Thinking of running my first half marathon barefoot

Freerunner

Barefooters
May 8, 2010
I was an off and on barefoot runner. But I've been running regularly for the past 6 months either barefoot or in huaraches. The place where I train is basically a 3.5 mile loop that is mostly smooth concrete. I've been trying to up my mileage barefoot so I went from 7 to 9 to 10 which is my longest. But I notice I can handle 3 to 7 easy with no tenderness but after that its less about my pace and more about my feet getting tender. I recently got a PR in a 5k BFR and I feel like i'm in better shape that I could possibly PR in this half marathon.

But those times I run races where I'm not familiar with the area my form changes and I get some nasty blood blisters from roads that are not in the best conditions.

The thing that worries me is the distance and unknowns. I want to PR in this race but I feel that instead of worrying about my pace I'll be worried about the tenderness in my feet. I've run marathons and half marathons just not barefoot.

Any recommendations on what I should do the half marathon is in 3 weeks.

Take your huaraches and tie

Take your huaraches and tie them around your waist in case you need them later, then make your goal just to finish.

I'm with TJ - don't worry

I'm with TJ - don't worry about a PR, just go out and have a blast!

Agree with TJ and Sole, just

Agree with TJ and Sole, just smile and enjoy the run. Believe me you will have more questions fired at you on that half marathon you will totally forget about a PR. :cash:

You can try adding bucket

You can try adding bucket training to your running days when you're not sore or tender. If you run 3-5 and your feet feel good, jump in a bucket of gravel and march for an hour or so...it will toughen up your feet. Since I added this to my running days, the usual concrete feels like silk, I laught at rain grooves (plentiful in Texas) and acorns fear me! LOL! Ok...maybe that's a stretch, but it does help a ton!

If you are blistering, I'd bet money you're loosing focus on your form because of the new terrain, tightening up or running high. Check your knee bend, your foot landing and make sure you're relaxed, quiet from the waist up, loose and smooth.

That being said, I say go for it! If you can run 10, you'll know if you're ready for 13. My first will be in November and my longest run so far was 15K/9.3 and I knew I could gut out another 4.

Good luck, Boss!

-Jonny

We've created a monster! 

We've created a monster! ^^^^ :)

Never heard of bucket

Never heard of bucket training I might try it and try to run in different terrain to toughen my feet. Everytime I see some loose gravel I just do my best to avoid it. I tried BF on a trail and a lot of different things would make me go oww so I ended up just walking it. I need to toughen up my feet for different surfaces. Thanks for the advice guys be nice to say I ran a half marathon barefoot. I remember my first race barefoot and how awesome that felt afterwards.

Check out this amazing story

Check out this amazing story on the home page about Todd Ragsdale who set the Guinness World Record for the Longest Barefoot Run at 102.65 miles. He did it with very little barefoot training mileage or barefoot experience at all, and used gravel bucket training to help him condition his feet in a hurry: http://thebarefootrunners.org/threads/102-mile-barefoot-ultra-no-simple-feat.5549/

I find that in the races

I find that in the races where my goal is to have a great time I tend to run faster.

I think the idea of toughening our feet is misleading. My feet keep getting softer the more I run barefoot. It's more like our feet are getting used to not being protected and coddled by shoes. They are learning to be part of the response process again instead of being along for the ride. I think the initial reaction of our feet is simply the bitching and moaning of a small child pushed out of his comfort zone. In time they learn to tell us the truth about what's happening down there and we learn to trust the information and can act appropriately. In my line of work (painting, if you haven't figured it out) I can sand a surface and know it's ready for paint using just my hands. I never have to look at it. My hands do the seeing for me. The give more and better info than my eyes could ever do. My feet are slowly taking on that role for running. They are becoming more sensitive not tougher. Then again I could just be quibbling over symantics.

paintboy wrote:I find that

paintboy said:
I find that in the races where my goal is to have a great time I tend to run faster.

I think the idea of toughening our feet is misleading. My feet keep getting softer the more I run barefoot. It's more like our feet are getting used to not being protected and coddled by shoes. They are learning to be part of the response process again instead of being along for the ride. I think the initial reaction of our feet is simply the bitching and moaning of a small child pushed out of his comfort zone. In time they learn to tell us the truth about what's happening down there and we learn to trust the information and can act appropriately. In my line of work (painting, if you haven't figured it out) I can sand a surface and know it's ready for paint using just my hands. I never have to look at it. My hands do the seeing for me. The give more and better info than my eyes could ever do. My feet are slowly taking on that role for running. They are becoming more sensitive not tougher. Then again I could just be quibbling over symantics.

I don't think you can toughen up the feet without them getting softer. As a painter, I'm sure you are familiar with several of the processes of making metal stronger, like shot peening and cryo treating, both of which serve to tighten up the surface making it both stronger and smoother to the touch. It's my opinion, our feet react the same way. We don't abrade the soles of our feet, but instead, the "put down and pick up" motion pushes the skin together, making it more compact and less thin but softer to the touch. My feet use to appear more porous and were certainly more "sensetive". Now they almost have a glazed sheen on them, like they've been pollished and the skin is thiker, though just as plyable. It reminds me a little of the pocket of a baseball mitt, beat down and smoothed out through repeated impact. I can see and feel the differences. My son and I never wear shoes and both have a leathery thickness, but feel soft. My wife and my daughter wear shoes a lot more often and both have more porous thin skin. (Yes, I do a lot of foot rubbing at my house. It makes the kids fall asleep faster and keeps the wife happy! ;o) )

Where surfaces like rough rain groves, sidewalks covered in fertilizer granules or standard concrete roads use to get my attention and rob most of my focus, they are now what I would consider "friendly" surfaces and some of the feed back I use to get in the beginning seems a little muffled, BUT I think that's just the difference between the sensetivity of new, fresh or raw skin and that which is well used and up to the challenge. I'll give you an example.

One Friday, after speed work, my feet were black from the surface of the middle school rubber track. My wife and I went to get pedicures and the poor lady went through 4 of those white sponges getting the black off my feet and eroded some of my skin. The next day, I ran 8.4miles (my longest run at the time) and I can tell you, the feed back from my feet was MUCH "louder"...like I was new to barefoot running again! I was ok, thanks to my form, but by the end, my feet didn't like me very much and I was very tired from focusing so hard on my feet and form. I spent the rest of the day with my feet up, lotioned and I didn't walk much or want to. Flash forward to a week ago when I ran a 9.3mile long with all skin intact and the only issues with my feet were that the muscles were tired from stomping on acorns for half the run. A tall glass of chocolate milk, a lotion foot rub, a quick nap and a couple hours later, I was up and walking around, my feet totaly refreshed and comfortable with only my tight calves to remind me of the days mileage.

Yeah, I'm 100% sure my feet are BOTH tougher AND softer. Just my $.02.

-Jonny

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon