What are some questions new ultrarunners ask?

I'm interested in

I'm interested in ultra-running, and I have plenty of questions, here's a few off the top of my head...

- How to balance hydration?

- How to balance calories?

- How slow should I build up & how long does it take (I realize its different for everyone)?

- Setting reasonable goals for progressing?

- How does running long distances interact with my thyroid problems? (not a concern for most, but it is for me)

- How many of your miles really need to be on dirt trails vs road training?

I posted some on your

I posted some on your facebook, but also just asked one here that I'm hoping for an answer to in another thread and that is about diahrea...

Another couple are: how to know you are ready. and how to know who to listen to.

bubba hotep wrote:Can I run a

bubba hotep said:
Can I run a 100 on 3 months training and only 20 mpw?

Yes, I believe you can run a 100 yard dash with that training. I'm not sure what heart rate would be best fot that training however...

My concerns are more geared

My concerns are more geared towards race day prep. What do I need in my drop bag? Do I need a drop bag? Should I bring a handheld if aid stations are every 3-5 miles apart? if its cold, and you wear layers, are you stuck with them for a long time?

I think that aside from getting oneself physically prepared, maybe you should go over the process of actually running the race from start to finish, including the small details that most people doing think about. Like the proper way to interact with aid station people (should we refer to them as "aids", our would they take that the wrong way?

I think this is a great idea Jason!!! This will be on my to read list!

Chaserwilliams wrote:This

Chaserwilliams said:
This will be on my to read list!

Mine too.

After reading Born to Run, I didn't leave with an increased interest in barefoot running. I wanted to run an ultra! So I'm slowly building up my miles with that in mind. Halfs & marathons are merely stepping stones to ultras...

I want to know about pain and

I want to know about pain and different ways of coping. (and yes I read your blog post on masochism training using the"pleasure yourself method". I was impressed. If it wasn't so dang scientific I could almost mistake that post for one of my own ha!) Anyway, I don't prefer to use pain meds and want to know if/when it would ever be appropriate to do so.

Also, what is the crews role? What is their job description exactly? And what about running unsupported races? How does one do that?

And I want to know how to avoid diarrhea as well!

Last Place Jason wrote:All

Last Place Jason said:
All great stuff- thanks all!

As far as running a 100 on 20mpw- read my Western States race report. Then read my Grindstore race report. Both used the minimal training plan... both had completely opposite outcomes.
You were an accomplished ultra runner by the time you rolled at WS. I think that leads to a pretty good topic of looking at base training vs maintenance training and when to switch from one to the other. Also, racing as training. I would also be interested in what kind of weight training different people do. I've started working more lifting and total body exercise type work into my routine. I haven't gone all crossfit but have certainly adopted some of the concepts.

+1 on the race day details.

+1 on the race day details.

I'm not too worried about the jump from a marathon to a 50k, but there are a lot of details to worry about for a 50 miler and even more for a hunded miler.

How about a section on pacers or being a pacer?

Also, setting up a crew?

My plan for this year is to build my mileage base, have a few good marathons, do a 50k, pace for a few ultra's. Then hopefully in a year be ready for a 50 miler.

Look forward to the book, Jason.

Rick W.

I'd be curious to know how

I'd be curious to know how much I'd be allowed to sleep during a 12 hour ultra and still be able to call myself an ultramarathoner. I'm really only half kidding, what is the normal acceptable distance to get this title?

If I were to train as much as time permits me for a 12 hour but I need to nap a but in the middle am I a Nancy boy?

A couple of questions I or my

A couple of questions I or my running partner asked during an ultra last June:

1. Why so many hills?

2. Why so many downhills?

3. Was that a frog I stepped on?

4. You gonna' eat that whole Subway sandwich?

5. Snake?!?!

7. Why are Bert & Ernie still living together as "friends" after 40+ years?

8. How close was that lightening bolt?

9. Why don't these headlamps work more than 2 feet in a full-out rainstorm?

10. Why does this veggie burger taste so good after 36 miles of running?

How about a section devoted

How about a section devoted to just ultra barefoot running? I don't see anyone bringing that topic up here yet. We all know how unique the challenges are for those who run great distances barefoot, and you have lots of experience in tackling the higher miles barefoot, I bet people could really benefit from what you've learned these past years. Offer some tips and tricks, what to expect, and notes of reassurance along with the "it's okay if you don't make it this time; there's always next time!"

Shorty, your headlamp doesn't

Shorty, your headlamp doesn't go too far I'm the rain (and probablly fog) because it runs on too night of a wavelength, and therefore the attenuation of the light is too high. Look for a light with a smaller wavelength / frequency.

I have another question

I have another question although its gender specific and don't think you would de able to address this from personal experience but it would be nice to know. I've often wondered if there are any ill effects from menstruating during the longer distances. Does your body deplete itself faster of any vital nutrients? Does your body need any added nutrients, minerals or supplements? Also aside from menstruating what about any ill effects on the endocrine system running stupid miles? I ask this because it seems whenever I run stupid miles or complete a triathlon I go through a bit of a funk after which feels a little like PMS.

Chaserwilliams wrote:Shorty,

Chaserwilliams said:
Shorty, your headlamp doesn't go too far I'm the rain (and probablly fog) because it runs on too night of a wavelength, and therefore the attenuation of the light is too high. Look for a light with a smaller wavelength / frequency.

I figured as much. Kinda' hard when you're wearing a poncho, looking like ET or Kenny (Southpark) and it is darker than, well, it was very dark out in the middle of nowhere, and you can't see anything more than 10 feet in front of you 'cause the rain is so heavy.

Maybe that should be a question that is asked - What is a good headlamp for times when it is raining cats & dogs?

I use the Petzl Tikka2.

Zap, perhaps Jason could

Zap, perhaps Jason could consult with an OB/GYN and other medical professionals to ask those questions about depletion, causes, effects, etc., so he can add a section to his book. Sure, the men may feel down and out after or during the later part of an ultra, but it would be nothing compared to a woman who is menstruating, I am sure. It would be good to know what kinds of things people/women susceptible to depletion could do to minimize the negative effects (iron-not the constipating kind, salt, etc.).

How about the question that

How about the question that gets asked of most ultra runners... "why do you do it?"

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts