We've Got it All Wrong

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
My e-mail to the

My e-mail to the author:

Just wanted to set you a bit straight, barefoot runners DO run barefoot (you know, naked feet). Minimalist runners wear Vibrams, Merrell etc. The term Barefoot shoes is used for marketing purposes, it is akin to wearing a naked shirt, the phrase makes no sense. So, your article is about Minimal shoes and Minimalist running not barefoot running, there's nothing in your article about barefoot runners except the bit of misinformation that we wear shoes. Thanks,Dave

"I began landing on my

"I began landing on my toes"

No wonder he felt soreness almost straight away, any bets for when our doctor gets achilles tendonitis?
innocent.png

Let's be honest.  The proper

Let's be honest. The proper technique is a natural running gait. You can accomplish this in shoes, and BF. A certain learning process is important. Though the common thread is a more healthy running gait.

Though when a blogger/barefoot runner constantly does shoe reviews no peers critcizes for this. Intrestingly. I find that more entertaining then the article listed above. How is a barefoot blooger guy BF if they constantly wear shoes to review them ? I've already answered my own question cause they are using a natural running gait. Again it is more then possible in the right shoe with the right running gait training. It's just funny you have this thinking with like above articles, but you leave your shoe wearing, blogging BF runners alone. Now we even have BF guys that work for shoe companies. Entertaining, but that may move the shoe forward in the right direction. Which really is the goal to acheive a more healthy shoe. Same goes with the so called BF blogger wearing shoes all the time. The problem with the blog shoe review is it seems being critical of a shoe is hard for them to do. It's like the shoe was free so I must say overall good things. If they did critical reviews the shoe companies would have to comply due to critical consumer pressures. BF people are more critical, and that is what the shoe industry needs.

This movement would have a much greater chance if everyone worked together. Saying something is a barefoot shoe is a compliment ? Do you not see that ? Folks are getting to caught up in the terms. In the end it does not matter cause a individual will move forward as they determine what fits their needs best.

So are you a BF runner in the winter with a shoe ? Shoe no shoe it does not matter. You are a more healthy individual using a natural running gait. So many more healthy shoes are entering the market BF anything will be a thing of the past at some point. Though I will always enjoy being a daily barefooter in everyday life, but I applaud the advancements in shoe design coming down the road. We still got plently of room for shoe design improvements though.

Ignorant article.  Ignorant

Ignorant article. Ignorant reporter. Ignorant market.

When you are running barefoot, you are a barefoot runner. When you are running with anything on your feet, you are a shod runner. It's that simple. Naked is naked. Covered is covered. Who doesn't get this?

Some people do both but not at the same time as that would be impossible (unless they had one foot covered and one foot naked, but that would be quite silly). We won't mention the term Hybrid here, Ram. ;-) Unless you want to. Hee.

I think natural running and proper running are two different things.

There's honestly nothing natural about shoes of any kind. That's like saying my shirt is natural or my hat is natural. No, they are artificial; they are fabricated. Bare feet are natural.

Some people can acheive a proper (remember the words safe and healthy when reading the word proper here) running form in shoes, whether they be minimal or traditional, and/or without shoes. Likewise, some people can run barefoot and never acheive a proper form. The barefoot person may be running naturally, but if they don't have a proper form, they aren't running properly.

The average Joe's best chances at achieving this proper form is first by barefoot, then by minimal, and good luck with traditional, although it can be done (just not by the majority of us).

Overall, the best way for the majority of us to achieve a "natural and proper running form" is by running barefoot.

I was contemplating linking

I was contemplating linking the Hybrid Runner award winning blog post but decided it was best to let that beast lie...
wink.png

I think SA misses the point.

I think SA misses the point. I don't care what other's run in, but I do like to promote the idea of giving true barefoot a try.

I also want to preserve the right for us to race barefoot (it's banned in some events) and protect our freedom to legaly go barefoot anywhere we choose.

When a sports physician tells his readers that NOBODY really runs barefoot, he is harming the efforts of people like myself.

Forget running, my belief is that barefoot is better unless shoes as tools are needed, and people should be free to decide for themselves whether or not they want to be full-time tool users, part-time, or never. Most people won't accept the barefoot option because they have already been brainwashed by our shod culture.

If he said "Most of you have no desire to be barefoot, so thankfully there are shoes available now that mimic barefoot gait" that would be different. Instead he's claiming that people like us "skin to the grounders" are imaginary images created by the media's regular use of a newly defined by him word.

It's great that minimalist shoes are available, but I worry that they may do to barefoot running what flip-flops did to barefoot living......create an alternative to barefoot that eventually totaly replaces the real thing.

Flips are not better than barefoot, but in plenty of areas of the Western world very few people under 40 remember ever going barefoot outdoors.

Possibly all too soon when people hear about Bebe or Zola they will picture their wins at the races in Vibrams, Merrells, Adidas, Nikes, Sauconys, and New Balances. I mean, that's what barefoot is, right?

As suggested before, we

As suggested before, we really need a new vocabulary. See signature....

Let's try to come up with some creative ways to reclaim the word "barefoot". I am thinking, for example, of how gays & lesbians have reclaimed words like "queer", which might be derogatory in bigoted circles, but is said with pride among the GLBT community.

Okay, our problem is a different, since barefoot is not used dismissively, but just wrongly by the media and shoe companies.

I have long had an idea of making a small pamphlet on BFR--just the core elements to doing it. I would sell it in a Shoe Box. On the outside of the box it would say in big letters "Barefoot Running Shoes". The first words in the pamphlet would read: "You create your barefoot running shoes by first removing your current shoes and socks." It would then follow with the usual advise: fast cadence, short steps, knees bent etc.

Any further ideas?

Cheers

Paleo

P.S. the alternative would be, of course, to ignore the bloody idiots and just go for a run.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Ignorant

Barefoot TJ said:
Ignorant article. Ignorant reporter. Ignorant market.

When you are running barefoot, you are a barefoot runner. When you are running with anything on your feet, you are a shod runner. It's that simple. Naked is naked. Covered is covered. Who doesn't get this?

Preach on my barefoot sista! haha! I don't get how people don't get it.

How about an empty shoe box? 

How about an empty shoe box? ;-)

I'll believe that

I'll believe that barefoot=minimalist shoe the day I see someone pointing to a person running in Nike Free's and yelling out:

"WHOA! Look at that, BAREFOOT!"

Thank you, Gent and JT.  I

Thank you, Gent and JT. I worked hard on that. ;-)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7