Zombie apocalypse while barefoot

barefoot kean

Barefooters
Jun 3, 2010
Anchorage
There has been a zombie apocalypse this week at school (http://www.hvzsource.com/stlouis/) and I have since learned that there is indeed a time for shoes. When running for your life shooting at zombies it is important to be able to ignore rough terrain and spring full speed ahead through anything.

On the other side of the coin as a new zombie I have lost out on 2 delicious brains because the terrain didnt allow for maximum sprinting.

The moral of the story, in the likely event of a zombie apocalypse, have a pair of shoes handy.

what? nooooooooooo! i was

what? nooooooooooo! i was going to be a bf zombie killer for a race sunday morning. not changing my mind because the cotume would call for cowboy boots. no way i'm running in those for 10k.

I would think it might be

I would think it might be even better to just be conditioned to run barefoot in case of the zombie apocolypse. It is doubtful that you will know the moment it happens. So you might be swimming, in bed, whatever, and you should be prepared to RUN! Plus is you go the other way and always keep your shoes on, and run out of socks after the apocolypse, while you are trying to survive, you will likely get trench foot or some other ailment. The only need for shoes is if you are able to get to some extreme cold climate, where zombies are known to not be as much because they hate the cold.

Excelent topic! In the event

Excelent topic! In the event of a Zombie Apocalypse I think some minimal shoes would be most ideal, and heres why...

The zombie infection is due to the spread of a pathegon through bodily fluids, be it blood, spit, mucus, ect... Over time zombie bodily fluids will cover lots of different surfaces, along with other sharp non BF friendly objects. So the risk of puncturing your skin and exposing yourself to these fluids is increased considerably during a Zombie Apocalypse! So covering the plantar skin would be a must in my opinion.

On the other hand, we couldnt be expected to wear the conventional big clunky marshmallow shoes of today. I mean, what good would they do if you cant run from a zombie due to PF, shin splints, runners knee, tendonitis or a number of other debilitating injuries caused by such shoes.

Luckily we live in the age of the minimalist movement where minimalist shoes are becoming more and more common place. Another plus is that since it is the end of the world, nobody will mind if you dont pay the outrageous sticker price for a pair of good minimalist shoes. In fact you could probablly pick a pair up for free if you timed it right. I would reccomend something that would hold up in extreme conditions, and like Dave mentioned above, something that will keep your feet warm in colder weather since Zombies dont funtion properly in cold enviroments due to the inability to keep their muscles warm. Of course if they made it that far, they would just freeze and be in a suspended state of life untill the planets warming paterns shift and they thaw out and then everyone that set up a new civilization in the polar regions thousands of years ago would be up shat creek because they would be in the epicenter of yet another Zombie Apocalypse.... The cycle will just continue to repeat itself over and over and over again like it has thtoughout all of history...

Anyways, thats just my thoughts on it!

I don't know that just

I don't know that just contact with their fluids will make you a zombie. I would think you would have an open wound. This seems a lot like the people who think you can get HIV from a toilet seat. Come on, Chaser! I would think just because a zombie slobbers on you, if you somehow kill him before the bite, you would survive. I also think they idea that zombies will have their fluids covering most of the ground is just unrealistic.

Dave, it takes the bodily

Dave, it takes the bodily fluid of a Zombie getting into your system to turn you into a flesh eating walking dead beast of damnation. Solenum is the virus that turns you into a Zombie if I remembet correctly, and its carried and transmitted via bodily fluids, much like Aids or HIV. A Zombies body slowly decomposes, so there will be lots of bodily fluids presentwhetever they may wander about. This is why I reccomend something to cover your soles. So incase you have an open wound on your foot you wont contract Solenum!

Ah, I see. You think the

Ah, I see. You think the zombie apocolypse will be a disease. There are a couple different theories. It could be a virus, which is man or nature made, or if you are a believer like me, you might believe in the possibility of Hell running out of room. Another possibility is a new genetic creation meant to be a weapon of war that gets out of control - either viral or an attempt to make super soldiers that go zombie. I'm just not sure which one it will be. And let's be serious, we don't know exactly which virus it will be YET! I really believe it could happen!

This is the most stupidist

This is the most stupidist (Is that a word?) conversation I have ever read! And I'm lovin' it! Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Whether man made or hell

Whether man made or hell running out of room a zombie apocalypse is kinda inevitable, there have been way to many movies and people making contingency plans for it not to. I think another key skill to work on is running really smoothly, that way you can get a good line up for your shotgun. Which leads me to my next statement, brains and exploded zombie guts will probably be littered everywhere humans are, so shoes are a definite must if around a populated area. Another necessary protection would probably also be a pair of goggles or sunglasses to protect your eyes from explody zombie fluids. The next question is about non-populated areas, do we want to wear shoes for protection or go barefoot to maintain our ability stay quite while on the move?

I think the point about

I think the point about wanting to stay quiet is right on. My Vibrams are pretty quiet but my Trail Gloves can make more noise with the wide toe box. I also will be more likely to carry a high caliber rifle than a shotgun, so I would probably still need to stop for a second to get a good, accurate shot in. I guess it might make buying a shot gun more worth while. If there is a world where zombies are not destined to take over, I'm not sure I want to live in it! Good thing I don't have to.

I guess another question is if you believe the zombie apocolypse will start in a certain area or if it will break out all at once. I can't imagine Austin, Texas being ground zero, but I guess it could happen. My has some land out near Lubbock. I think that would be where I would gun it to. Good sightlines, low population, wind to carry the smell of the undead to me as a warning, and most houses have tornado shelters underground that would be pretty secure, with lots of food inside.

they may smell you first and

they may smell you first and are pretty relentless. i've gone soap and poo free in preparation for the apocolypse. with winter here i should be able to get some training in TG's so i can cover up as needed. never thought about running in brains and such.

The Zombie outbreaks that

The Zombie outbreaks that have been documented throughout history all have the virus as the cause of being a Zombie.

Im anti gun when it comes to Zombie Apocalypse. Guns are loud and when it comes to defense against hundreds and thousands of Zombies, most guns become somewhat impractical as you would have to carry thousands of rounds. Plus the only way to kill a Zombie is to destroy the brain since the only thing keeping them going is the nervous system. So you have to have a guaranteed head shot every time.

My plan is to carry a silenced pistol with as many rounds as I can, a machette, something like a golf club for braining Zombies, and maybe a long staff with a sharpened end for thrusting purposes. Im going north to Alaska / canada area where its well below freezing and setting up camp in the middle of nowhere. If I can find a sutiable vechicle (tank) Ill take it, otherwise Im walking.

Hmm I was thinking another

Hmm I was thinking another problem with bf is the chance of hot brass hitting your foot and burning but chaser has a good point. I have several guns for hunting, but I doubt I have enough ammunition to last for too long. Plus all the weight... think I might have to grab on of my swords, probably the katana. I was thinking the claymore at first, but zombies are relatively week I dont think I would need the brute force of the claymore, and with swarms of em coming I'd opt for the speed and maneuverability of the katana. I'm also pretty good with a Klingon Bat'Leth /sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/Roving/wink.png

Katana for sure! It would be

Katana for sure! It would be ideal to learn how to run a forge and fold steel and create your own katanas. I would want one with a little longer range, say 6 feet? A claymore would be fun, but cumbersome and inefficient in a large crowd of Zombies, unlike the light and nimble Katana....

I also think people surviving the Zombie Apocalypse will be much healthier due to living off of a much more Paleo diet than before....

Its already

It’s already started

Maffetone Method = Eat lots of flesh and move real slow

Zombie = Eat lots of flesh and move real slow

Luckily i’m immune to Zombie attack, apparently they are attracted to brains, and my little grey cells left the hood years ago. BRAINS......Urrgghhhhhhhh

Sweet! So I guess Im a

Sweet! So I guess Im a zombie? At least I dont have to worry about surviving!

Chaserwilliams wrote:Sweet!

Chaserwilliams said:
Sweet! So I guess Im a zombie? At least I dont have to worry about surviving!

That all depends on what your heart rate monitor reads, i hear with zombies it can be a little misleading. Anything above zero and you should be fine 8)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7