Stop Stretching! By Dr. Stephen Gangemi, a.k.a., The Sock Doc

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
Very interesting.  I wonder

Very interesting. I wonder if stretching is the real reason it has taken me about 7 weeks to heal from my calf injury. Great read!

Absolutely, I have always

Absolutely, I have always wondered why people stretched before running and other activities. Your stretching cold muscles, etc. This makes no sense. To me that is a prime opportunity to hurt yourself. I always do some slow short runs instead of any type of stretching to warm the muscles ups prior to going full out for a race, etc.

Precisely, Bob, and then add

Precisely, Bob, and then add to that stretching the muscles and tissues when there is an injury present. All we are doing is pulling the tissue apart instead of allowing them to connect and heal. I really believe that I made my PF worse by doing all the stretches as was recommended and using my Step Stretch and my Night Splints. I was in so much pain after wearing them and stretching, it was insane. I still have remnant issues with my PF in both feet because of that time.

This is interesting. I've

This is interesting. I've never even considered stretching as anything other than necessary. The article doesnt seem to go into much detail and what to do pre race or pre workout as an alternative? And if post race/workout if stretching is beneficial or not?

I had PF earlier this year - one reason I stumbled upon bare foot running, looking for answers - and the doc said my achillies tendon was way to tight and over stressing my PF (although it did tighten up a lot AFTER my heels started getting sore, so not sure how tight it was before). He perscribed multiple daily calf stretches and it seemed to clear up quickly after I started doing that. After my experience with PF I am actually a bit scared to stop stretching - but I am willing to try, just want to know what to do instead.

Dr. G. should be by soon to

Dr. G. should be by soon to follow up for you, Tristan.

Hi Tristan - pre race the

Hi Tristan - pre race the warm-up should be aerobic activity, for at least 10 minutes (mentioned briefly towards the end of the article), and the same goes for the cool-down. I still don't recommend stretching before or after (or during, haha), training or racing, other than general functional range-of-motion activity.

Yes, some people with PF even use those crazy looking night splints that stretch your calves, and I'm sure it has helped some. My thought is that it's probably breaking up some fiber adhesions and that's the only benefit. I have seen patients tell me more than once that stretching their injury "fixed" it, but when I examine the area that was injured and they say is fixed, I often see muscle weakness and other joint problems.

Thank you Dr. G.And this is

Thank you Dr. G.

And this is open to anyone, what all aerobic excersizes do folks do? Things like jumping jacks, situps, and pushups? This is probably a silly question but I am drawing a blank other than those three, and really only the jumping jacks are much for the legs. I thought it was odd that the book I am reading on BF running didnt mention stretching, but this concept of not stretching must be more common than I thought. I'm reading Jason Robillard's barefoot running book, and he suggests deep breathing and tensing and relaxing muscles, I think he called it progressive relaxation if memory serves. Does anyone recommend that? To be honest I havent even tried it, just seemed to tedious and I already had a stretching routine down, but now I am willing to try other things. I do try to do a warmup jog, usually 1/2 mi before stretching, I did always believe it was bad to stretch cold muscles, just didnt know it was bad period lol. But my problem now is I am still in the early stages of running barefoot and I usually only run 1/2mi or so... so its barely a warmup itself. I do walk before and after though, probably 1/4-1/2 mi walk.

By aerobic I mean runnig

By aerobic I mean runnig aerobically (or walking or jogging). Situps and pushups > definitley not aerobic. Here's a good post to read to better understand the idea behind what aerobic (and anaerobic) really is:

http://sock-doc.com/2011/03/aerobic-or-anaerobic/

You can walk briskly before

You can walk briskly before you start to run. Anything that puts your body in an areobic state is good for a warm up, jumping jacks, running in place, moving quickly from side-to-side, stuff like that. At the gym (I used to go to, no time now), the instructor would have us do aerobic-type movements, instead of stretching. Some would have us stretch. It seems like there's two schools of thought on this, and you have to find out what works for you and what could potentially hurt you down the road. If one thing is not working for you, question it. Try something else. That's what I've been doing.

Could we perhaps get an

Could we perhaps get an article on the contrary position TJ? With all due respect to the Sock Doc, this isn't really a settled debate in the sports medicine community. But I appreciate his position on the issue and his article is well written.

Do you have one you would

Do you have one you would like to present?

saypay45 are you looking for

saypay45 are you looking for an article which shows the benefits of stretching? - increased performance, reduced injury rates, etc... would love to see them. No disrespect taken, but I haven't seen one and nobody has presented me with solid evidence that stretching does any of these things - perhaps with slight exception to athletes mentioned in my article. If you have something please share.

What confuses me, and I think

What confuses me, and I think maybe most people, I am a big football nut and every game you see the players stretching like crazy before the game starts. If stretching is bad, why do so many professional athletes stretch? I myself have finally healed my calf now that I no longer stretch at all. I feel considerably better I've found when I don't stretch. We barefooters can't be unique cases where stretching does harm? Can we? Why are we the smart ones? Or is it just that we are more openminded and willing to go against the norm?

NickW, even worse are

NickW, even worse are baseball players. Their trainers still like to twist the players in any and every position possible - they try to get their leg up as far as they can to their head and their arms extended back almost to the point of lifting the player off the ground. It nuts. Why do so many professional, and ALL athletes stretch? It's the way they've been brought up and coached by those who know no differently. Just like when everybody thought eating eggs raised cholesterol levels - never proven but nobody questioned it and it seemed to make sense. Now everybody knows the egg-cholesterol link is a big lie/myth. Stretching is next - its days are numbered.

Thanks Doctor.  Here's my

Thanks Doctor. Here's my question. All the studies usually cited to say stretching is bad deal with using stretches as warm-ups. Are there any studies showing whether stretching is detrimental as a cool-down? Or whether doing something like yoga as a cooldown is detrimental as well?

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know if there are

I don't know if there are studies for the stretching/cool-down. It would still depend on how one is stretching, as well if it is yoga, or "stretching-yoga" as I say in the post. I look at it more as the fact that traditional stretching is not going to provide any benefit post-workout, so why bother. The best cool-down, like the warm-up, is aerobic exercise, perhaps with some light range of motion movements sprinkled in. If you need to stretch after because you have "tight" muscles, well you did something wrong.

I only stretched when I ran

I only stretched when I ran in highschool and that was because the team did it and the coach made us do it. I don't stretch at all now before or after my runs. I also don't do cool down or warm up runs, however, I also don't start off in a sprint. My warm up is the first 1-2km of my run with a gradual increasing to a steady pace. And my cool down is usually the last 0.5-1km at a slightly slower pace.

spoonerweb wrote:I only

spoonerweb said:
I only stretched when I ran in highschool and that was because the team did it and the coach made us do it. I don't stretch at all now before or after my runs. I also don't do cool down or warm up runs, however, I also don't start off in a sprint. My warm up is the first 1-2km of my run with a gradual increasing to a steady pace. And my cool down is usually the last 0.5-1km at a slightly slower pace.

This is exactly what I do as well.

Dr. Gangemi_SockDoc wrote:I

Dr. Gangemi_SockDoc said:
I don't know if there are studies for the stretching/cool-down. It would still depend on how one is stretching, as well if it is yoga, or "stretching-yoga" as I say in the post. I look at it more as the fact that traditional stretching is not going to provide any benefit post-workout, so why bother.

At the risk of being slightly inapproriate here, I must point out that boyfriends and husbands of many a practitioner of "stretching-yoga" would probably be able to point out a benefit or two. ;-)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon