Vibrams or barefoot

gldmeier

Barefooters
Nov 3, 2010
I have been running in Vibrams for about 9 months now. I started in KSOs and recently switched to Bikila. I recently did a long run in my running shoes and experienced so much pain and difficulty it sealed th deal for me. I am sticking to the Vibrams.

I was wondering though what the difference is between running in VFFs or running actual barefoot. Is there a difference? If I am running well in Vibrams, is there a reason to go more extreme?

If you're happy I don't see a

If you're happy I don't see a need to change anything, but you should try running barefoot sometimes and see how much you enjoy it. You may get addicted.

Personally, I wish I could run properly in VFF, especially for the winter or at the gym. I'm still a beginner and if I put anything on my feet my form gets sloppy. And now I love the feeling of having fresh non sweaty feet all the time.

I don't think there should be any pressure to go more minimal, or no sense that barefoot runners are better than minimalists. Just try running short distances barefoot a couple of times and see what works better for you.

I see you are bi- oops, I

I see you are bi- oops, I mean barefoot-curious. We have a website for that. :)

If you are running well, not getting hurt, etc. then you have nothing compelling you to try BF. But it definitely maximizes the sensations of running, and the sensitivity of your body to conditions, and your involvement with the environment. It's quite intoxicating. Go easy on yourself when you try it... this forum has a "Library" and a "Barefoot Running 101" guide to help you get started.

I always say if it ain't

I always say if it ain't broke don't fix it. If at some point you find that your form is failing you in the VFFs, then be sure to consider barefoot running. Other than that, you really don't know what you are missing. Running barefoot is like no other. It is just something you will have to try with an open mind and a willingness to give it time to work for you. Whichever you decide, we're here to help you.

Welcome!

I ran for 4 months really

I ran for 4 months really barefoot and got Bikilas "for cause" after wearing out my pads on the balls of my feet. The problem was one of form, which I'm working on, but the goal, for me is to get as close to 100% BAREFOOT as I can because I love the way I feel about running that way. You might find a number of threads here that explore the "why barefoot" question from many different angles. I think most folk here are in agreement, though, that BF is not VFF is not BF. You will or won't find your own way through this question. Luck! And smooth running, however you go to do it.

Barefoot is free, that makes

Barefoot is free, that makes a difference to me. Some say that the feedback provided by your feet is the best way to find your most efficient running form. Chances are you would notice a difference if you did try out going barefoot. It is kind of like the difference between running on smooth concrete versus chip seal. You can cheat a lot more on concrete but it will be virtually impossible to go fast and far cheating on chip seal.

Ken Bob always says, "If you

Ken Bob always says, "If you can't run the distance barefoot, you shouldn't run the distance shod."

I finally saw a VFF runner at

I finally saw a VFF runner at last Sunday's 5K. I've seen other barefooters at races before, but never someone actually in Vibrams. He really raved about him. I say if your running happy and pain-free, then keep doing what you're doing.

Now that's quite the opposite

Now that's quite the opposite of what most other people are reporting. Mostly we see VFF runners and few if any barefoot runners.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Ken Bob

Barefoot TJ said:
Ken Bob always says, "If you can't run the distance barefoot, you shouldn't run the distance shod."

See this I just don't get. My regular run is 10km and I can run that shod without problems. I can't run it barefoot simply because the skin on the bottom of my feet is super sensitive. It always has been. I'm probably the most ticklish person in the world because my skin is so sensitive. My little pinky fingers are ticklish if you touch them the right way! So I don't really see the point in only running so far as the super sensitive skin on the soles of my feet will let me. And I have no real interest in deadening the sensitivity of my feet for no other reason than to allow me to run barefoot. Maybe if running in any sort of shoe was giving me pain I could see the benefit but if there is no pain, no injuries etc then what's the point besides some sort of personal principle?

It reminds me of weight lifting. Pull ups can be difficult and what will generally reach failure first is your grip strength. Should you never do more pull ups than your grip strength will allow even if your lats and arms could do double the amount or should you put some wrist straps on and go till your lats and arms reach failure?

PKFFW, if what you are doing

PKFFW, if what you are doing is working for you, and you are happy with that, then why would you change anything? No reason to.

When people are transitioning to all bf, and reasons for this are all over the place, most people try to do "to much to soon" and wind up with some type of injury. If you only did what the soles of your feet were ready for, we would have far fewer bf running injuries. I think that is why KB says that.

My own experience supports this. YMMV. Cheers!

That is not what Ken Bob is

That is not what Ken Bob is talking about. He's not talking about those people who run only shod. He's talking about the people who push through minimal shoes then take them off thinking they can attempt those same distances barefoot. It's not a principle. It's good, solid advice. It speaks directly to the problems we're seeing with TMTS- related injuries.

I have always said that if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you are perfectly happy and healthy running in minimalist footwear and know that you would not be able to tolerate running barefoot then why change it?

PKFFW wrote:Maybe if running

PKFFW said:
Maybe if running in any sort of shoe was giving me pain I could see the benefit but if there is no pain, no injuries etc then what's the point besides some sort of personal principle?

It reminds me of weight lifting. Pull ups can be difficult and what will generally reach failure first is your grip strength. Should you never do more pull ups than your grip strength will allow even if your lats and arms could do double the amount or should you put some wrist straps on and go till your lats and arms reach failure?

Yes but how do you get your grip stronger? You don't use wraps. That's how I look at shod running, it's not making your feet stronger.

I agree with TJ.  If it isn't

I agree with TJ. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. I also agree with her statement about not knowing what you're missing. I do about 2/3 of my yearly miles barefoot, the other third in minimalist shoes of some sort. I definitely prefer barefoot, it adds a whole new element of enjoyment to a run.

PKFFW wrote:
I don't[/b said:
PKFFW said:

The weird thing I've found with barefoot running is it makes my feet perhaps MORE sensitive, though they are tougher and smoother than ever before. I can feel everything and I think barefoot runners feel everything all the time, even when their feet are very well conditioned.

Mine are like leather but I still can't get a foot massage without falling into fits of giggles. When I started my feet were soft like a baby's butt and rocks and things hurt. Now they don't hurt but I can feel them and react to them. You find with barefooting your body redistributes its weight when you step on something weird, which is one of my favorite discoveries with barefoot running. It's like the nerves are working and sending so much more information to you to alter your form, or step lightly, etc. etc. depending on terrain.

But VFFs are great. I plan on strapping on my KSOs all winter to keep the dogs warm.

I personally don't have a

I personally don't have a problem with shoes as well, my feet were strong in shoes before I went into barefoot running. But I did alot of stuff barefoot anyways, before I started running barefoot.

Running barefoot for 14 months now, I am hooked and have no desire to go back to "regular shoes" I started running barefoot because I was getting bored with running, and needed to new challenge. I ran 18 years shod without one injury.

It is so true that you really

It is so true that you really have to want to run barefoot in order to run barefoot successfully. If you have no desire to run barefoot you will not be successful at it.

Abide, check out the Site

Abide, check out the Site Help forum for tips on using the Quoting feature. Yes, it sucks, I know.

There were two main

There were two main components that led me to take off my Vibrams to try running barefoot.

1) I wasn't completely sure my form was correct. The previous year I was convinced that learning to land on my mid-foot was going to help me ease pressure on my plantar fasciitis. I had been trying to teach myself Chi Running wearing shoes and I had thought I was doing well getting a mid-foot landing, but when I saw a picture of me running a 5K, I was shocked to see myself landing right smack dab on my heel! It was obvious that I wasn't getting the form right after all that time spent trying to do it. I was flabbergasted when I saw the picture. I had been so sure I was doing it "right."

2) After reading about barefoot running, I came to believe that it would be easier to learn a better foot-landing either barefoot or in a minimal shoe. I wanted to try it very badly, but couldn't bring myself to run on the "dirty" sidewalks, so I decided to try Vibrams instead. The main reason I took the Vibrams off was that it was so easy to run in Vibrams that I ran much further than I could in my shoes the first day I tried them. I started reading about how it was easier to do too-much-too-soon this way, and that my bare soles, with their sensitive nerve endings, would be sure to keep me stepping correctly and also keep me from overdoing it.

I originally took the Vibrams off for that reason, planning to use them again once I had good form and was strong enough. However, it was such a wonderful experience that I haven't put my shoes back on yet.

Being an overweight runner, I think barefoot has helped me be patient and progress gradually and slowly and protected me from getting another injury like plantar fasciitis.

Here's the picture, btw:

Party+With+a+Purpose+5K+DSC_0028a.jpg

See me landing right on that heel?!?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts