Will I be excommunicated for this?

ThomDavid

Barefooters
Sep 10, 2012
Oceanside California USA
Time to fess up.

I'm training for a half-marathon at the end of the month, the first I will attempt barefoot. So, I've been slowly upping the distance of my long runs, along with cross-training. Reached 12 miles, but paid a price in both debilitating blood blisters under the ball of my left foot and a very sharp stone which became deeply embedded in my heel. Needless to say, my training got a bit knocked about. But even worse, I'm really beginning to wonder if barefoot running is the way to go for me, given my own physical conditions (Morton's toe, a probably arthritic middle toe, etc). Returning to shod running is out of the question. So, I've been experimenting with some minimalist shoes. The VFF Bikilas are only marginally acceptable and they'll do for the gym. But today I really wanted to run trails, which I haven't done for some time, so I got a pair of Vivo Breathos and took them for a spin. Pretty much everything felt the way it should, as far as cadence, form, etc. And the run was really enjoyable.

My thinking is that I will start the race barefoot, but if I begin to develop problems, I need a backup plan. So, I'm planning to carry some sort of minimalist shoe with me that I can put on if things begin to go south.

Does this dis-qualify me as a barefoot runner? If the point of bf running is to avoid injuries (among other things), but I end up injured (albeit different types of injuries than when shod), isn't that a bit self-defeating? I'm trying to extend my running life, not prove a point, and I think that barefoot running can do that for me. At the same time, I don't want to be laid up for several weeks at a time nursing different injuries. I'd love a bit of perspective from you veterans. I think maybe I'm just a bit spooked and need a reality slap or two.

My thinking is that I will start the race barefoot, but if I begin to develop problems, I need a backup plan. So, I'm planning to carry some sort of minimalist shoe with me that I can put on if things begin to go south.

Does this dis-qualify me as a barefoot runner?

Yes, it disqualifies you as a barefoot runner, for as long as you have them on. When they are on, you are a minimalist runner. I say this as a language purist.

However, what is important is that you are listening to your body and doing what works for it. Either way, that makes you a smart runner!

I've had a hard go at this type of thing to Thom. I have since learned to let go of the labels and I do what works for me. I like barefoot, but only in the right conditions and surfaces. For all other times, minshoes work for me. Since I stopped being so adamant that "I'm a barefoot runner and should be barefoot all the time" I seem to have been able to keep running for the most part. You have to figure out what works for you as everyone is different. I must say though, trying to find a minshoe that works for what I want was a difficult chore.

Nothing wrong with a 'Plan B'! Hell, I think I got to 'Plan X' and was rapidly running out of alphabet before I found my mojo.
The injuries you describe are fairly common, I had a bit of gravel stuck in my foot the other week and I was afraid that if I dug any deeper to get it out I was going to strike oil!

Reactions: ThomDavid
Location, location. Drive the course. Hop out and try jogging on questionable areas. Carry life boats if you want.
I carried Huraches on my first 15 k, but threw them away after two miles. I wear minimals (Hattories) during difficult runs and go BF whenever I can. Have fun, that's most important.

In general, my running life is far more interesting and flexible in huaraches (2mm sole and some string, but still shoes). I'm a minimal runner who runs barefoot when the conditions are nice for it.
I used to run in "stability" shoes ----$150 ones, with orthotics, the works. I feared the "pounding" of the pavement. Now I love most surfaces, as long as I can protect my soles if need be for comfort.
So I couldn't excommunicate you, could I?
Would you rather be a purist, or a happy runner who gets to his running goals? Whatever gets you there.....

if you want to extend your life as a runner then forget about the race. don't worry about any labels. calling yourself human is good enough.

Reactions: PB Junkie
All I have to say to this is that my number one goal for exercising is, AVOID PAIN AND INJURY. Anytime I find myself questioning things, such as you are, I ask myself, "What do I need to do -or not do- to meet this goal?" I've been at it over a year and a half and this has served me well.

Okay then, slap, slap! Seriously. Your plan to start out barefoot and carry footwear for when you need it is a great plan. We've all done that, and there's nothing wrong with it. But I would say don't throw in the towel just yet on barefoot running. Any veteran will tell you they've had at least one bad streak with running barefoot that made them question their sanity. Some of us learned to work through it, and others turned to minshoes. There's nothing wrong with either, if in the end that's the true way you want to go. My thing is it's most important to run healthy than to not run at all, and if minshoes does that for you then so be it!

Just depends on your goals/priorities. Are you a barefooter first, runner second? Or are you a runner first, barefooter second? If sensuous tactile stimulation is the most important thing, go barefoot and forget about speed and distance for the time being. If speed and distance are the most important thing, go shod and forget about barefooting it for the time being. Eventually your soles will adapt so it's just a short-term problem in any case.

I personally dislike footwear of any kind, but an ideology of purism has nothing to do with it. It's just uncomfortable for me, I get hot foot, and I miss the pleasurable sensation of skin-to-ground contact. I've been wearing footwear on my runs for the last two weeks due to frostnip, but it's definitely reduced the pleasure of running for me. I still get the mail and prep the car for my wife barefoot though. Got to say hello to the surface elements--the snow and cold--just a little bit, even if I don't have the words for a proper conversation.

But yeah, to concur with everyone else, don't worry about purism. Purism is for people who don't want to think for themselves, or don't know where to look for the sacred. Do what you like, and like what you do.

If you reached 12 miles barefoot, you got this! The blisters just might be losing form from fatigue, or if 12 miles was your longest run to date, it's just the soles and skin reaching new territory for the first time. Hitting stones is part of barefoot running, just no way getting around that. I say run it barefoot, you will surprise yourself. Plus the adrenaline you get from other runners and the race atmosphere will give you an extra boost. Good luck!

If you reached 12 miles barefoot, you got this! The blisters just might be losing form from fatigue, or if 12 miles was your longest run to date, it's just the soles and skin reaching new territory for the first time. Hitting stones is part of barefoot running, just no way getting around that. I say run it barefoot, you will surprise yourself. Plus the adrenaline you get from other runners and the race atmosphere will give you an extra boost. Good luck!

Ya, I have DNF'd from fatigue during races before. Just didn't want to "go there" and risk injury -even minor.

Reactions: Bare Lee
if you want to extend your life as a runner then forget about the race. don't worry about any labels. calling yourself human is good enough.

Ya, what was that cool thing you said a long time ago, "Train for life, not to race."???

Reactions: Bare Lee
The first 12 miles are the hardest TD (I never know, is it Thom or is it David?!); whilst you're the only one that can validate your choices, given you were inspired to start this journey then I would encourage you not to give up after coming so far. I remember a month or so when transitioning where the little sesamoid bones in one of my feet wouldnt seem to settle down, the more they inflammed the more they seem to find stones to land on! It was tempting to conclude I didnt have the right shaped foot etc for barefooting, but I instead iced, eased back on my kms (and used shoes as a temporary relief) and then increased kms again as things improved. In hindsight I am very pleased I did this.

Blood blisters and a stone stuck in the foot don't suggest to me you are incapable of going further, neither does Mortons toe, but you will only know for sure if you choose to push yourself to the 13th mile. I personally don't consider these the sort injuries of that risk long term running health, rather they help preserve it by keeping you within you safer limits. I don't know how long you have been building up for, but as you get to these bigger kms the feedback you are getting is brought into sharper focus (your gait is amplified by the distance and repetition), so these discomforts represent a powerful opportunity to help refine your running form further.

It's OK if you decide BF is not for you, I'm by no way a purist but if you were a close relative asking me for advice I would encourage you to follow through on your journey, be bold and leave the shoes behind on your half marathon (they'll be calling your name the whole way from your back pocket!). Check out the course in advance if possible and make sure the surface is reasonable to attempt BF on, dont try to go too fast and just make your goal to finish barefoot (you can set time goals for subsequent half marathons). Worst case scenario you have to walk in the last bit and live to fight another day, best case is a big sense of achievement and positivity which you can draw from to get you through the next blister, stone in the foot etc.

Nice. Do I have permission to steal that quote?
As a fellow academic, I expect proper citation practice. Or the forum equivalent: a 'like.'
Ya, what was that cool thing you said a long time ago, "Train for life, not to race."???
Yah, last summer when our neighbor was introducing me to his visiting sister and brother-in-law, both triathletes, he mentioned that I was a barefoot runner. They asked me what I was training for. I replied, "longevity."

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts