The BRS Rocky Raccoon Thread.

NotSoDoomedRunner wrote:Had

NotSoDoomedRunner said:
Had a crapton of amazon gift cards so I got some nice camping gear today! Wife wants to go on some camping trips as well. Got a nice 3 room tent for Jim and I. Will work great for the family too. No heater though. Any of you have experience with those tent heaters? Seem a bit much. In the Army, I just got naked in my sleeping bag.
Yeah, a heater seems to be a bit much. Next you'll be wondering what is the best flat screen tv for camping!

Yeah my wife mainly wanted it

Yeah my wife mainly wanted it for family camping. We are tight on cash this year so we are going to do a lot of camping for vacations.

37 days out and my leg isnt

37 days out and my leg isnt feeling any better.... Hopefully it lets up soon...

What kind of weekly mileage

What kind of weekly mileage and long runs are you getting? Your Maffetone success post on your blog made me think things were possibly getting better.

Wait... TJ, are you actually

Wait... TJ, are you actually my now polygamous wife acting like a runner? Are these your multiple husbands that your using to try to ignore me? Are you a polygamous runner acting like my wife? Whats going on here, and how did that picture of Lava in a BRS thong end up as the background on my phone?

Am I having déjà vu?

Am I having déjà vu?

Been reading Relentless

Been reading Relentless Forward Progress and feeling a lot better based on my training. Knee feels a tad tweaked from wearing my Nikes around since I hurt my foot, but it seems better. Gonna wear my MT 110s on my first 30 miler tomorrow. I am actually nervous about a training run! I have never run as slow as I plan to tomorrow, hope I can stay disciplined.

Got a new injury. Seems to be

Got a new injury. Seems to be IBS. When I was running in the MT 110s I got some knee pain on Saturday. Now when I run I have slight knee pain and it locks a tad from time to time. When I switched to trail gloves the pain decreased. When I ran barefoot Monday the pain was there but it did not lock. When I wore my trail gloves yesterday I noticed it locked if I went slightly off form - like if I put any weight in front of my body. So as long as I run with my weight under the center of my mass it seems to just be a slight annoyance. 1 month!!!!

NotSoDoomedRunner wrote:Got

NotSoDoomedRunner said:
Got a new injury. Seems to be IBS. When I was running in the MT 110s I got some knee pain on Saturday. Now when I run I have slight knee pain and it locks a tad from time to time. When I switched to trail gloves the pain decreased. When I ran barefoot Monday the pain was there but it did not lock. When I wore my trail gloves yesterday I noticed it locked if I went slightly off form - like if I put any weight in front of my body. So as long as I run with my weight under the center of my mass it seems to just be a slight annoyance. 1 month!!!!
Shut everything down for a week or 10 days! You can't work through ITBS and it will only get worse. I know that sounds extreme but you won't really lose any conditioning during that period and may still be able to run RR.
Based on when I had ITBS, it will gradually get worse over the next couple of weeks until it shuts you down. Ice, stretch, and rest for the next week and then slowly work back or even go straight into your taper.

bubba hotep

bubba hotep said:
NotSoDoomedRunner said:
Shut everything down for a week or 10 days! You can't work through ITBS and it will only get worse. I know that sounds extreme but you won't really lose any conditioning during that period and may still be able to run RR. Based on when I had ITBS, it will gradually get worse over the next couple of weeks until it shuts you down. Ice, stretch, and rest for the next week and then slowly work back or even go straight into your taper.

Agreed. Shut it down and heal. Distance fitness takes forever to loe, you'll be fine. Being healthy at the start is far more important than maintaining a regular running schedule thi cloe to the race.

I had a decent week of

I had a decent week of running but got kind of derailed by the New Years weekend. I ended up with 50 miles (was thinking 60 would be a good week) but didn't run on Saturday. I'll be looking for 80 - 100 miles this week and then 100+ miles in the next week and then taper.

