The reason why I stopped running barefoot ..

Most of us do barefooting because it's more fun than shod running and cold conditioning feels kind of bit too much "non-fun".

I think this hits the nail on the head for me in terms of running BF in the extreme cold and heat or running over rough surfaces. Yes, it can be done, but you need to go through an unpleasant period of acclimatisation where running just isn't as fun =(

I think the whole point of conditioning is that it's gradual. The sort of gradual approach that has been suggested upthread is to start with plenty of BF runs in the fall when temperatures and conditions are not extreme -- so that the fun stays in it and the body has a chance to gradually adjust. Worked for me!

Miranda

Well said, Miranda. :)

Reactions: Shawn M Sprague
I'm new to this site and BFR. I'm only up to 3 miles at a time but it feels great!

As for the people that stare or heckle I laugh and enjoy the hell out of it!! Ive had a lot of looks and I just smile and keep going! My wife thinks I'm nuts and is emabarrassed to run with me but I've told her too bad she can run with me BF or she can run alone!

Marko I hope you will keep trying.
In winter I make the best of every warm day or dry road. If it is really cold, I sometimes warm up with minimal shoes then finish barefoot. Road salt is a problem. I sometimes go to the outdoor track, you might have to run thru some snow, but you are close to your car. In the worse case I use my treadmill. People complain about the belt getting hot, but I find that if you run on the left side for one lap and then the right side the heat is not too bad.
I enjoy comments while I am running, most are positive. When someone says something negative like "what are you crazy" I agree with them and laugh it off. ( I think I've had three such comments in two years)
I suggest you do more social runs with friends, or races so that you will get more positive encouragement.

s-exercise.png

I can't say too much about winter running as here in Oregon it doesn't really get too bad. I don't like to not enjoy my runs so if it's too cold I throw on my huaraches, and if needed socks. As far as hecklers, there are two kinds in my world, family, and non-family. Non-family I just ignore. Plain and simple. Sometimes I smile and wish them a nice day. This always throws them off because they can't figure out why I am so damn happy. Now the family hecklers are a little more difficult, but most of my family has accepted me as a weirdo that barefoot running seems to help with my back problems. I think they accept it because they have seen me at my worst (only able to walk with a cane), and now after explaining to them the possible (I only say possible because not everyone experiences the benefits I have) benefits of barefoot running and them seeing how much better I've improved they just kind of give me grief in a joking manner now. Be patient with family and explain what they don't understand. Let your improvement prove to them what you've been saying. They will accept it eventually. It took my wife 7-8 months before she accepted it. She finally realized having her husband able to function like a normal 34 year old was much better than how I had been. Not to say she wants me to walk in stores barefoot, but she supports me being barefoot the rest of the time.

Hi Marco -

I can't speak towards winter running as I live in CA and our "winter" here is when temps dip below 60F (but I did live in PA and NJ for a couple of years, so I know what real winter is like...thus I'm back in CA)

As for the hecklers and other comments from friends and family, I say let your freak flag fly and bask in it. For some years now I've engaged in activivies that others have opined to be stupid or downright crazy - while I do these things for my own benefit, I must admit that now I enjoy watching their reactions. So at the next family or social event: Show up barefoot! (...and if that doesn't work, leave New Jersey :) )

Well, I gotta admit that I did my first winter barefoot run for this winter.. Just for 900 meters at the end of longer run, it was -3°C and there was nice smooth asphalt road and since it was midnight there wasn't any traffic. Nice to feel that my barefoot running form was quite okay and it felt that I run fast pace with less effort than with shoes on. It was bit too cold for longer barefooting, though.

See, Willie? I knew there were barefoot pirates out there. You're not alone. ;)

Thanks everyone for your replies and encouragement.

I did manage to condition myself to run bf (during the warm months) and it took me a while to get there. I know it takes a series of progressive steps to get your feet conditioned, but I've done it before and I can do it again ...

Good point about trail running. In the last few days I was just thinking about that.

I did quite a lot of trail running (barefoot of course) back in the day, which had more than a few hikers stare at me in horror as they would see my fly over rocks and stones and mud ... barefoot. THAT made me feel good.

One of them mumbled a "Oh my GOD! How can you do THAT??"

Trail running is definitely more fun. I like the whole experience of contact with nature better, there's less people around and the few that are there are just too horrified to say anything.

I actually went barefoot hiking this past weekend and (much to my disappointment) I was able to only get 3 miles in before my feet started to complain.

I'll start barefoot hiking again first ... work up to 6-7 miles ... then start speeding up from a normal walk to a fast walk to a jog to a full run ... That's how I did it last time ... and it worked pretty good.

I'll switch to street running once I can do trail running without too much of an issue.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts