Timing Chip Preparedness Warning

The Dtags are a disposable that goes on a shoelace or ankle strap. The Btags are the same basic disposable but powerful enough to be read from the bib. The reusable chips are probably what you are encountering.
Where is your area?
Yes, the reusable ones (which carry a $30 charge if not returned!) are what I have seen.
I live in Des Moines, and most of the races I run are close by. The longest distance I have gone from here for a race thus far is around 80km, for which I drove (I also went to a charity run in Iowa City, about 170km away, called the Nearly Naked Mile, for which I wore only short shorts and cap in freezing weather).
I plan to run the Bare to Breakers in May (walked that twice) which will be a huge challenge as it is very hilly.

Interesting, I didnt even realize there were reusable ones. Every race I've ever run (going back to 2008 now) has used disposable ones, the D-tags up through 2011 then seems like they all switched to B-tags. At least in my area, I have only run local races in central Ohio. And I think there are only two main organizations around here that do all the equipment and support, so I guess that makes sense.

Reactions: Barefoot Walker
The reusable ones are not that great for barefooters. They are rather large and rigid and you have to use two cable ties inserted through the four holes to attach it to the ankle strap. leg.jpg

Reactions: Barefoot Walker
I saw the re-use ones at a race sponsored by a running store that already owned them so they were "free" for them now vs purchasing disposables. Also at a different race where the timing was "donated" by a timing company that uses them all, they decided to go with their cheapest option, the re-usable.
They claimed they have found them to be more accurate than the B-chip, but who knows, their sample may have been too small.

20131014_1_fall_colored_toes_foot_damage_timing-chip_holder.jpg
Here is what I devised for this.
The rubber strap was cut from an old bike tube, and was double-tied to stay on.. You can see my fall-colored painted toenails, a few abrasions from a small mishap, and some fur.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7