Timing Error Ages BFRacer Within Hours

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
I don't make this stuff up...
There's a skin to the ground BF runner that had been advised by doctors to give up ALL sporting activity PERIOD due to age related pathology.
He had only logged 7 miles total running time in the year 2012 until yesterday when he decided to run a slow paced 5K race.
With pain the day before the event and worsening discomfort the morning of, he was THRILLED to complete it in his second from slowest ever recorded 5K time.
Imagine his surprise when checking the 10 year age bracket (small event) results and seeing his name listed as # three!
He had gone from essentially no running or sporting activity not only to a medal recipient but BAREFOOT to boot (bare?)!
Standing around the crowd at the awards ceremony fully primed for his big AW moment he was pumped & ready to bask in the limelight but was ultimately SHOCKED to hear the announcer name three old men other than him to step forward for the ribbons.
A quick check back at the postings confirmed......#3, despite being the oldest of all 14 of the runners in that particular age group. So what happened?
After eating his apple he asked the announcer to see HIS list, and there lied the depressing truth ......#4. Some dude had unfortunately been left out of the initial listing, but the mistake had been caught just in time for the ceremony.
Assuming that it was a corrected tally, the BFRunner took it all in stride and was more than happy to answer all of the barefoot questions from the crowd.
He gave out the BRS URL, plugged Jason as well as Dr. Daniel Howell, mentioned Harvard's Dr. Lieberman, etc.
So how did this great day but awards ceremony let-down effect him?
Shortly after midnight he transformed from a young at heart to a GRANDPA!
Ain't she CUTE!

Attachments

• Elia Saffran.jpeg
    Elia Saffran.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 20
Congrats!!

Thanks guys,
And Jason: If I'm not in Chicago next weekend "see'n the baby", I'm thinking about the inaugeral Ann Arbor Marathon/half/5K as a follow up.
Any of the Michigan folks been planning on that one ?

Thanks guys,
And Jason: If I'm not in Chicago next weekend "see'n the baby", I'm thinking about the inaugeral Ann Arbor Marathon/half/5K as a follow up.
Any of the Michigan folks been planning on that one ?
Congrats Longboard!! Good to be back running I bet :)
Was thinking about it, ITBS has other ideas however...Don't want to screw up my plans for the Grand Haven Marathon (along the lake shore....cant argue with that).

She's here! :barefoot: She's finally here, and you are a grandpa! :barefoot: A much better award than any race medal. :barefoot:

Two orthopedic surgeons, one neurosurgeon, one primary care doc, one radiologist, THREE physiatrists, and one surgeon that does not do spinal procedures have evaluated me and my MRI and radiographs.
Will see another neurosurgeon in July, and have a second EMG done shortly before that.
All agree that my neck is shot, and that surgery w/ fusion will be needed more than once in my lifetime.
The only disagreement is on how urgent the need is, whether or not waiting is a pro or a con, and whether or not my spinal cord itself is being encroached upon enough already to be causing symptoms vs just the nerve root going to my right deltoid and biceps groups.
They are around 50-50 as to whether I should do zero activity vs continue exercising including running, with two of them advising against any delay or physical activity.
I'll have to make a decision at some point, but after a fusion and cleanout of all of the arthritic bone spurs my other levels which are already advanced as well will be working harder and speed up in their worsening, shortening the time before a second procedure would be required. Doing two levels at once significantly speeds up the destruction going on at the other levels.
No easy way out of this!
Can never run or bike after, so I'm having my last hurrah right now.

You won't be able to run or bike after a neck fusion, Board? Is that what they are telling you? Why wouldn't you be able to run, once you've all healed up? What will it be like for you after a neck fusion.

if you're in chicago can you not visit dr stoxen?

Board's in Michigan but much closer to him than I am. It would be worth a try to see him though, Board.

One look at my MRI and he would refer me on.
Combine that with my symptoms which include atrophy of my right arm,
and he would just wish me luck.
I have complete degeneration of all cervical discs, osteophyte growth encroaching on the spinal cord at all levels, as well as both sides every level at the nerve root foraminae.
Physical therepy and traction were stopped after the physiatrist viewed the MRI rather than just the report, as he then understood the neurosurgeon's concern..
Manipulation or traction at this stage is just too dangerous.
TJ, fusion doesn't prevent activity. It's because of how advanced the degeneration at all other levels is that the other uncovertebral and facet joints no longer would be able to make up for the loss of mobility at the fused joints, and their already advanced arthritic state would just worsen more rapidly with activity.
Sure, I AM a grandpa, but I wasn't planning on behaving like an old-school version for quite a while.
Yeah, we make plans........and G-D just laughs!

Why did this happen to you?! What are they saying caused all this?! You are still too young to have this happen to you as "natural causes."

How many places will they fuse?

By age 70 everyone has some degree of disc degeneration, I just fall into the early onset group, remember my metatarsal-phalangial joints had zero cartilage left ten years ago!
My non-blood related daughter lost ALL of her TMJ cartilage bilateraly by age 18!
My 90 1/2 year old biologically mine father has no trace of arthritis anywhere in his body, and during open reduction of his knee fracture due to a fall at age 87 the orthopod confirmed that ALL knee cartilage was PERFECT!
We try to figure things out logically, but things biologic are far more complex than anyone currently understands.

So, you're saying, "Sh!t happens!" basically. Not good. I want to know WHY! I'm sorry, my friend. I wish this wasn't happening to you. I've prayed for a better outcome. You are strong. Let's hope the rest of your body can compensate for a longer period of time to get you by.

From what I've decided based on the current body of knowledge the actual degeneration of the discs I had no say in. The bone growth that occured as my body tried to compensate probably would not have been as dramatic were I a couch potato. SO, my serious problems caused by the new bone encroaching on the nerve roots and for sure SOMEWHAT on the spinal cord itself may not have become as severe if I hadn't exercised so much, BUT, I would have probably been dead from coronary artery disease by now had I NOT.
(First cousin had massive MI at age 47, dad had bypass at age 70 AFTER MI while XC skiing. Never had any grandparents, all dead by the time I was born. All uncles gone by 50 )
I still recommend daily exercise for all.
PS: Dad has 29 teeth left, only three have crowns, none have undergone root canal treatment! And he's entitled to 100% free dental care anyday/anytime!
Go figure.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon