Training Advice Needed

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
I know nothing about running, and ran my first race (a 5K) May 8.

My fastest training run prior to that was 3 miles in just under 36 minutes, but my chip time in the race was 31+somthing.

Next race was last Sat, a 2 miler, in 18:16.

Today I wanted to see what I could do 1 mile barefoot on hot asphalt in at 3:00 p.m. with a full day of sun heating up the surface, and did 8:26, with the first half mile at 4:09.

I plan on racing a 5K a week from Sunday.

I know I can run 5K, but want my best possible time.

Do I keep training at a 8 1/2 minute pace, and add distance, or do I keep running 5 K and adding speed?

I know everyone has been saying speed will come after distance, but right now I would rather finish timely for my age (57) while savoring the BFR AW thing in the 5K than settle for completing a 10K middle of the pack.

Got to know for tomorrow's training run!

I think you know what to do,

I think you know what to do, you AW you.

As far as training goes, keep running on hot asphalt to get them legs a turnin' just as fast as they will go. That'll make you speedy.

TJ, I was afraid my bearings

TJ, I was afraid my bearings were going to seize up on me.

I took a board out this evening just so that I wouldn't have to

live up to a least credible name thing soon!

You know what would really be

You know what would really be funny? Why not enter a race and carry one of your longboards while you run barefoot. People will be like, "WTH? No fair. He's cheating!"

Last week's event had a stars

Last week's event had a stars & stripes dude registered as "Captain America".

SOMEONE has to out do his AW atttempt, right?

Maybe I'll put together a super light board just for carrying!

board there is not a lot you

board there is not a lot you can do in a couple of weeks to get the speed built up. my advice is to keep your training the same as it has been with the exception of the next 5-7 days running about a faster per mile pace. Maybe something around a 9-9:30 pace. After that get your legs ready for a race and then the speed improvement for the race will have to come race day when you do what we call a gut check.

You might actually find a 10k

You might actually find a 10k at a moderate pace easier to run than a 5k full-out. Concentrate on getting time on your feet, and on running with good healthy form, and having fun. Don't worry about speed (my 2c).

One thing you can do to

One thing you can do to increase your speed is to add or replace one day of slower distance running with a day of HITT or High Intensity Interval Training.

Go to a local track or find a nice long straight road and run hard and fast for 1 minute then walk for a minute and repeat as many times as you can. Be very careful not to lose form and trash your knees. Speaking from experience here ;) The goal is to run fast in good form and max out your HR for a short period of time then allow it to start recovering then hit it again.

The benefits are your body gets to feel going fast and build some muscle memory around speed running and you build you increase your Lactic threshold so you can maintain a higher speed longer. Intervals will also increase your metabolism longer and higher than a slower distance run so they are great for weight loss.

The problem with always running longer slower distances is we teach our bodies how to go into a conservation mode for survival and interval training will break that mold and force the body to become more efficient at higher speeds.

Another great method is Fartlek training. Fartlek means "speed-play" in Swedish and is very effective in increasing your speed and endurance. As you head out for your regular run, keep up your usual pace for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then, kick up your pace for about 30 seconds, going as fast as you can. After 30 seconds, bring your pace back to normal until your breathing is no longer labored. Repeat this through the entire run. This stops the body from going into a conservation mode and forces it to learn how to run faster and harder.

Look at me, a turtle telling someone how to be a wabbit! ROTFLMAO!

LavaRunner wrote: Look at

LavaRunner said:
Look at me, a turtle telling someone how to be a wabbit! ROTFLMAO!

Yeah, well look at me, a month ago I planned on coming in last out of 5,000 5K runners in GR , and was very surprised to be in the middle of the pack.

I was the one saying healthy cardio training is all that's important, nothing else.

Last week when I came in third in my age group in the 2 miler, with 555 2 mile runners competing, I realized that I really could have walked up to the podium barefoot as the winner of my age/gender group had I just tried to!

Looking at some past year results at some other local races coming up, I could possibly win at even 27:00!

Like Willie said, it's important to have fun. Being the winner barefoot and adding credibility to the movement w/ a few thousand runners watching as I accept the prize sounds like fun to me!

First one is a week from Sunday, I'm shooting for 27:00.

I agree with Jimmy, a few

I agree with Jimmy, a few weeks won't necessarily put your average fast pace much over what it is now. Though I think Lava's on to something with the Fartlecks and TJ with her hot asphalt runs AND Willie with his 10k and having fun. Ok, guess I have nothing much to add other than, just kick some ass and take some names at your race. You can totally do 27mi hands down.

Oh no.  I was only teasing,

Oh no. I was only teasing, echoing Board about hot asphalt making you run faster. Running on hot asphalt may make you run faster temporarily (hee), but it would hurt like hell. I would never recommend doing that. I always run in the early morning or late evening during the summer. Okay, now I've cleaned my conscience, I feel better.

Some of my runner friends

Some of my runner friends told me that running hills is the best thing you can do to increase your speed...makes sense to me....and it seems to be working for me...that and it sure helps develop your wind too :).

Hee.

Hee.

OK....seriously thinking

OK....seriously thinking about popping my race cherry....with a Marathon....in Philly....21 weeks from now....is that possible? If so, what should I be doing?

nate that could be a long

nate that could be a long answer. 21 weeks is enough time to get ready if you've already got a base down. what's the longest runs you have under your belt? what are the goals for the race? i would start by looking at some basic marathon training plans and see if they work for you. i design training plans for a living so i can help you out if you need it but just looking up hal higdon and jeff galloway is always a good starting point.

Jason is working on

Jason is working on "barefoot" training plans for all distances. Barefoot Tyler is going to make them interactive where you can plug in variables on our site. Nate, maybe you could contact Jason and get something ahead of time.

Thanks, I will, if that's ok

Thanks, I will, if that's ok with Jason...I have lots of questions, especially as I start running longer distances...like hydration and in-run sustenance...at what point should I be thinking of carrying water?? I have a high tolerance for dehydration (years of training in the summer out in noon sun for a few hours with out a break....) but there's always a group around so if someone starts to go down, we can all help each other...last thing I need is to go down out on the trails or road by myself ;-)

He's revising his book too,

He's revising his book too, so I'm sure a lot of your questions will be answered there. I know you probably don't want to wait too long though.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts