Watcha listenin' to?

If you like Amon Tobin Bare Lee check out the album Animal Magic by bonobo
Yah, thanks. I like Bonobo a lot too, and Thievery Corporation--all that moody electronic hyper-montage over hypnotic beat type crap ;) . That's pretty much my Pandora background music for when I'm doing bureaucratic / accounting stuff at my desk. Also, Steel Pulse, Black Uhuru type reggae and dub stuff. I'm a bass player, so I go for the grooves. Not much of a rock-n-roller any more, although I used to play in a (post)punk band way back in the day. Warmed up for Husker Du and The Replacements. My big claim to fame.

Still, don't listen to music while running anymore, except for the occasional free jam from the jam archives. Mostly, if I'm going to listen to something, I listen to my field recordings, so that I can kill two birds with one stone.

Yah, thanks. I like Bonobo a lot too, and Thievery Corporation--all that moody electronic hyper-montage over hypnotic beat type crap ;) . That's pretty much my Pandora background music for when I'm doing bureaucratic / accounting stuff at my desk. Also, Steel Pulse, Black Uhuru type reggae and dub stuff. I'm a bass player, so I go for the grooves. Not much of a rock-n-roller any more, although I used to play in a (post)punk band way back in the day. Warmed up for Husker Du and The Replacements. My big claim to fame.

Still, don't listen to music while running anymore, except for the occasional free jam from the jam archives. Mostly, if I'm going to listen to something, I listen to my field recordings, so that I can kill two birds with one stone.

Awesome! No claims to fame here but i used to play an old steel dobro in the local bars.

If you like the chilled dubby stuff then this album is for you Lulu Rouge Bless You

Reactions: Bare Lee
Just catching this thread for the first time. Bare Lee that Dora trailer cracked me up. My son is just outgrowing that stuff... I always preferred Go Diego Go myself. A little less girly for the boys. Ha!

As for myself, I've just recently gotten into the band Halestorm. I hardly listen to radio so I am a bit slow catching on, but I head a couple of their songs a few times on the radio but never caught the name until recent. IMO one of the best modern girl rock bands (and I don't really care for much 'new rock' now-a-days so thats saying a lot)... takes me back to Heart and Pat Benatar...

I actually really liked this. Kinda surprised actually. I'll have to ask my 15 yr old daughter if she knows and likes the band.

Reactions: Tristan-OH
Lee, we found something that you and I are NOT alike on, and that's music. Lol! I can listen to the stuff you like, but it almost puts me to sleep as it's just kinda, well, hypnotic or too relaxing or something. I like a wide range of music, but you found the one type I'm really not a big fan of. I like everything from country to rock to Frank Sinatra to Island music and on and on.

Here's some music that I listen to frequently.
Obviously my tastes run a little deeper than this but this is the stuff I listen to the most frequently.

I actually really liked this. Kinda surprised actually. I'll have to ask my 15 yr old daughter if she knows and likes the band.

If you haven't heard of them before, here is their other popular song thats on the radio, another rock'n song
party0007.gif

I'm not as big of fan of their video as I am the actual music though, but I really dig em.

A lot of their stuff isnt as hard rock as those, they have a lot of softer songs, and some good covers. Here is a softer one that I really enjoy, almost modern country-ish:
Oh, and here's to all of us here!
cheers.gif

Just to throw you all a curve ball here is some Japanese Rock songs I really dig too...

Raison D'Etre by Nightmare I really like the lyrics on this one actually:
or English lyric version

And Danzai no Hana (Guilty Sky) by Riyu Kosaka I found this one that is the vid and the English lyric translation.

Running: Sandstorm - Darude
I remember back when I used to do studio cycle classes that was always one of the songs. it was the perfect cycling song. I may just have to put that one on my playlist for running, havent heard it in a long time, thanks!

Nick, I like the middle three. Basically, I don't like anything too formulaic, and most pop these days does sound like it's coming out of a factory. Still, there's some great pop and rock out there, I just don't have time to check it for the most part. Beyonce for example, is amazing. The electronica stuff I mentioned, serves, as I mentioned, mostly as background music while I'm doing chump work at my desk. When I'm driving I like mostly old soul and funk and reggae and some world beat type stuff.

But yeah, we were bound to find something we didn't match up on exactly eventually.

Now, thanks to Tristan, I got Pat Benatar on my mind. She reminds me of the feisty St. Paul girls I went to high school with. And then I'm thinking of Veruca Salt

Hey, Tristan, I like that first Haelstrom song you just posted. The rest, ... I guess I'm getting old.

Tristan, here's a Halestorm song that a buddy of mine recommended. I had no idea he even liked them. He's more up to date on music than I am.
I didn't really care for this one as much at first, but after hearing it a couple times I'm finding I like it more and more.

I do like Veruca Salt, and I also really love the funk. I have quite a bit of the funk in my running playlist. I also really dig Ingrid Michaelson's music (yes I might be a slight girly boy);). You mentioned world beat stuff. Anything like this?
or (I have no idea what they are saying, but I like the beat and sound of it.)
or
or
Here's one of the Ingrid Michaelson songs that I like.

Yah, mostly the middle one.

There's also a crap load of really good African pop out right now too. Here's a popular artist from the south of Mozambique:
and here's a more traditional pop, something my father-in-law would play at parties/gatherings. They're singing in the language I study, but in a different dialect:

Oops, sorry Nick us Brits are fed on a healthy diet of Monty Python from a young age so anything like the Avalanches song is just business as usual.
Here's something to cheer you up.

Reactions: NickW
Nick, I've never heard of these guys before and really like them!

I listen to Pandora mostly on one of the many running stations. The other day my Pandora would not work and I listened to Hubby's music that he put on my phone. So I listened to Disturbed, Akon, Avenged Sevenfold, Alicia Keyes, and who knows what else...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts