Team BF BF in Michigan

Hi team bare foot! I am so glad to find a group of fun and knowledgable people like you! Yep brown nosing already! Or is it brown toeing?

Short story... I go for anything that is supposed to be pain free- having my fair share of that in the past. Broken back while prego with the little guy- etc... I find that I have no back pain with this barefoot fun and that feel I might as well start healing from the ground up. Sciatica be gone from me! I have been BF all summer which meant transitioning from very "supportive" shoes. I woke up and got in those buggers -I was never BF. But that is all behind me now.

Having read all the chicken soup for the souls (AKA BF books) this summer I have been caught up in the wonderment of feeling stuff with my toes. Walking all over and now running too. It's contagious, my son is my BF BF! Barefoot Best Friends. He just ran 1.5 with me today after making fab "Go team barefoot" signs.

Can't wait to be a part of the fab and wacky. - You know you are.
Here are the go team barefoot signs:
image.jpg image.jpg

Welcome! Be sure to join the Michigan Chapter as well Susan.

Broke your back during preganancy?! Yikes! Welcome! Good art. :artist:

Thanks for all of the welcomes! We are having a great time walking, hiking and running BF. I keep seeing those VFF's on the trail and think "its still warm in Michigan - go BF people!"

Some concerns I have:
Bottom of Heel Pain (it semi circles the back of heel and only in the pad - not the bone) Is it pad building? I've been exclusively BF 4 months.

Evenness - because of my back issues I do not seem to be even in my feet placement - (Each foot seems to be landing differently)
History -When I was dealing with Sciatica before- (from Ruptured L5-S1 and broken back + surgery) I had such nerve pain in my right leg I just had to try to walk straight in order to not injure myself further - I found just remembering how to walk would do the trick and I would try to ignore the cement block feeling my foot was giving me.

So now that I have been BF walking and starting to run I have sufficiently stretched my Achilles and calf so that I think I have lengthened the nerve sheathe too. I have a lot less tingly nerve pain in the foot. But I seem uneven.

Surprisingly to me the right foot with all of the issues seems to handle bare-footing better. The foot looks different- it is wider, the toes are more spread out - I can flex and spread the foot more. So why is my left foot not following suit? Maybe because I am not thinking about it as much? Any ideas on how to move on would be helpful.

Waking up with Stiff feet, achilles + calves- They wake up in 20 minutes and its not that bad but it really slows my walk down - which I listen to. I used to have what I believe was PF but this is not that - it is not under my foot.

My son is faster then me - he (7yo) runs like it is a game with achievements and has given himself a new rule to stay behind my body line - that helps. Its just a slight ego crush. But I am used to those by now. The mature lady I am!

My son is dreading the idea of having to wear sneakers for gym! We have tried lots of min shoes for him - he loves his Soft Star Ramblers and says he won't wear anything else - except he knows they won't be accepted by the gym teacher. Anyone tried min shoes for gym class? SoftStar RunAmocs reviews for kids? Lots of the Min sneaks are rubbing and he can't get his feet in VFFs.

Sorry this is long - maybe should be posted separately - Teach me oh sages!
Any ideas on how to make me feel better would be great. I want to keep it up and not get BRES or TMTS.

What part of Michigan are you in?

Ok,plenty of local experts there. Again, hope to see you in the Michigan chapter.

Nice to have you aboard Susan!

Ok,plenty of local experts there. Again, hope to see you in the Michigan chapter.

Hey Longboard - I know Jason Robillard used to teach at my son's school but is not here anymore - Are there any other experts you know that I can connect with in GR? Are there any events or gatherings coming up in Michigan? I would love to shake feet.

Nothing planned right now. I always think of Grand Rapids as being a hotbed of barefoot running activity since that's where the largest gathering of barefoot runners in U.S.history was held back in May 2010 during the Fifth Third River Run when Jason organized the get together. Also the Merrill Naked Foot series stopped in GR thanks to Jason. Michigan has a lot of BRS members, it's just hard to get everybody together. Did you see the IBRD MI chapter thread(s)?
Here's a few:
http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/threads/and-some-of-the-mi-guys-gals-from-today.13906/
http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/threads/exellent-press-for-ibrd-13.13997/
http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/threads/michigan-ibrd-13.13905/
http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/threads/14-race-promoting-us-already.14015/

Thanks Longboard! It was great to see all the pics of the bare feets in the IBRD threads.. It was great to see kids too.

Jason and I must have crossed paths in the universe - he used to teach at my son's school - that's what the neighbor lady told us the other day when she saw us running.

Merrell is here in GR so the BF technology is right out my back door.
We went today to get Dylan his socially acceptable min gym shoes - Merrell Barefoots. He will make a review.

The River Bank Run is always on the Graduation day- All us profs wear our Harry Potter Gowns and the Runners are fainting on the sidewalk during our procession on the other side of the street. So not a good run for me to do.

Looking for other runs that Michigan people will be participating in this fall.

Welcome! I forget to come by the New Member Intro page often enough.

My kids aren't into the BF thing at all, but they do go to gym. I can't believe that your local Physical Educational Professionals would look twice at any kid's foot attire, as long as it covered the toes. The things they chose to worry about....

Reactions: happysongbird
My son will be 11 in a few days, and he is wearing Vibram FiveFingers to school now and loves them. So far, none of the faculty have said anything to him about it. I was sure there would be a fight with his PE teacher but no. sigh. When he walks in these his gait looks so much smoother than when he walks in his other shoes. He's graceful and quick, even when walking. Last year, I bought him a pair too, but he wouldn't wear them. Now that he's a big fifth grader he has the "courage" to wear them and not care what others think.

Reactions: Longboard
Hi, Susan. the closest I have come to your issues is sciatic nerve pain and temporary loss of leg function for just one afternoon with one pregnancy. Laying down and letting baby shft was all I needed to do! fortunately! I did also have surgery for a ruptured disc in my neck, so at least know what that feels like or my arm. But as far as far as getting used to being barefoot, I am finding that I am still adjusting after about 3 years of doing it. It has been fun along the way, but I am kind of surprised that I'm still having physical changes from the habitI I shouldn't be, since I spent so many years in shoes, but initially I wasn't aware of all the little changes that would keep happening. So all that to say, as you work out your individual issues, be patient with the long term results!

My 2nd grader is at his second day at school wearing Softstar ramblers. He loves them and won't wear anything else- except bare.
We got him some Merrell Barefoot Flux Glove - O drop Sneakers for Gym. I chose to put the elastic laces on last minute as I was not sure that the new tying would get in the way. We have not worn shoes enough for the daily practice needed for shoe tying ;0) I have tried to get him 5 fingers but he can't get those on yet. TJ - alot of kids think that VFFs are cool. I was in the store this summer and the kids were googling over the "toe shoes" they were begging for them- it was the dad that said no they look silly I will never get you those.

My coworkers this week asked about my barefooting - they had noticed my Pategonia Advocate Lattices and felt they were very out of step for me - At least the old me. The conversation started and they were very excited about the healing it has given my back, sciatica and foot. I am so happy about it too, so probably my happiness is contagious.

And to Laura - ouch on your neck! I feel grown up now enough to know to be patient and wait for the good stuff. I already see so many positives with my posture, mood, back pain etc. Just curious how I will handle the winter this way and so looking for support and encouragement when it gets tough - that's what I saw in this forum and why I wanted to join you great peeps.

Reactions: happysongbird

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7