Your opinions please...on Sockwa

Pigwig

Barefooters
Aug 17, 2013
I'm looking into getting a pair for the UK winter.
I'd like to know any good points or bad or in between!
What you love/hate about them, how they feel for both running and also walking on day to day basis.
I've read/watched YouTube and they sound good but most of these reviews are from people affiliated in some way. I'd like the "bare bones" feedback!
Thanks

Reactions: Bare Lee
Were you able to find any Sockwa reviews in the Gear & Footwear forum or the Product Reviews forum? Check there just in case.

I am moving this thread to the Gear & Footwear forum with a redirect that will expire in one day.

I've never seen any that offered even remotely enough room in the toe area. Several of us experienced minimalist runners even advised 'Mr.Sockwa' about that, back when he was prototyping his first minimalist-inspired product.

Yes, the earlier versions of Sockwas were too narrow. I had to send back the Amphibian model and I gave my son the G2. Mr. Sockwa was very accommodating and made the first exchange with no shipping charges, at that time the G3 was just coming out and he suggested I would like that model better and I received it at the same price of the Amphibian, even though the G3's were more expensive. Great customer service in my experience. I have owned the G3 for two years and really like them. Easy to slip on and a good winter back up in dry conditions. They are not waterproof and soak up moisture quickly. Also, the G3 is not breathable, so if you are in warm conditions or have sweaty feet, they are going to get uncomfortable fast. The biggest problem will be getting the correct size. The sizing is odd and get a full size bigger than your shoe size. The other downside is the price. Look for a special to come out. You can get on their e-mail list and wait for a promotion. I just got the X8. I can already tell that they will work better in warmer conditions. They seem to run slightly longer than the G3's, but may just need a break in period. Getting a little rub spot from one seam. Again, may just need some break in time. Happy with the ground feel and the traction. Certainly the most minimal shoe I have found.

Over at Google Images to search "sockwa x8", it's pinched toes on every photo that shows a toebox shape. I'll believe Sockwa has changed when I see it.

I don't know about pinched toes. The material is stretchy enough that it gives. Even if your foot is wide enough to hang over the sides of the sole, the sole is so thin that it is not much of a problem. Not noticeable running, but for casual wear they are slightly uncomfortable, mainly because they are stuffy, not because of fit. I have wide feet and have had to cut out a piece of upper on my NB shoes. It's hard to say, everyone's foot shape is different. I not going to push any products or brands. Try them out, if you don't like them send them back or find someone to hand them down to.

Stretchy but also elastic. Thus it puts influence on the toes, which is antithetic to the premise of minimalist shoes.

Good point. One must determine the amount of toe influence that is tolerable. Doesn't every shoe or foot covering put influence on the toes?

Specifically about Sockwas (we could go on and on about other shoes), I can't think of a design that would allow for more toe box. There is no structure, therefore there must be something that hold it to the foot. If they made the shoe (foot covering) wider in the forefoot, then they would have to make it tighter around the midfoot and ankle causing a whole new set of problems. Excess material up front would also cause more running difficulties, example: folding under the toes. So I think they split the difference. I'm sure the company took average foot measurements before sending them to production. It would be too expensive to cater to a few barefoot runners with freakishly wide feet that seldom need footwear and when they do they chose a more substantial shoe.

Once again, the forefoot tightness is not noticeable while running and I will still give them a decent recommendation.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7