What to reply?

Mikkel

Barefooters
Feb 2, 2012
Denmark
I think this has been discussed in another thread but can't find it.

What would you reply to the following comments when out running? It should not be long comments just something you can shout when you pass by:

-Hey you forgot your shoes.
-Dosn't it hurt?
-Where are your shoes?
-Why aren't you wearing shoes?
-Aren't you afraid of glass splinters?
-Don't you freeze?

I wouldn't shout anything (breath is precious when running, isn't it?), just give them a big happy smile with a thumb up and perhaps wink an eye. :);)
(That could be interpreted that you are secretly on to something which is pleasant and funny or that you have a special secret reason to run barefoot)

It varies from day to day. I'm a smart aleck, but most of the time i'm running and don't have time for a long response. Usually hobbit's smile and wave.
Sometimes "it's not as tough as it looks." a la nick, or "it feels great" or some such.
usually when people ask they don't actually want an answer---just a way of gawking.

It varies from day to day. I'm a smart aleck, but most of the time i'm running and don't have time for a long response. Usually hobbit's smile and wave.
Sometimes "it's not as tough as it looks." a la nick, or "it feels great" or some such.
usually when people ask they don't actually want an answer---just a way of gawking.
An old parachuting/skydiving slang term for them is "wuffos" for "wha' for do you do that for?"

-Hey you forgot your shoes. - Yes, a long time ago! Thank God!
-Doesn't it hurt? - Hell yes! And I love it!
-Where are your shoes? - In the trash, where they belong!
-Why aren't you wearing shoes? - Shoes suck!
-Aren't you afraid of glass splinters? - Aren't you afraid of athletes foot?!
-Don't you freeze? - Yes, don't you?

-You're barefoot! - Damn, you noticed. I was trying to hide that.

I'm so busy smiling and waving at people, they generally don't have time to offer overly used cliche's. When they ask things, which they basically don't have a chance to do until I've greeted them, they are sincere 95% of the time and I give them sincere answers. Maybe that partly comes from there not being too many people on the path. If the path was busy, it would be harder to greet, but I would still smile.

Reactions: NickW
I was in a race once that was started with a cannon and two pirates in a 2 seat moped lead the race. I was asked several times that morning about shoes, I shouted that the pirates stole them and I was trying to catch them. I guess they heard about it; when I finished, one of them was holding up a pair of shoes and the other pirate was pointing a pistol at them.

Now, I wouldn't recommend using this technic if there aren't any pirates. If you do you'll start to notice people crossing the street to avoid you and parents will shield their children from you.

When someone says, "I like your shoes!" being all facetious, I would say, "God gave you a pair too!"

Reactions: NickW
When someone says, "I like your shoes!" being all facetious, I would say, "God gave you a pair too!"

And if you had a pair, you'd run barefoot too!!

The only one I've had that completely threw me was something about being the type the SAS were looking for; it was cold, dark & miserable weather & at the time I'd just figured out I was early enough get back into my pajamas for a cup of hot chocolate - not so tough after all!
Never had any smart alec comments, a confused sounding "No" or an "I prefer it this way" cover most options.

Reactions: happysongbird
Answers are in bold

-Hey you forgot your shoes. Dammit! I knew something was different!
-Dosn't it hurt? Sometimes.
-Where are your shoes? They were stolen by kung-fu karate ninjas
-Why aren't you wearing shoes? [see ninja comment, above]
-Aren't you afraid of glass splinters? No.
-Don't you freeze? No, because I have your love to keep me warm (OK, I've never said that, but wouldn't it be fun to say?)

Yes, that is strange, but those were always my favorite. :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon