Winter Barefoot and Footwear Realizations

BrunoRuns

Barefooters
Jun 5, 2010
Greetings all. First I want to thank TJ for all her effort getting BRS up and running again. It's good to be back!

I wanted to share some of my thoughts on this years winter running. It's been an interesting time here in DC with the cold, snow, ice, melting, debris, and winter road treatment. Last year in Jan I was just beginning to run BF so the elements didn't affect me as much with my low introductory mileage just on sidewalks. This year though I am training for a hat trick of spring marathons and it has been a challenge for me feet but I have made a lot of progress in some ways.

As we all know, everyone is different in their transition to MR or BF. In the last few weeks, I have really begun to fully understand my body and the way it handles footwear. Let me break it down for you. Since I started last year I have run almost exclusively BF with 500+ miles and a marathon under my belt. I only did about 25+ miles in VFF KSO's sprinkled throughout the year here and there. When the winter set in i have been forced to run many of my miles in VFF's and ZEM's due to conditions.

Since Jan 1, I've run 138 miles, and only 32 of them have been BF. Sticking to my training plan, I am running as many miles as I can get in BF but logging many miles with Minimal Footwear. The results:

VFF KSO: I've done about 80 of the 100 MR miles in VFF's and found it a relief at first to not have to pay attention to the little pebbles and debris like I have for the last year BF. As my miles got higher, I began to notice slight twinges in some familiar injury areas. I also felt stiff in my form and I would work constantly at correcting it to make it more enjoyable. After this last 13 mile run, my ITBS was saying hello again to me, something I haven't felt in over a year. I also had minor pain my other knee and a bit of foot pain. They did however protect me from the cold most of the time. The wetness was just bearable, and when it got down to 20 I could get my body to flow blood to my toes after about 2 miles. Still not the perfect shoe.

ZEM's: I just started using these and found out quickly that any wetness on the ground will soak these and my feet could never recover from the cold once this occurred. I stayed away from them for a long time until the other day when it was too cold to run BF, but dry enough to give them another go. I found that I had a much better gait and form with the ZEM's than with the VFF's. I can pretty much say that I prefer them when the conditions are right (too cold for BF, not wet)

BF: The weather has shifted a bit. 40's and sunny. Since my little ITB injury and my other tweaks, I've been out for 10+ BF miles this week and it has been heaven. I remember now why I turned to BF and stayed that way for over a year. It was like be reunited with an old flame. Zero pain anywhere. Easy form, easy breathing and some of my fastest mile paces ever BF.

As much as the VFF's and ZEM's are great tools for me, personally I've found that my true form is without shoes. Maybe with more practice I could evolve my stride and form with these MR shoes but to feel how easy the BF form is a huge relief for me. I was never doubting, but with winter conditions, it can be very frustrating, almost as bad as a sidelining injury.

I have a running friend who knows I run BF but actually didn't know I run without shoes. He thought all I did was use VFF's and was trying to sell me on some Brooks shoes that weighed "less." I know my body, and I know what "less" is...no shoes. So with winter comes grey days, bad weather, mild frustration, and minimal shoes. April can't come soon enough.

I don't log nearly as many

I don't log nearly as many miles as you do but my experience has been similar:

Scuba boots: good for wet, cold, slippery conditions but starts causing minor TOFP

Huaraches: good on dry ground, nice to not have to scan the ground for every pebble, provides relief for the soles on longer bf runs

Barefoot: best overall confort

I recently took the boots off for the last mile of my run and it was pure bliss to feel the ground again :)

Can't wait!  I'Ve been in VFF

Can't wait! I'Ve been in VFF Bikilas since the snow and ice started, it seems like last September. I am longing for warmer dryer weather. Failing that, I'll gladly take dry park paths as a consolation prize.

I am really impressed by your milage. Between the weather, the ground conditions, family stuff and the shorter days, I'm struggling to get out 3 times a week.

I hear you Bruno.  After

I hear you Bruno. After being cooped up in VFFs for most of the winter, I took my shoes off for the last 1.5 miles of a half marathon yesterday. It was like rediscovering how great barefoot feels all over again! Good to hear you're doing well with winter training.

Bruno, I am with ya!   Nice

Bruno, I am with ya! Nice mileage as well.

As of now I am officially back to barefoot running. Given the fact this was a brutal winter, it's nice that feb. has been mild and the weekly snowstorms has ceased. The only thing that will stop me from putting on my dread Five Fingers is another snow storm and freezing temps.

My relationship is over with Five Fingers, they suck for running, at least i think so. They have been my go to winter shoe for the last two years, but I am done with them. I think they hinder and weaken the muscles when transitioning back to barefoot running, but any footwear will do that.

My future game plan for winter (2012) will be the trail merrells for snow, and just run barefoot through winter. I am training for my second spring marathon, and winter training can be tough. I am officially not going to do another spring marathon anymore so I will have that oppurtunity to keep my mileage low. So my goal will be to run barefoot all winter, even it calls for a mile or two in snow it will be barefoot. Come to that road when I cross it.

For the crazy winter this year I have only been a slave to footwear since December 5th, so 2 1/2 months is not bad considering.

I'm a happy slave to footwear

I'm a happy slave to footwear this winter. I just finished 5 miles, 4 of them gloriously snow free and of that, 3.5 miles less than 2 inches deep in runoff. For the snowy slushy deeply wet portion, I thank the goddess for footwear. As you say, we'll see about next winter.

DNEChris, who runs monster miles all year long, and whose opinion I respect told me that he likes his Vibrams for the rotten time and doesn't mind the 2 weeks of transition back to real BF running in the spring. I liked his matter of fact attitude and have found that I don't mind VFF running a bit.

JosephTree wrote:DNEChris,

JosephTree said:
DNEChris, who runs monster miles all year long, and whose opinion I respect told me that he likes his Vibrams for the rotten time and doesn't mind the 2 weeks of transition back to real BF running in the spring. I liked his matter of fact attitude and have found that I don't mind VFF running a bit.

Aw shucks! :shy: Thanks Joseph.

Transition has begun - no big deal.

I can't wait to go run BF

I can't wait to go run BF outdoors.. but its too wet with melting snow and slush still today.. maybe later this weekend though as its almost 50 out today! there was almost 20" deep snow that has to melt though..

Thanks for the writeup

Thanks for the writeup Bruno. I've been very interested in this myself. Doesn't sound like it got quite as cold here in Portland, Oregon.

As it got colder I found I just couldn't stand putting on the shoes (my current minimal shoes are ZEMs). They made my footfalls too heavy and I just didn't like running anymore. So I just went BF as much as possible. After learning some tricks (like making sure to overdress my core) I went as low as 31F, but really the worst conditions were about 40F and muddy. I wore the ZEMs one day when it snowed, and was glad for it. They did indeed get wet but my feet were warm nonetheless.

I think for next winter I might switch back to soft neoprene water shoes. Definitely warm and pretty minimal, but just not the same pleasure as BF.

Ditto with the VFFs. I have

Ditto with the VFFs. I have been using them this winter, but I too start to feel some little aches and pains coming back. I think I just strike a little bit harder in them than BF. Not as bad as shoes. I think using VFFs on trails is a better mix, though I just tried on some Merrils. I think I'd go with them for my minimalist needs, which, now that warmer weather is coming, are less. I think I'm going to hold off on buying the Merrils and slog through the rest of the cold with my VFFs and moccasins and hauraches (still the thinnest!). And if I'm still in Michigan next winter I'll go with Merrills. Or, who knows, maybe by then some other minimalist shoe will be available.

I'm also really really not a fan of the VFF toe sockets. Their only value is freaking out people.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7