Sudden running time increase

pitbullmamaliz

Barefooters
May 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
So I'm doing the Couch to 5K program, which is awesome. I amaze myself every time I go out to run and keep learning that my body is capable of stuff I never thought would be possible (run for 5 minutes straight??? Unfathomable a few weeks ago but I'm doing it!).

However, next week has me terrified. The first two days alternate 5 minute and 8 minute runs. Scary to think of running 8 minutes as I'm still struggling with 5, but I've proven to myself that I can handle increases. But then the third day is a 20 minute straight run!!! :confused: How are they expecting people to go from 8 minutes to 20 minutes? Obviously people do it as tons of people have successfully completed the program, but all the other increases have been gradual - 60 seconds to 90 seconds, 90 seconds to 3 minutes, 3 minutes to 5, 5 to 8, etc. But 8 to 20??? That's just crazy talk. I'll try it, but I don't seriously see myself being able to do it the first time. Or the 2nd. Hell, I can't envision myself ever doing it, to be honest.

I'm sure that a lot of it is psychological and I just need to man up and do it. Any experiences that could be shared with quickly bumping up running time that will help me feel better about this? :)

I think Patrick has been approaching the whole thing very sensibly as he has repeated several days/weeks until he felt comfortable progressing to the next level. I can see no harm in doing that if it makes you feel more comfortable.

I'm sure you'll get there - but take the time you feel you need. Keep the enjoyment and don't let the programme intimidate you.

You might also want to step out a bit and see what it feels like - you might be pleasantly surprised at your body's abilities!

Any experiences that could be shared with quickly bumping up running time that will help me feel better about this? :)

I had a great experience with the C25k program...and I went from never running to starting at week 5. I wouldn't recommend that, but it ended up working for me. I think it's okay to make reasonable jumps in your running time so long as you're listening to your body. If your legs burn or ache, or if your breathing super heavy don't take that as a sign to give up. You'll be surprised with the increases of how long you can end up running for, I know right now it sounds like a lot but you'd be surprised at what you are capable of. Just keep at it and don't get discouraged by the time increases...good luck! :)

I have repeated a few days here and there, though it was probably my brain holding me back more than my body. I'll definitely give it a try, but it's a scary big number, LOL. I may be on week 5 for a few weeks (week 5A, week 5B, week 5C...*grin*).

Reactions: NickW
Yup, that's the ticket.

Take it at your own pace, not at the program's necessarily. Everyone starts from their own place and must accomodate their own body's requirements. The trick is to know when you're body is trying to wimp out, versus when it's just saying a"a little gentler, please!"

I think that if you are out there giving it your honest best, no matter how far or fast that may be, you are on track. If you are still on the couch waiting for your body to get faster, you're not doing so well. Prayer and hope do not replace effort!

My sense of these things is that we're truly in this as a life changing effort, and will be running for years and years, without injury, we hope! A little shifting of any "program" looks insignificant when viewed from the grander perspective.

You ask the best questions!

That was a big thing for me to over come in all honesty. I felt like I shouldn't be breathing so heavy and it must be a sign that I'm pushing myself too hard, and that was definitely not the case. I find that for the first mile I suck wind, but then when I got into a rhythm I could start to control my breathing and now I'm at the point in just a few weeks were I can hold conversations while running. You really will be amazed at what your body can do and what it's capable of.

You ask the best questions!

LOL, thanks!

The trick is to know when you're body is trying to wimp out, versus when it's just saying a"a little gentler, please!"

This is so true. I feel my calves start to get tired, and part of me says, "oh no! TMTS! I better walk!" and then my brain says, "suck it up buttercup, you're out of shape and tired. It's okay to be tired."

Just go slow and take walking breaks if you need them. It's better to be out there and have to walk the whole time than to stay on the couch because you didn't think you could do it.

And congrats on starting and sticking with the program. I can honestly say that for me, going from the couch to 3 miles was harder than going from 3 miles to a marathon.

Reactions: pitbullmamaliz
I've done the C25K program three times, the first two times I was shod and followed it to get back into running after long periods of inactivity. I remember that specific sudden increase you mention since it is really intimidating, but found both times that the jump was very achievable.

However, I think the C25k barefoot does need to be followed with caution. The third time I used it was to get into barefoot running, after some time of doing shod runs of 8K+, and noticed I needed to repeat days or whole weeks until I felt I was ready for the next one. Specially that jump from 8 to 20 consecutive mins. can be tough on your soles if you're not ready for it. My suggestion is, as others have already said, to give it a shot and be very attentive to your body; on any sign of discomfort don't feel bad and insert periods of walking until you complete those 20 mins.

If you've gotten this far I think you can handle it, so good luck!

Before you do that 20 minute run, do a 10 minute brisk walk. I did Couch25K and this is a lesson I learned. Going out "full speed" gets you breathing too hard and your heart rate too high, too fast. 10 minutes of walking will not make you more tired, but it will get you warmed up, and make the 20 minutes of running much more do-able.

I'm doing E25K, which is a little different (schedule in the link in my sig), but it has a similar 20 minute jump at Week 6 Day 2, which is where I'm at right now.

I've been doing E25K since January. So when I say slow I mean it's REALLY slow. But it hasn't just been a BF transition for me (I was walking and living barefoot since May of last year already), it was actually my first time ever to do any type of running workouts. I've never been a runner before, and I could barely run 45 seconds when I started.

I've had to repeat several weeks, sometimes spending as much as 5 weeks on a single week of the program. But once I get it, I move on to the next one. I believe Week 5 is where it starts to increase each day instead of each week. I also had to repeat a few of those days. I never did fully complete Week 5 Day 1. I went on to Day 2 for a few days, and then I actually completed Week 5 Day 3 and Week 6 Day 1 on my first try. As soon as I fully complete the workout I move on to the next one.

So here I am on Week 6 Day 2 - run 20 minutes. It's weird because Day 3 goes back to running with a couple of walking intervals. Last Monday I ran my first full nonstop mile since the 9th grade nearly 20 years ago. But that took about 13 minutes and I still stopped short of the full 20 minutes. I tried this past Monday and barely ran 10 minutes total, probably due to the 100° heat, and haven't run again since this week.

So yeah I'll just keep pecking away at it until I can run the full 20 minutes, and then move on to the next one. So far my longest continuous run has been 13 to 14 minutes, compared to when I first started as I described above.

Before you do that 20 minute run, do a 10 minute brisk walk. I did Couch25K and this is a lesson I learned. Going out "full speed" gets you breathing too hard and your heart rate too high, too fast. 10 minutes of walking will not make you more tired, but it will get you warmed up, and make the 20 minutes of running much more do-able.

The E25K app I use on my iPhone includes a 5 minute warmup, which I usually extend out a bit to 7-8 minutes so that I avoid a big hill right when I start running, which would also tire me out early. Of course running 20 minutes I have to go on that hill on my 2nd lap around, which is one reason why I haven't been able to go the whole 20 minutes yet.

Also, keep in mind that the program is a guideline. The point is to get you in the habit of getting out there and making progress and wanting to run. If you start dreading it or feelign overwhelmed, you may find excuses to shelve it.
Maybe so that you don't get all worked up about that big jump, plan on evaluating yourself after 10 minutes and say to yourself that you will walk after that much unless you want to keep going. That might take the pressure off. But if you feel good, check in with yourself at 12 minutes, at 14, etc.
That way you can back out (psychologically) while still making progress, so something to feel proud about.

Scedastic, that evaluation mid-run sounds like a good idea. It'll give me an "out," though I certainly will be reluctant to use it. But I'm prepared to repeat this week a few times if necessary. I'm really enjoying my running and definitely don't want to get burnt out or frustrated.

I would also suggest treating this 20 minute run as a "mini-long run", so try to do it at the slowest pace possible that you would still consider "running", it will make things much more achieveable IMHO.

It is physically impossible for me to run any slower than I already am - I can't even catch up to walkers. So no worries about me taking my time, LOL. But thank you!

Reactions: scedastic

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon