Still want to heel strike.

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
After 3 years of running barefoot my feet still want to heel strike, which is it's first instinct. I actually find myself heel striking at times while running barefoot, doesn't bother me, but I know it's not right. I still have to consciously get myself going with a forefoot strike then I am good to go for awhile.

But given the ratio of me running for 20 years in shoes, as a heel striker, opposed to only 3 years running barefoot, I still have a lot of conditioning to do to correct my form, and hopefully adapt of "natural" forefoot strike without thinking about it. It's a never ending journey!

Reactions: Sid and Bare Lee
i believe i have some weak glutes that turn my left foot making me swing out and forward. it gives me many knots up my left leg. it doesn't feel good but it's not enough to stop me from running. i just won't go far until i can figure this out and like you once i notice it i try to change it.

Thanks for posting this. It's a reminder to the rest of us that the 'transition' is not a single event. Replacing well ingrained muscle memory is not instantaneous and the learned behavior will always be there, lurking.

see the guy in the picture in white next to me thats my husband he is a heel striker also, bend those knees. now that he is concentrating on bending his knees he went from a 24 to a 22 5k time no more heel strike. but he has to concentrate all the time on it. good luck we all have things that need inprovement.

After 3 years of running barefoot my feet still want to heel strike, which is it's first instinct. I actually find myself heel striking at times while running barefoot, doesn't bother me, but I know it's not right. I still have to consciously get myself going with a forefoot strike then I am good to go for awhile.

But given the ratio of me running for 20 years in shoes, as a heel striker, opposed to only 3 years running barefoot, I still have a lot of conditioning to do to correct my form, and hopefully adapt of "natural" forefoot strike without thinking about it. It's a never ending journey!
I guess I'm lucky I haven't run for 20 years in shoes! Makes me feel less inexperienced as a runner to think of it that way. Thanks ;) .

Butt seriously, although I don't have a problem with heel striking, I do know my left foot lands slightly more 'midfoot' than my right, and my left side has been plagued with runner's problems for the last several months. Up until August running was kind of effortless, and I was making steady progress, then all of a sudden all h&ll starts breaking loose. So I'm trying to pay attention to my form more, and see if I can tweak it a bit. I hate thinking about my form while I'm running, but I also hate not running, laid up with injury, so it's worth it.

The buttocks play a major roll in running. When I engage or use my glutes, it helps with my forward motion of my legs and takes the stress off my hamstrings, in which fights fatigue during running long.

To your second point, I think I'm also learning the lesson of taking my supplementary exercises more seriously. I even started doing leg extensions and curls again, and Abide has convinced me to work squats back into my strength-training routine. I had always thought that when I run I didn't need to do any strength training for my legs, but it seems like it's just the opposite--you have to do more! I'm also becoming more serious about my mobility exercises, stretching, and rolling/massaging. It's kind of a drag to have to take all this stuff so seriously, but I seriously love running, so it's worth it.

Reactions: Abide
I think if you come from a heal striking background then your muscles and bone structure have developed to accommodate that style of running and it's going to take a while for things to reset, you just might have some restricted movement in areas.
For me I had to go through calf hell to transition to a forefoot strike but now I have it seems unnatural to heal strike.

I'm not sure if I used to heel strike when I ran prior to my back surgeries, but I rarely had any problems back then. After my back surgeries I know I did a little when on the treadmill, but was almost flat footed with just a very slight heel strike. It was very natural and easy for me to switch to a midfoot strike (had very minimal pain in the calves when I transitioned to barefoot) and I really have to watch myself as I often go to far into a forefoot strike, which then my foot yells at me immediately and calls me an idiot. Even now that I sometimes wear shoes when I run it still feels very natural and familiar to run with a midfoot to slight forefoot strike. It feels very awkward to run with a heel strike unless going downhill, and even then it's very minor if at all.

It may just depend on the situation, although maybe running around in the basketball shoes heel striking is keeping you from fully switching your foot strike. Either way, do what makes you happy and feels right. There's been a few little discussions lately that heel striking may not be as bad as we think, depending on the circumstances and if done under the cog.

Being minshod last week, I'd sometimes catch myself with a midfoot strike. I didn't think too much of it and figured it was the shoes. At 3mm, they weren't thick enough to make me heelstrike though. I didn't run all that much before, and the jogging I did back in college was mostly on trails in regular shoes.

Personally I don't feel heel striking is all that bad. I never got injured being a heel striker, or running in shoes. I still play basketball and totally heel strike on the court wearing basketball sneakers. Who knows....
Yah, there is a school of thought that says where you land (under or just slightly ahead of your COM) is far more important than how you land.

It may also be worth noting that there's really no such thing as a mid-foot strike: http://gobarefooting.com/Barefoot_News.html
Mid-foot of course is where our arches are. I think we mean flat-footed, right?

It's interesting, but the only time I notice myself heel-striking are the rare occasions I run on grass, cutting across a field or something.

