Woof!

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
That's kinda the sound I made this morning as I landed.

I'd been cruising along a stone and gravel trail 4 miles into a six mile run when I suddenly found myself on the ground. Fortunately my arms crossed over my chest and I only ended up with cuts and abrasions on my palms, belly, thighs, and knees. It was my first such fall in more than a year's running and was amazing in its abruptness. After a monent to collect my senses I was able to get up and carry on, and only then realized how sore my right toe was. I must have stubbed it, but good.

I looked a mess as I finished with sweat, blood and mud washing down my legs and staining my white tech shirt. Maybe I should be glad I had on my VFF's for the first time since early May, but I wouldn't have been on that particular trail (running with Fastracks, a local group) without them.

It just goes to show you how smart these guys are who write about how to run BF. The first thing they say is to maintain an upright posture.

I feel your pain. I once ran

I feel your pain. I once ran across a parking lot and tripped as I tried to leap over a couple of parking curbs. Well, to my credit I made the leap over one, it was the second that got me. I came out worse than you. Broken tooth and 16 stitches to put my lip back together after they dug the tooth pieces out. Nothing like thinking you have cleared an obstacle, only to be shown how wrong you were.

I've had my KSO's catch on stuff I was walking over. Not lately as they are my primary shoe, but at the beginning every now and then it would happen. Would give some advice here, but I am positive you're already going to be doing it, so.... hope you heal well and good luck next run through that area.

John T.

That ground comes up really

That ground comes up really fast with your foot acting as a fulcrum. Kind of a floaty rushing sensation as I remember it. :)

But enough about those fun times. How badly did you hurt yourself? Just some scrapes?

John T.

Yeah.  Nothing much but

Yeah. Nothing much but gravel in my palms and excellent sympathy inducing scrapes over a lot of my front side. This morning my arms felt like mucho tmts in the triceps, which I figure did the brunt of the quick braking (not breaking!.)

Thanks!

Glad you're ok! I love it

Glad you're ok! I love it when stuff like that happens to me...keeps me humble!

A sneaky sprinkler head that didn't retract from a lawn in the neighborhood reached up and tripped me a month or so ago! Black sprinkler head, running at night...that'll learn me not to cut the corners! Lucky for me, it was early in my run and my form was good and my legs were fresh, so no fall...just some less than eloquent dance moves and some "WTF" looking back for the benefit of anyone who may have seen! haha! My wife got a good laugh!

-Jonny

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon