They kicked me out!

Yes, especially a public

Yes, especially a public restroom at a gas station. I get the ibbie-gibbies just thinking about it.

It happens.  Sometimes I

It happens. Sometimes I wonder if maybe one isn't a full-fledged barefooter until he or she gets kicked out of someplace.

Here's a possible dodge. Carry a pair of old flip-flops, one with a broken strap. If accosted by some Paul Blart, show him be broken one, smile & shrug.

my feet don't get that

my feet don't get that dirty...in fact, they've never really been cleaner ;-). I've thought about the "excuses" I could give, but for me, personally, I'd just rather challenge the concept of social convention and walk out of a place that won't serve me than to "not be an uppidty barefooter" and be a "good boy" and put my shoes on. I'm almost 40 years old, own my own business, it is completely within my right to be anywhere I want to be without shoes. If there were actual "laws" I would (most likely) abide by such laws while the rationality of them was challenged through legal means, but there are no such laws, only a social convention, and one that no one really understands...because it makes no sense what-so-ever. All you have to do to see this is to look at the blank look on someones face when they tell you you have to put shoes on and you say "Why?".....it completely stops their mind, they have NO idea, then after a couple of seconds, they bring out things like "laws" that don't actually exist.

NakedSoleNate wrote: Hey

NakedSoleNate said:
Hey Zum....go to the society for barefoot living's page....there are PDFs for every state ;-)

or you can just follow this link :)

http://www.barefooters.org/health-dept/

Those are great, but I wrote to the Wisconsin Dept of Health & Human Services & got my own, addressed to me.

It's proven quite useful, & quite educational to restaurant & bar managers, debunks the "state law" or "health code" myths.

I'm just too lazy to do it

I'm just too lazy to do it myself...especially since someone else already did LOL!!

Typicaly they start with the

Typicaly they start with the health code, and once a letter is produced they either accept it or attempt to fall back on the insurance/liability canard.

Once that is debunked they tend to either back down or get downright aggresive.

Once they become aggresive, you have to play your cards right.

It's much more fun getting free gift cards as an attempt to make up for your inconvenience than it is to spend a night in jail.

It's even sweeter receiving a check for $1000 (or so I'm told).

I've had the police called on me, but was very careful before and after so still have not found out what it's like to share a cell with a guy playing the harmonica.

Be careful out there! I'm a big believer in barefoot rights, but would not like to see anyone suffer as a result of trying to defend that right.

Freedom is what it's all about, but if hassled make sure YOU end up the winner, NOT the LOSER!

NakedSoleNate wrote: I'm just

NakedSoleNate said:
I'm just too lazy to do it myself...especially since someone else already did LOL!!

There is a good reason to write the letter yourself, and that is to receive a response at the county level.

Every state is different, but in Michigan and many other states the rules of the health department, or more specifically in Michigan's case the department of Agriculture, are written at the state level, but enforced by the counties.

The restaurant and retail store managers are always claiming that the health department inspector will bust them for allowing a barefoot patron in their place of business, and that inspector is usually from the county.

I have written over a dozen specific counties, and their favorable responses always include phone numbers and names if any further questions should arise.

I call them on the spot when being hassled and hand my phone over to the foot hater in question.

Usually I am treated like royalty after that.

The manager never regains the confidence of his or her subordinates, making it all the sweeter revenge.

That is a good reason Board!

That is a good reason Board! I may just have to do that, just for the people at Giant! :)

Nate, just remember:print

Nate, just remember:

Print out what you write, send it to the county health department via snail mail, and you will receive a real letter on real letterhead in response.

It will carry WAY more clout than anything you present that has been printed out from an e-mail.

People tend to be suckers for letters on embossed letterhead, but skeptics from any e-mail printouts.

I think it's great you guys

I think it's great you guys do this. I think my main reason for not is probably just that it's ingrained in me that you wear shoes in public. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Remember Ram, it was

Remember Ram, it was ingrained in me by a podiatrist no less that running was something you are not supposed to do.

There's hope for ALL of us!

BTW, that dude between you

BTW, that dude between you and your daughter in your avitar would NEVER even slip on the flips if even to purchase

a vegan burger & electrolyte smoothie. He'd probably rather starve and dehydrate than conform to such an absurd demand.

He didn't even wear

He didn't even wear flip-flops when he was hanging out with me here in Georgia, now that I think about it. You know how odd that would be to see the Ken Bob with anything on his feet? Geez! Oh wait, there was the one pair of Nike Frees he wore for just a smidgeon back in, I think, 2004. Anybody got a picture of that? I think that picture would absolutely collapse the barefoot running world as we know it. If anyone has that picture, please burn it and burn it good.

I've only gone in stores

I've only gone in stores barefoot a few times. I think the first time was Trader Joes a year or two ago. I'm not sure anyone even looked at my feet. The whole time, I felt like some was going to call me out.

I really admire people who choose full time barefootedness. I'm going to try to keep stretching my comfort level in the years to come.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7