websites, and it's the same thing as human grade. I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was exactly the same.

are you wrapping your whole foot or just placing a patch on your sole?

It seems like if you were to wrap your foot with athletic tape and then cover the athletic tape with duct tape or something of the sort you could then even put a layer of your liquid of choice for another layer of protection (maybe the dermabond Agnesd spoke of)....just a thought...

Or you could default to min foot covering for the race....thats why it exists in my opinion (though I hate using any type of footware so I can understand any resistance).

Reactions: happysongbird
Or you could default to min foot covering for the race....thats why it exists in my opinion (though I hate using any type of footware so I can understand any resistance).

Or you could quit doing speed work on the track. Unless your race is going to be on a running track.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Or you could quit doing speed work on the track. Unless your race is going to be on a running track.
See Dama....there you go being all logical, proactive, and preventative....:eek:

...I think Kozz is looking more for a remedial "oh-crap, why-did-I-do-a-speed-workout-on-a-rubber-track-a-few-days-before-my-race" kind of solution.....:rolleyes: (at least I would hope that would be the thought process, lol)

While you adivce is sound (as usual) it is not going to re-attach that flap of skin in time for the race :p

See Dama....there you go being all logical, proactive, and preventative....:eek: and your problem is?

...I think Kozz is looking more for a remedial "oh-crap, why-did-I-do-a-speed-workout-on-a-rubber-track-a-few-days-before-my-race" kind of solution.....:rolleyes: (at least I would hope that would be the thought process, lol)
Then I don't have an answer

While you adivce is sound (as usual) it is not going to re-attach that flap of skin in time for the race :p
tough! :p

Hey Kozz, a former member and I ran a marathon and he had one of his toes wrapped in K tape because of something similar to your issue.
The tape stayed put from start to fininsh and beyond. Maybe you should give that tape a try.

Reactions: Zetti
I've used regular old superglue for years. My foot care kit I carry in races consists of a safety pin, two alcohol wipes, and a tube of super glue. I've never had an injury those three things couldn't fix. On long, unsupported runs, I may include about a meter of duct tape.
the superglue doesn't irritate your skin?
I always wondered about that...

I may include about a meter of duct tape.
A meter? See, I always assumed you lived in the U.S. but since you're embracing the systems if our former tyrants, I have to assume you've moved to an unsympathetic country, like Canada. And to associate an epic American product such as duct tape with the metric system is just plain wrong. Round these parts it's a yard.

[Ramzev slowly walks away, shakin his head, thinking about his next 5 kilometer and 10 kilometer races...]

Or unless it's middle distance and I need to run 200's and 400's.

It didn't really matter what surface, it was mortified and was gonna peel eventually. Ain't the first time, won't be the last. Some like to run far, I like to run fast.

I can't imagine Kinesio tape holding up repeatedly striking the ground. In any case I cut the peeled skin off and the newer skin is healing. The rest of the callous will peel off too, that's life.

Not as irritating as the gaping wound. :)

I vaguely remember reading that Superglue was originally designed to bond skin during the Vietnam war. I got the idea from VonHof's book "Fixing Your Feet." It has saved several races.

Dermabond is octyl cyanoacrylate. Super glue is ethyl cyanoacrylate and isn't used medically, that's why I didn't use it. Might try it next time though.

A meter? See, I always assumed you lived in the U.S. but since you're embracing the systems if our former tyrants, I have to assume you've moved to an unsympathetic country, like Canada. And to associate an epic American product such as duct tape with the metric system is just plain wrong. Round these parts it's a yard.

[Ramzev slowly walks away, shakin his head, thinking about his next 5 kilometer and 10 kilometer races...]

Ram, I resemble that attack on my nationality ;) and I am about as sympathetic as any other beer drinking Canadian that stills uses the good ole imperial system. 80.5 km instead of 50 miles and 160.9 km instead of 100 miles just does not sound right.

For the record Super Glue works great on long runs for cuts and other foot injuries, I have used it a couple of times and I had awesome results.

I was just trying to be a hipster. ;)

Reactions: barefoot ramzev

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7