Vibrams or barefoot

I would agree that if you

I would agree that if you aren't having any trouble you don't have to change. But you also don't know what you're missing.

Also I would like to strongly stress the fact that barefoot runners DO NOT deaden their soles. You think the reason many of use can no longer stand to have our feet in shoes is because we can't feel them anymore? No. Bringing your bare feet into contact with the varied surfaces one ecounteres in a day greatly increases how much you really FEEL your feet. The actual nerve sensitivity is not affected at all, but you're brain picks up on the nerve impulses much more than it would in shoes. Your feet don't need to constantly tell your brain that they are in a shoe (although if they did, I'm sure everyone would go barefoot.) When we talk about sole conditioning we mean that the skin on the bottom of the feet thickens, which helps to spread out the impact of rocks and such. You also need to increase your foots ability to put up with the weight bearing associated with running. None of us here have deadened feet though.

I see what Ken Bob means now.

I see what Ken Bob means now. I still think it is a poor choice of words though.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be frequenting this site if I wasn't interested in BFR. I'm gradually building up my distance completely BF and have never worn VFF's, I've only just bought a pair and am waiting for them to arrive(the "fake" ebay ones as I'm not interested in paying $180AUD for a bit of rubber and cloth). I just don't think making blanket statements like Ken's, without being specific about what exactly is meant, isn't such a good thing. Props to the guy for running BF and having lots of good info and such but everyone is different and his personal experience, whilst a good basis for advice, should not necessarily be taken as the gospel given truth.

Well, we have to look at who

Well, we have to look at who Ken Bob's audience is though. He is speaking to barefoot runners.

Interesting point Danjo, I

Interesting point Danjo, I was wondering about this today because just in the last week I've been able to run on chip seal, gravel and other rocks without wincing, yet I feel every bit of it; it just feels good in a very hard-to-explain way.

After so much repeated

After so much repeated sensory feedback from the terrain, it's quite possible that our soles remain sensitive, but our minds become stronger.

I have my moments.

I have my moments.

thanks for all the great

thanks for all the great responses.

I think for now I will finish training for this marathon in January in my VFFs, and after that start transitioning to completely barefoot...

gldmeier wrote: thanks for

gldmeier said:
thanks for all the great responses.

I think for now I will finish training for this marathon in January in my VFFs, and after that start transitioning to completely barefoot...

I'm in the same place you are I think. I love my KSOs and have trained for and done one triathlon in them and am doing another next weekend. But I just gotta try this barefoot thing. You people are like drug pushers, "Nah man, just a little run. It ain't gonna hurt you none. You'll love it. Trust me." And I'm totally buying it. Plus, as I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum, not putting on a second pair of shoes will knock my T2 time right down.

FiveFingers: The Gateway Shoe

Dirtbag: Triathlons are a

Dirtbag: Triathlons are a special case. If it's a USAT or WTC(Ironman) sanctioned event you have to wear shoes according to the rules. What kind of shoes doesn't matter and the marshals may or may not enforce the rule but it still isn't allowed. I still think you should try going barefoot in training though. When I transitioned I tried barefoot first since I didn't have the funds for VFFs and once I did, it was too late. Barefoot just feels so much better.

Good deal, Rafi!

Good deal, Rafi!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts