The Quitter (race report)

triing

Barefooters
Nov 29, 2011
Attempted to run the Watchung 50K (here in NJ) yesterday in my Vibram 5-finger KSOs. Bad idea. The KSO soles are slick and 3.5 mm thick. Works great on roads and gravel trails. However, these trails were mostly rocks and covered in snow in the morning. But snow turned to ice and ice turned to mud as the race progressed. I was slipping from the beginning but the mud proved to be too much of a challenge for me. I ended up walking half the race just to get past the slick parts. The race was a 5 lap race. When my inner thigh muscles started cramping up from slipping during my 4th lap, I had to throw the towel in. So 40K is all I got after 6 1/2 hours of slippin' and slidin'. Also got real sore feet and a purple pinky toe from stubbing it earlier in the race. Have to find a good pair of minimal trail running shoes with stubby soles for next time. Also saw at least two runners eating baked potatoes. They both laughed at my arugula salad. I should try baked potatoes next time.

Good for you for knowing when to hang it up. I used to be a "go at all costs" person, risking injury just to say that I completed a run; now I pay attention and stop when I need to (the "Discretion is the better part of valour" rule). What's important is that you've already sussed out what changes you're going to make for your next 50K - so while you DNF this run, you're setting yourself up to complete the next one, which is probably more important.

BTW - where in NJ do you live? I used to live in Lawrenceville a few years back...

I'm impressed you put up with that for 40k.
And I agree w/ RP; congrats on getting through the 40, knowing what you need to prepare for differently next time, and being able to quit before you get hurt.

Sounds like a good effort for those conditions. Consider it a success. As for min-shoes in slick mud, I haven't found any I like. I used to run in VFF treks two years ago for sloppy conditions. I've put a few miles on my Altra Superiors, but they are not even close to min-shoes. Sorry for turning it into a shoe thread, but I'm trying to find something for longer distances and rocky trails.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out.

Just a suggestion, but you might look at VFF Spyridons. They have a pretty agressive tread. I think they are far superior to the VFF Treks.

Reactions: NickW
Thanks for the replies. It really sucked bailing out at 40, but with the lateral slide cramps on my left leg I could tell it was going to be a long 10K. I had estimated 7 hours for the whole thing and I was already at 6:30. It would have been challenging getting back before sunset.

I'm considering the VFF Spyridons, although the treads on those don't look knobby enough for the conditions. I think I should strengthen the inner thigh muscles so they don't start cramping up from sliding. And, there's going to be a red potato and chick peas salad with bacon bits in my cooler next time :)

RP, I'm about an hour east of Lawrenceville in Red Bank, NJ

Reactions: Sid
IMHO, I think your dropping out was a great success. although admittedly hard on the ego. From your description, your body was clearly indicating that it was in over its head, rather than your head trying to trick you into an easy chair and a plate of cookies. RP has it right: you know where you went wrong, and that lesson is every bit as valuable as completing an event.

My old college roommate hailed from Red Bank, NJ. Introduced me to someone named Bruce Springsteen, who had then just put out an album (we called them albums back then) called "The Wild, the Innocent...etc." Changed my life, truly.

Attempted to run the Watchung 50K (here in NJ) yesterday in my Vibram 5-finger KSOs. Bad idea. The KSO soles are slick and 3.5 mm thick. Works great on roads and gravel trails. However, these trails were mostly rocks and covered in snow in the morning. But snow turned to ice and ice turned to mud as the race progressed. I was slipping from the beginning but the mud proved to be too much of a challenge for me. I ended up walking half the race just to get past the slick parts. The race was a 5 lap race. When my inner thigh muscles started cramping up from slipping during my 4th lap, I had to throw the towel in. So 40K is all I got after 6 1/2 hours of slippin' and slidin'. Also got real sore feet and a purple pinky toe from stubbing it earlier in the race. Have to find a good pair of minimal trail running shoes with stubby soles for next time. Also saw at least two runners eating baked potatoes. They both laughed at my arugula salad. I should try baked potatoes next time.

Tri, check out Willie's report on some off-road, trail Vivo's here, and go to the bottom to look at the pictures of the shoes. They look really knobby. http://thebarefootrunners.org/threads/settled-for-the-vivo-breatho-trail-update.12811/#post-115835

Reactions: BFwillie_g
I wouldn't have bothered after one lap, lol. You stuck to it for 6 1/2 hours, dayum! That's badass willpower, imo.

Yeah, just get yourself some shoes with some grip and you'll be good to go :)

Reactions: PB Junkie
wow, 40k in any condition would be hard, let alone those - top effort!

ive got both Spyridons and Neo Trail. the Neo Trail tread is alot more aggressive, and the good rock plate... so good for rocky and muddy trails. Spyridons are not quite so good on mud, but great for rocky trails, and i like the fingers too :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts