Transitioning from Bare Feet to High Heels

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Personally I think she's taking a step backwards, but to each his/her own.
"As a sand volleyball player, Egnot never wore heels. She competed while barefoot. Between tournaments, she focused on taking care of her feet — including avoiding shoes that cause stress.
But now that she competes in the figure division at bodybuilding competitions, she needs to know how to flex her muscles while wearing high heels — and not make it look like she’s straining."

Full article here:

www.sj-r.com/article/20131117/NEWS/311179939/10372/NEWS/?tag=2#ixzz2lnRPmWPd

Why does she have to wear high heels? I can't read the whole article right now, sorry.

Not sure if I'm supposed to throw away my Man Card or not, but I guess I just don't get it. I've always thought women looked sexy, healthy, and fit in bare feet yet ridiculous in heels especially while wearing a swimsuit.

From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitness_and_figure_competition

"A typical Fitness competition consists of a swimsuit round and a routine round. In the swimsuit round, the competitors wear two-piece swimsuits and high-heeled shoes, presenting their physiques with a series of quarter- or half-turns toward the judges and audience."

"A typical figure competition includes two rounds, though this varies by organization. In the symmetry round, the competitors appear on stage in high-heeled shoes and a one-piece swimsuit in a side-by-side line that faces the judges. ............... In the next round (the group comparisons), competitors return in high heels and a two-piece bathing suit, executing a series of quarter-turns. At this stage, they are judged more critically against the others for conditioning, leanness, and how "feminine" and "athletic" (as opposed to brawny) their muscularity is."

Participants get spray tans the day before or day of a show. Female competitors get their hair and makeup done, and some wear fake eyelashes. Before a show, the women look for bathing suits that are designed to show off their physiques. The suits, which have extra-long straps and often are custom-made with a fair amount of crystal bling, can cost $250 to rent or around $1,000 to buy.

Guess it's a combo of a "beauty pageant" and body building.
They can call it "fitness" or "figure" competition, but it's all about a perceived concept of appealing aesthetics.

I have a couple of good friends who do this (one is a former Canadian Amateur top 5 the other is Canadian top 5 pro). The heels are just the standard footwear similar to all beauty pagants, basically the old faux pa to be the vision of a sexy woman you need to wear high heels. Especially since these women have more muscle mass and definition than most men would ever dream to have, they are expected to show their feminine side by wearing the bikinis and the high heels. Plus I believe it helps stretch out the calve muscles for better definition as well (just what I have heard, not that I know for sure), though I think that is stupid personally. Both my friends only wear high heels when they are in competition, because they are expected too.

I've competed in figure. Wasn't my thing, I hated the shoes and all the bling bling (but I wasn't big enough at that time to compete in anything else). I love the physique division for women. It's like natural bodybuilding and a lot smaller than the division called bodybuilding. It just took a lot of years before I was big enough to compete in it though, but I did, and can now call myself a physique competitor.
There's still the getting hair done, getting tanned, and the makeup, but it's on bare feet and you get to pose and show of your hard earned muscles :D

I'm surprised the contestants don't fight for a rule change. It's hard for me to believe that women that train that hard actually prefer to compete in heels. Seems like something some male judges dreamed up to satisfy their fantasies.

Reactions: Hobbit
I might just have to dig up some pictures to post in the a-fore-mentioned post that Sailor is referring too. Hmmm will have to do that later.

Guess some guys as well as girls like the look. To me it's like the difference between a pole dancer in heels (usually a stripper) vs a barefoot one (usually a fit athlete)image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: Bare Lee
Why do I get the feeling that this thread is going to lead to more entries in a certain other thread here in the Pub? ;)
Just when TJ thought it had died...

Sssssh! Or I will hunt you down to the corners of the Earth! :peeking:

I might just have to dig up some pictures to post in the a-fore-mentioned post that Sailor is referring too. Hmmm will have to do that later.
And I will hunt you down as well... :peeking:

Reactions: Barefooting Bob
That's ok TJ I would have to get permission from a-fore-mentioned friends in photos before I would feel right posting them here. My guilt would run deep if i didn't.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Alrighty then. We'll just leave it at that.

Uploaded the pole pics to this forum by downloading them to my phone first. Spent Thanksgivikah with the extended family. Oldest daughter checked out a family pic on my phone and then must have been scrolling, "Dad, what's THIS!!!!

She thought I actually took the photo in a pole gym. Probably still does.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7