When can I run everyday??

SaraLord

Administrator
Jun 23, 2010
I've followed Jason's five step plan and am up to 3.5 miles every other day. Now I'm afraid to take of the training wheels and go to a typical training schedule, which has a few back to back running days.

Any input on this? I don't have any real aches or pains, maybe a little twinge in my PF but roll it out with a golf ball.

I think you're ready to move

I think you're ready to move forward. If the bottoms of your feet feel sensitive the day after a run, take that day off. We should all take at least a day or two off a week though.

Oh, also, with the PF--my

Oh, also, with the PF--my physical therapist says to roll out the soleus (lower calf) for that, since that tends to be what pulls on the plantar fascia.

I'd say add ONE back-to-back

I'd say add ONE back-to-back per week. So if you're running M-W-Sa now, add a Friday run. And keep to the "no increases more than 10% per week" rule, which will mean shortening at least one of your runs temporarily. Another way to add an extra day is to do either a prep run the day before your "long run" (if you have a "long run" day) or a recovery run the day after your "long run." Either or those would be short. I think that a mile or so the day after a long run helps me to loosen up faster.

And of course, the normal stuff--just see how your body adjusts to it and go from there! And don't try to increase speed drastically as you're increasing your # of training days.

By the way, with the 10% increase/week thing...that's a general guideline. With my half marathon training I usually did less than 10% increase per week. The big exceptions were when I had a "break" week with less mileage (to give my legs a rest)--in that case, my next week would be up to a 10% increase over my previous HIGHER mileage week. Also, last week I inadvertently had a big mileage increase. It was about 10% higher than my previous highest, but my previous highest had been 6 weeks before. It was a BIG increase over the previous several weeks...like 2 to 3 times as much. (I really decreased my training for awhile after my half marathon on 12/5.) Oops! But it was just one time, and this week I'm taking it easier. My body let me do that big of a jump ONE time.... I just definitely won't make a habit of doing it!

Thanks Beth for taking the

Thanks Beth for taking the time. I've been pretty good about the 10%/week rule and will make sure to keep that in mind, particularly if I add a day/week. What's really going on is that I don't feel like a real runner, going out every other day as if still in "pre-running" training. TMTS of the tiny rat brain. . .

Now wait a minute!  Tell that

Now wait a minute! Tell that rat brain of yours to back off! You're a real runner even if you slack off to a day a week. There are a lot of variables to this running business, and days per week is just one. THere's nothing wrong at all with giving your body a regular rest. Maybe you could just increase milage instead. It's all good unless it's too much of a good thing. (Is there a ecronym for that? tmoagt)

When I started out I could

When I started out I could run more frequently but less mileage. It was easier for me to run 6 miles a day split up in two parts than it was for me to run 5 miles straight.

SaraLord wrote:What's really

SaraLord said:
What's really going on is that I don't feel like a real runner, going out every other day as if still in "pre-running" training.

Oh wow, that's very interesting! I've kept a 3-run-a-week schedule for most of my 14 1/2-month "running career" and I definitely consider myself a "real runner." But I think we all have our preconceived notions of what "real running" is. It's kind of nice to let go of those. I considered those who run/walk not to be "real runners" until I recently realized that I feel better AND have a faster pace when I use a run/walk strategy. Who'd a thunk it? :) So even though run/walking still sorta feels like cheating to me, I know it's not--it's making me a better runner, and definitely still a REAL runner, even though I only go out 3 days a week!

Sara, I DEFINITLEY know how

Sara, I DEFINITLEY know how you're feeling! This three-day-a-week schedule has been killing me! Then last weekend it finally warmed up enough for me to ditch the VFFs and I ended up running Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Only 6k, 2k, and 3k, but still, stupid move since the 6k was my longest BF run to-date. Now, Friday morning, I still haven't been running again because I don't want the TOF-soreness to develop into TOFP. Hopefully I'll be back out again by Sunday. Just please don't be stupid like me!! I know your mileage is higher than mine, but I think Beth is on to something with making one of your back-to-back runs either a prep run or a recovery run for your long run. I'd actually probably let it be a recovery run when starting out, just so the long run isn't what comes up short if you feel like you really do need an extra day of rest or if you need to cut the second run short.

This business about not being a "real" runner, though... I'm SURE you've also heard the hilarious (*groan*) comments from those who "only run when being chased" and the like. If you aren't one of those genuises, even if you only manage to make it out every once in a while, I'd say you're a real runner. :)

Back in the day when I was a

Back in the day when I was a young runner, I thought I had to go out every day and maybe take one day off a week.

25 years later, starting out as an older runner coming back after many years of inactivity, overweight, and barefoot, I have found 3x a week to be very liberating. I LOVE the recovery time. It makes every run feel fresh and new. I almost have begun to think that it's the way it's meant to be and that we're supposed to be doing other physical things on the in-between days. I have begun to see every other thing I do as feeding in to my running (e.g. conditioning exercises during Kung Fu building stronger core and stronger thighs, etc...) and my running feeding the other things I do, so that there is not really any off time. The way I move and use my body when I'm not running is part of my running self.

Maybe I was kidding myself, but I have always considered myself a real runner, even during 25 years of not running. I just felt like I was a de-activated runner. A non-practicing runner, or something like that. It is really weird to think of one's self as a runner when one doesn't run at all isn't it? But maybe that's why I'm out there again as I near my 50th birthday.

SaraLord wrote:What's really

SaraLord said:
What's really going on is that I don't feel like a real runner, going out every other day as if still in "pre-running" training. TMTS of the tiny rat brain. . .

Yeah I hear you, unless you are running 10 workouts a week like the pro's you are not a "real runner".

BF Fresca, That's the

BF Fresca, That's the refreshing good sense I like. Make a positive virtue of the recovery days! I'm entirely with you except in age wherein I have you beat. (I'm 54.)

Abide: Here's the response you seek: THPPPPPTTTttt!!! :wink:

I do consider myself a real

I do consider myself a real runner even though I run three times a week.

Last year, I did try to ran back to back for two weeks and I didn't like it because I didn't give my feet enough time to recuperate, even though I was running more days I certainly was running less miles than when I was running only three days a week.

So I am back to just three days a week and since my feet get a day off between runs I can ran longer, much longer.

So be nice to yourself. YOU ARE A REAL RUNNER, by golly.

I think SaraLord can answer

I think SaraLord can answer the question a lot better then we can. Go out, and run more to find out. How does your feet respond ? I think if you do too much you will find out quickly. I don't think you should increase distance/runs per week both at the same time. If you add more days per week modify distance. If you want to add distance reduce days per week. Again your body will tell you. So hop off the computer, and go find out.......

Frankly putting a label on yourself of wanting to be a "real runner" is non sense in my mind. Though if you enjoy labels so be it. Just don't let these preconceived labels set you up for injury.

I know all of you are right. 

I know all of you are right. When I was in the Marine Corps, running was an obligation and certainly not fun. Ten years ago when I took it back up and loved every minute, I was up to six miles every other day and it was a rush. Then runner's knee took it's toll and I spent literally the following years trying to fix it to no avail.

It's probably just pent up non running on my part. I'm 45 now and wish I'd found BF running sooner. I am slowly learning that it's the journey, not the destination.

Whatever we do and we enjoy

Whatever we do and we enjoy it, are comfortable and doing good for ourselves makes it great!

I have to keep telling my 67 yr old hubby this because he thinks because he "only does a mile and a half walk/run" he isn't a runner. I beg to differ. He is a runner! He's out there doing it!

At 61 - I am a runner! Sometimes I run 3 times a week sometimes less and sometimes more but I am a runner -

And I plan to be a runner for a long time - even when you youngsters are 61 - so there!
tongue.png

Yes you got it.  Enjoy the

Yes you got it. Enjoy the moment of each run, and that journey. Anything could happen to us on a given day. You will never reach the destination. So why not just enjoy the moment ? Labels will likely only get you in trouble......

SaraLord wrote:I'm 45

SaraLord said:
I'm 45 now....

Wait, what? If you're 45, who's the 30 year old in your avatar?! :) :-O

Beth, did I tell you I love

Beth, did I tell you I love you?? Peanut, I want to be just like you when I grow up!!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon