Week 23 of 2012

I had an interesting run this (early) morning. Scott Jurek was starting a short tour to promote his new book "Eat and Run" and the first day was in NYC. 50 odd, very odd, people signed up to run the 32 mile circuit of Manhattan and, whilst I as the only barefoot runner there were 4 others in VFF and probably 30 in other minimalist shoes - a pretty high proportion of Ultra runners seem to like minimalist shoes, at least for road use!
(I had to get to work and only got in 23.5 pleasant, conversational miles on a beautiful morning. I'll guess that 15 people did the whole thing.)

Reactions: ElyDave
Not reported in here for quite a while now.

week beginning Sunday 20th May, no running at all. Letting my knees rest and working on stretching and strenghtening around the ITB. I did manage plenty of yoga that week though.

Last week, had a two day trip to Rome starting Sunday so no weekend long run. Got in a total of 50km over 4 runs and an hour of yoga

This week so far 29km running, and a 30 minute rowing session for 6871m, an hour of yoga yesterday. Plus keeping up the ITB work.

Next week will be disrupted as I'm leaving for the airport this afternoon to take a trip down to Australia and New Zealand for ten days with work, plus a weekend at the back end of it cathcing up with my cousin who emigrated to Christchurch. Planning to meet up with PKKFW who lives just outside Sydney and go for a run on Sunday when I arrive. It's been a good way to try and kick off the jet lag in the past.

I also haven't reported in awhile, well, due to the fact that I feel like I've been sucking. Plus I've been replacing some of my runs with bike rides either during lunch or in the evenings. I'm super-obsessed with cycling right now hah.

So I'm STILL on Week 5 of E25K, been stuck on it forever. I did Week 1 Day 1 for nearly the whole month of May and never could complete the entire workout. So I decided to just move on to Week 5 Day 2 last week, and this past Monday I completed Week 5 Day 2 on my normal 2 mile route.

Then today I did Week 5 Day 3 and completed it on the first try! It's 9 minutes running, 2m walk, 5m run, 2m walk, 2m run. So that makes today my longest ever continuous run of 9 minutes, and also longest combined running time of 16 minutes.

In recent weeks I've had to resort to my VFF's for running during lunch as the asphalt gets unbearably hot above about 75°F air temperature in full sunlight. But this week was cloudy on both days I went out so I was able to go full BF for both.

4.26 miles barefoot. Had an issue right off the bat with pain in my left foot. Took a couple miles to get it worked out. Never really found my rhythm until I was going up the last mile which is all uphill. I seem to notice going uphills my pace actually increases and it feels like my form really snaps into shape going uphills. Not sure what it is but it sure feels good.

Do I dare start posting mileage again? I feel like I'm jinxing it, but here goes:
Had peroneal tendinitis, which, btw, running does not seem to worsen as long as I'm not on uneven ground, and had 5 weeks of PT, did the exercises/wobble board religiously, did cross training, and finally began to run last week (week 22 I guess, 1.5 miles, 2.5 miles, 3.75 miles, bf) after several weeks off.

This week:
Tuesday: 4.5 (bf)
Thursday: 2 (shod: hot pavement!)
Friday: 2.5 (bf)

My ankle has been doing well, but just started flaring up again this afternoon after spending Thursday am & afternoon hiking on uneven ground for my daughter's field trip. May it pass quickly so I can get back into regular running once more.

1.85 for week 2, day 1 of the C25K. MASSIVE blister encompassing nearly the entire bottom of my left heel that I've had for a couple days. Walked/ran anyway. Then did 2.8 miles for a dog walk afterwards. Feet are sore, but I feel great. :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7