Reactions: Sid
It may also be worth noting that there's really no such thing as a mid-foot strike: http://gobarefooting.com/Barefoot_News.html
Mid-foot of course is where our arches are. I think we mean flat-footed, right?
Aye, I stand corrected! I caught myself forefootheel striking, or whatever I was doing... Anyway, I was running and felt fine, so I didn't really try to correct it.

That link isn't resolving to any articles for me. "Not Found"

Aye, I stand corrected! I caught myself forefootheel striking, or whatever I was doing... Anyway, I was running and felt fine, so I didn't really try to correct it.
I wasn't correcting you personally--I also use that term. But maybe we should switch to flat-foot strike or something . . .
That link isn't resolving to any articles for me. "Not Found"
OK, I see that, hmmn. Maybe just click on home, and then scroll down to the fourth article "The Mythical Mid-foot Strike":

"I recently detailed my impressions and recommendations for the “general” foot strike options runners have. I purposely left off this newly created mid-foot strike. I left it off because it doesn’t really exist. You’ll see it listed all over the place in recommendations as the best way to run, but that’s gonna be difficult to do because you just can’t do it. You might be wondering why it’s become such a popular recommendation when it’s not real, and that’s a fair question. The problem is that it’s a misinterpretation of foot motion and structure. I’ll explain.

The foot has a specific shape to it that nearly every foot on the planet has. There are toes at the front, a system of muscles and connective tissue commonly called the arch, and the heel. When the foot is placed flat on the ground the ball of the foot and toes are touching down. The heel is touching the ground as well. This next part is tricky, but the mid-foot or arch usually isn’t. Yes some of you have flat feet so your arch has collapsed or is just flatter than other people’s, and that is ok. My point still works.

Given the general idea that the entire foot isn’t always in contact with the ground, I’ll explain why. When you flex your bicep, the elbow bends, bringing the wrist towards the shoulder which causes the biceps muscles to contract and bulge outward. A similar action happens in the foot. When you bring the toes back/under toward the heel and the arch contracts, raising it up toward the top of the foot. That means the arch moves away from the ground. When the toes are released, the arch stretches, gaining tension that keeps it from dropping down. At best it is usually flat, but never does the arch stick out or down towards the ground. That simple point of anatomy is why the mid-foot landing doesn’t exist.

The arch and the mid-foot are the same thing. Since the arch doesn’t stick out or point down toward the ground it cannot make ground contact first. The toes, ball of the foot, and heel can all strike or make contact on their own and then transfer weight and contact to other areas of the foot, but the mid-foot cannot perform this action.

You might say that this is possible in shoes, and I will disagree for the following reason. The average running shoe has what we call a heel to toe transition. This means that when the bottom of the shoe is flat on the ground the heel is elevated and the ball of the foot is pointed downward. That means when you put the shoe down flat on the ground the ball of the foot is accepting body weight first so the mid-foot is not landing first. In a minimal or zero-drop shoe you can put the shoe down flat and the foot flat inside it, so does that create a mid-foot landing? Nope. The heel and ball of the foot will make contact before the mid-foot can contract and release to a point where it would touch the ground.

So what are people trying to say when they say to land on your mid-foot? That’s a good question, and the general idea is that they are recommending you either land on the forefoot or at least shoot for a flat foot landing. Both of these will put you in a position where your foot is landing under a bent knee that is either under or closer to the body’s center of mass. This form has been deemed the safest and most likely to be done without injury, and that is why they are recommending it. It’s not a bad recommendation, and in fact I endorse it. The problem is that if you go out to run thinking you’re gonna land on your mid-foot you are essentially on a fool’s errand, and it can cause problems if you keep forcing your foot to try and make ground contact in a weird and unnatural way.

I’ll end by saying there is one exception to my rule and that is the Skechers Go Run. This shoe allows a runner to make a mid-foot landing because they have fabricated the sole in a way that allows the mid-foot to make first contact. The rocker shape of the sole gives the arch area the ability to feel contact first if you put the foot down flat so it is in fact a mid-foot strike, but it’s manufactured, and you pretty much have to be running in their shoe or something with a similar sole shape.

The great and mythical mid-foot landing doesn’t exist and you should stop trying to force yourself to have one unless you’re rocking some Skechers. I even read a recent Runner’s World article about form, and a study yielded zero mid-foot strikers. That prompted the writer to say that this form can be thrown out the window because it doesn’t exist, and I agree.

These images were stolen/borrowed from a post by Dr. James Stoxen on the Barefoot Runners Society. I re-illustrated them to show my points in this article.

While not Sketchers, my Aqua Lites aren't normal running shoes, and are zero drop and no toe spring as far as I can tell. So the shoes could be landing flat, which maybe is what I noticed. As for my foot, I'd say it was landing on the forefoot with a quick partial redistribution of my weight to the heel. Whereas if I was barefoot, I'd might be keeping my weight fractionally longer on the forefoot, which would also depend on how fast I was going.

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon