Tim's real Silver Falls Half Marathon (trail) Race Report

Thanks JT!

My feat was as nothing when compared with the acts of my mate Mike Arnstein. I was running home from the Marathon Expo last week when I was hailed from behind by him and a friend. I know he runs plenty and that night he was on his way home to Yonkers (20+ miles) which is his regular commute. During our conversation his friend mentioned that Mike had won the Javelina 100 the weekend before and here he was 4 days later trotting home - talk about endurance!
Hey Chris, just curious. Have you always been a high mileage runner? Were you high-mileage before switching to BFR? How long did it take to work up to it, and did you encounter any adaptation problems or injuries along the way?

Hey Chris, just curious. Have you always been a high mileage runner? Were you high-mileage before switching to BFR? How long did it take to work up to it, and did you encounter any adaptation problems or injuries along the way?

Not so much.

My previous routine was 2 - 4 miles 3 times a week for a couple of months before I'd start hurting too much, rest up, season change, too hot/cold start over a few months later - repeat.

Running only became enjoyable, and year-round, when I went barefoot/minimalist a little over 3 years ago. The first few months there was a significant period of adaptation/development/learning/discomfort but my mileage gradually increased from 4.5 miles home 3 x a week to the current 12 mile round trip which happens most days of the week. I transitioned from TRS to a reduced shoe to VFF over the summer/fall of 2009 but didn't do my first barefoot run till April 2010.

My only injury during transition was when a tendon behind my left knee pinched a nerve, which caused me a good deal of discomfort for about 3 weeks, in the Fall of 2010. A physio, who saw me sitting out an event, solved the problem with a 2 minute manipulation.

Not so much.

My previous routine was 2 - 4 miles 3 times a week for a couple of months before I'd start hurting too much, rest up, season change, too hot/cold start over a few months later - repeat.

Running only became enjoyable, and year-round, when I went barefoot/minimalist a little over 3 years ago. The first few months there was a significant period of adaptation/development/learning/discomfort but my mileage gradually increased from 4.5 miles home 3 x a week to the current 12 mile round trip which happens most days of the week. I transitioned from TRS to a reduced shoe to VFF over the summer/fall of 2009 but didn't do my first barefoot run till April 2010.

My only injury during transition was when a tendon behind my left knee pinched a nerve, which caused me a good deal of discomfort for about 3 weeks, in the Fall of 2010. A physio, who saw me sitting out an event, solved the problem with a 2 minute manipulation.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. As you know, I've been a little frustrated lately in my own running, so it's encouraging to hear about runners like you.

One more question, once you went barefoot/minimalist, how quickly did you build up the mileage to your present range? Did it come quickly? Or was it a slow build over time? I doubt I'll ever be a high mileage runner, but I'm curious about what the possibilities are, and would like to get in one longish run a week. The times I've been unimpeded by tofp or this recent knee tweak, my sense is that the mileage could come fairly quickly. BFR has always felt much more effortless than shod running, although my experience in both is limited to 3 periods of two to three years each, 2 BF, and 1 shod.

Once I'd got the technique bedded in the miles came fairly easily. After a few weeks 3 runs a week wasn't enough so I worked up to 5, then I took my run from 4.5 miles to 6 and then to 7. Soon after that I added a morning 4 miler a couple of days a week which became 5.1 after a few months and more often.
I can remember that I did an unanticipated 28 mile barefoot run in September 2010, probably just before my tendon adventure, and a 34 miler that Hallowe'en. Extremely little of my running has been at high speed, I do most of my running at a little over 8 minute/mile with my heart rate under 130 bpm.

Taking it easy works for me!

Once I'd got the technique bedded in the miles came fairly easily. After a few weeks 3 runs a week wasn't enough so I worked up to 5, then I took my run from 4.5 miles to 6 and then to 7. Soon after that I added a morning 4 miler a couple of days a week which became 5.1 after a few months and more often.
I can remember that I did an unanticipated 28 mile barefoot run in September 2010, probably just before my tendon adventure, and a 34 miler that Hallowe'en. Extremely little of my running has been at high speed, I do most of my running at a little over 8 minute/mile with my heart rate under 130 bpm.

Taking it easy works for me!
Thanks again for the 'data'. My sense is that, besides 'listening to my body' for any signs of trouble, there's no real reason to hold back if I'm feeling it. We'll see. I may be a little overly paranoid about the injury bug. Hopefully this was a one-off thing, as it was in your case.

Your taking it easy is my current goal! Once I get there, the plan is to work on distance, converting one of my "speed work" days (Tempo / Intervals) to another LSD day. Another way to skin the cat, hopefully . . .