Tim's real Silver Falls Half Marathon (trail) Race Report

Lomad

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
I ran my first half marathon today (21k, to you, Rickwhitelaw). It's all on my blog, but I don't want to be a web traffic wh0re, so here's the full text for your reading pleasure:

Silver Falls Trail Half Marathon Race Report

...alternate title: 'there will be walking'

images
I walk YOUR uphills!

TL;DR version: Undertrained, underfueled, underhydrated, but gutted out a 2:31 for my first half (on hilly trails no less!)

The preparation: My training dropped off a cliff the last 3 or so weeks leading up to this race. First I hurt myself, bruising the sole of my foot in a really painful way. It hurt to walk on it, much less run, for
a full week. I had to keep miles super low coming back from that to play it safe, so there was another week. Add in being a first-year teacher and parent-teacher conference week destroying my schedule and there you have it. Not. Enough. Miles.

Oh well.

Equipment: Tech-T, Brooks shorts (the best!), and Altra Zero Drop trail shoes (Lone Peaks, for that '70's running shoe vibe. Since I can't let go of my barefoot/minimal shoe proclivities, but require some protection the Altras fit the bill nicely. Smartwool socks.Everything worked. No chafing, a couple hot spot toes (it was WET), but no blisters. Worked a charm.
obligatory post-race muddy shoe shot

The course: I don't carry crap with me when i run, so I don't have any pretty pictures from the race. Scroll down for stock shots of the Silver Falls trails. Words nor pictures can do it justice. It is simply beautiful. I love the Pacific Northwest, and the mix of evergreens with blasts of color from the hardwoods as they enter fall is a big part of that love.
images
yeah. I ran behind that fall.
images
not me. But, it coulda been me. 'Cause I ran behind that one too.
Oh yeah. There were hills. Lots of hills. 2000+ feet of gain/loss. Again, I'm a stupid who chose the hardest race I could find for a first half. I love trails, though, so whatever. It was worth it.
Giddyup
The race: I didn't train enough, I didn't eat well this week, and I was underhydrated. Plus, I was so nervous with this being my first half and all. All this baked into a big cookie of stomach cramps in the first 3 miles. I have never had this happen before and it totally freaked me out. I took some electrolyte drinky stuff at the first aid stop and it seemed to help a lot. So, I kept running. 'Cause, you know, races. mile four is my mortal enemy in any run; if I haven't already, I may dedicate a full post to the topic of how mile four of any run wants to kill me and eat my soul. At least I know this, though, and know if I push through I feel much better and run well after. Mile four of this race was a big fat hill, the first of many. I ran a lot of it, walked some of it, exchanged witty banter with many fellow competitors all through it.
miles 5-7 were uneventful, just rolling hills with amazing scenery. Pick 'em up, put 'em down, keep steppin'.
mile 8-9. Ehr. Mah. Gawd. STAIRS. Really. Who puts stairs in the last third of a half-marathon? Sadists, that's who. My quads were roasted at this point from all the up, no recovery, down, rolling terrain. This was the icing. It was not easy. I may have conspired with another runner to trip and choke anyone who ran past us up the stairs. Fortunately this pact was not tested (there was a judgment call situation, though. He was allowed to live; stupid fast people). After the stairs it leveled out quite a bit, with some small rollers through the waterfall. Nothing beats running behind a waterfall. It is rad. no discussion will be had of this point.

10-13 (point one, suckaz. It's a half marathon. Represent.). Feeling surprisingly good, then, ohdeargodwhatisthis??? Who puts a big arsed hill in the last. Freaking. Mile of an already tough race. I walked up it, mostly. Whatever. I'm s confident male and can admit it. funny, though, I was only passed by one or two runners. They were all female runners. Female runners are awesome and way stronger than me. Props.
The finish: About a month or so ago I projected a 2:37 finish for myself. I ran it in 2:31. This means two things. One, I am good at projecting my finish times. And two, I beat my projection. Suck it Father Time! All in all I really enjoyed the race. The people were superfriendly, and the volunteers were awesome. I will definitely run this one again.

Good report! Glad to see that your knee held up, too.

FWIW, my best 1/2 time is 2:41:xx and that's on the road, so you're doing great from my POV.

My first 1/2 was the SF Marathon. In addition to having the standard 26.2 course, they divided it up in to two 1/2's (Embarcadero to Golden Gate Park and Golden Gate Park to Embarcadero). I did the first half as it had us run over the Golden Gate Bridge; that one ended in hills. The end of a race is a very poor place to put hills, and when I become King, I'm going to ban that sort of thing...

Good for you. STAIRS! Yikes!
It seems the views were incredible, so when you didn't want to think about your quads or your cramps, you had that.
:eek:
Every other half you do will be all child's play in comparison. Do at least one flat half where you make small talk the whole time with anyone in earshot about that half you did that was uphill both ways with stairs and a monster under the waterfall and and and and .......
Congratulations!

Awesome Tim! You did great! I did not realize that course was so hard and beautiful. I had another friend who ran it to. I can't even imagine doing it right now. Someday, I might be back up to that kind of mileage. Congrats again Tim!

Reactions: Lomad
I ran my first half marathon today (21k, to you, Rickwhitelaw).

You say something in one post, Jeeze.;) Don't worry, I haven't converted all of my tools to the metric system. Blame it on the Canadian guys and the winter challenge. I had to learn how to convert miles into k's. Still have a chart for the temperature conversion. Anyway.....

Great report and good job on your Trail half marathon. Beautiful location. I'm looking to do more trail races and runs next year, It's just what I love to do.

Good report! Glad to see that your knee held up, too.

By the by, I realized that I had somehow gotten you confused with Bare Lee, who is having the knee problems...not that I'm not glad that your knees held up, too, the knees being key in our ability to bend our legs and sit in chair and such...

Reactions: happysongbird
By the by, I realized that I had somehow gotten you confused with Bare Lee, who is having the knee problems...not that I'm not glad that your knees held up, too, the knees being key in our ability to bend our legs and sit in chair and such...
People do get us confused. Thanks for thinking obliquely of my knees in any case. I'll think about your meaty calves in reciprocation if you like.

Reactions: RunningPirate
People do get us confused. Thanks for thinking obliquely of my knees in any case. I'll think about your meaty calves in reciprocation if you like.

I literally laughed out loud when I read that...

Reactions: Lomad and Bare Lee
I read sections of your report out loud to family sitting nearby, because I was laughing and they wanted to know why. Reminds me of a 10K (me)/ half mar (husband) that we participated in this summer. I know they can't predict the weather, but I had to wonder if the race directors had ever run in blazing-open-desert-heat on hills. Guess I'll be more careful to check out courses ahead of time from now on! It was brutal!

Thanks for the support and wisecracks, all. A word to the locals: This is not a bf-friendly race. Lots of sharp-edge rock in the trail hidden by slick, wet leaves. Even wearing my Lone Peaks with a stone guard my arches are pretty achy from the beating today. That's the only bodily whining, though. Everything else feels great.

Oh, and I cannot believe I left out the best aid station at mile 6.9 (aid station 69 as they labeled it...); a group of super cool, non-race affiliated folks hiked in an aid station serving nice dark beer in dixie cups. It made the race!

Just wonderful! That's why I run! and why I'm bummed over having to miss my half this morning. Another day...

One of the best things about a race like yours is that you can just take it a step at a time through the coming year and have PRing for this race to look forward to.

Trail races that have anything technical at all about them are all sui generis, their own beasts, and the time you run one in is only comprable to the time you run the same course of the same race in.

Just think, you could have been lined up with 30,000 or 40,000 folks in Staten Island to run the NY Marathon...or, no, right, that was cancelled. I believe I would prefer the scenery and air of your race, stairs or not.

Thank you!

Just think, you could have been lined up with 30,000 or 40,000 folks in Staten Island to run the NY Marathon...or, no, right, that was canceled. I believe I would prefer the scenery and air of your race, stairs or not.

I would have preferred that trail run too but New York today was just fine.

I got into Central Park just after noon and saw a great number of people running the road. I got talking to a couple from England who were on mile 19 and still moving at a pretty reasonable clip. A couple of loops later I decided that, as I cannot run in the park on the first Sunday in November in any other year, I may as well make the most of it this year and spend a little more time than I'd planned and run 26 miles. It was a beautiful day having got down to just above freezing overnight but warmed up to about 9C by the time I was done. The crowds had thinned out by the time I was on my 3rd loop but everyone seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the beautiful day and I detected no hint of unpleasantness.

I started, and ended, my run at my front door and covered the 26.2 miles, barefoot, in 3:38. I was definitely flagging in the last few miles. Perhaps I should have eaten more than a banana!

I started, and ended, my run at my front door and covered the 26.2 miles, barefoot, in 3:38. I was definitely flagging in the last few miles. Perhaps I should have eaten more than a banana!

Did I read that right? You ran 26.2 after eating nothing but a banana?

As for lack of unpleasantness, I'd say that's largely because the race was called. I would not have wanted to be running the course through the destruction - I don't think that the residents would have seen the humor in that...

Did I read that right? You ran 26.2 after eating nothing but a banana?

As for lack of unpleasantness, I'd say that's largely because the race was called. I would not have wanted to be running the course through the destruction - I don't think that the residents would have seen the humor in that...
The banana was at mile 19 :)

I could have been doing this too - but probably not barefoot!

I would have preferred that trail run too but New York today was just fine.

I got into Central Park just after noon and saw a great number of people running the road. I got talking to a couple from England who were on mile 19 and still moving at a pretty reasonable clip. A couple of loops later I decided that, as I cannot run in the park on the first Sunday in November in any other year, I may as well make the most of it this year and spend a little more time than I'd planned and run 26 miles. It was a beautiful day having got down to just above freezing overnight but warmed up to about 9C by the time I was done. The crowds had thinned out by the time I was on my 3rd loop but everyone seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the beautiful day and I detected no hint of unpleasantness.

I think you've just set a new standard for barefoot awesomeness! It's the nonchalance that puts you over the top.

Thanks JT!

My feat was as nothing when compared with the acts of my mate Mike Arnstein. I was running home from the Marathon Expo last week when I was hailed from behind by him and a friend. I know he runs plenty and that night he was on his way home to Yonkers (20+ miles) which is his regular commute. During our conversation his friend mentioned that Mike had won the Javelina 100 the weekend before and here he was 4 days later trotting home - talk about endurance!