My ankle is basically back to 100% and I don't really feel like I lost that much by not really running much post CC. I'll feel really good going into RR if I can hit 30/20 these next two weekends.

I would not mind shutting it

I would not mind shutting it down if I had not had the foot issue. I'll lower the miles some and see how I feel at the end of the week. That would give me 10 days if I needed it. I think with the foot issue already decreasing my mileage last month 10 days off could be a pretty big blow to RR. Are there different levels of severity? It seems fine as long as I'm not extending or running off form? I'm thinking it may be a minor version or maybe something else? I keep reading ITBS is too painful to run through, but this does not seem THAT bad. The locking is what makes me think it may be it.

BTW- Bubba, I know you are

BTW- Bubba, I know you are another beer guy. You have done RR, right? I was reading that you can't have open alcohol containers in the park. Is this really enforced? I plan on having couple beers outside the tent the night after the run.

Man, I'm really excited. I'm really excited about all of our new camping gear too. We are planning on a ton of family camping trips this spring and summer.

Dave, if it makes you feel

Dave, if it makes you feel any better, I've ran a total of 55 miles in the last month and a half..

Chaser are you staying at the

Chaser are you staying at the camp site Saturday night or leaving?

BTW: Alcohol Rules:

Texas Parks and Wildlife Code Sec. 13.101-13.112

59.134 Rules of Conduct:

(b) Alcoholic beverages. It is an offense for any person to:
[*]consume or display an alcoholic beverage in a public place; or[*]sell alcoholic beverages within a state park.

So is my private camp site a public place or private sense I paid to rent it? I can't imagine they enforce this. I just want 1 or two good beers after I finish to celebrate and taunt Jason with as he continues on.

Ill take some chocolate milk

Ill take some chocolate milk and water after I'm done please. I'll taunt Jason from my blow up mattress that I will have pulled up next to the course while I eat Oreos.... Mmmmm.... Oreos...

Taunting Jason = Having Jason

Taunting Jason = Having Jason sit down and drink all your beer. I'm a guzzler and won't lose much time... I train for this sh#% stuff (sorry TJ.) Just a fair warning.
wink_smile.gif

Excellent! My Oreos are

Excellent! My Oreos are safe!

Jason, do you have any words of advice our wisdom you could share with us ultra newbs? Having never ran an ultra, or even a race over 13.1 miles, I'm not sure what to expect. Do I need to carry toilet paper with me? What if theres inclement weather? Should I play dead if a black bear trys to east me? Do we get crack at the end? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Chaserwilliams

Chaserwilliams said:
Excellent! My Oreos are safe! Jason, do you have any words of advice our wisdom you could share with us ultra newbs? Having never ran an ultra, or even a race over 13.1 miles, I'm not sure what to expect. Do I need to carry toilet paper with me? What if theres inclement weather? Should I play dead if a black bear trys to east me? Do we get crack at the end? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • Toilet paper depends on local flora. If wide leaf plants are present, no TP needed.
  • In inclement weather, run faster.
  • Bears = run away, big cats = yell at them and wave your hands (cougars are the exception... just avoid them. Don't worry, you'll smell the perfume a mile away.)
  • Crack... depends on the kinkiness of your wife/significant other. Ultra decorum dictates a DNF deserves consiliatory sexual activty using the following guidelines:
  • DNF in first 25% of race = regular sex,
  • 50% = WE'LL LET YOU ALL USE YOUR IMAGINATIONS TO COMPLETE JASON'S THOUGHT. THIS IS A FAMILY SHOW AFTER AL!
  • 75% = Role playing/costumes of some sort,
  • 90% = WE'LL LET YOU ALL USE YOUR IMAGINATIONS TO COMPLETE JASON'S THOUGHT. THIS IS A FAMILY SHOW AFTER AL!
BTW- you're going to be at Bandera, right?

Whens bandera?

Whens bandera?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldManHemingway