Still looking for anti-friction material for speedwork

kozz

Barefooters
Jan 6, 2011
Like some kind of resinous material that would augment the outer edge of callous and prevent it from peeling or bleeding, at least before 2 or 3k of fast repeats.

Superglue can fix tears on well-calloused skin, but I've yet to find something effective for less-calloused skin on the edges. Moleskin and tape are unreliable, as are anti-blister products, as they are all quickly destroyed by friction.

I'm thinking maybe epoxy would do the trick, though I'm hesitant to use toxic chemicals. Maybe there is some kind of medical equivalent.

What kind of speed work are you doing? I have never had a problem with speed work unless my feet weren't ready for it yet.

Like some kind of resinous material that would augment the outer edge of callous and prevent it from peeling or bleeding, at least before 2 or 3k of fast repeats.

Superglue can fix tears on well-calloused skin, but I've yet to find something effective for less-calloused skin on the edges. Moleskin and tape are unreliable, as are anti-blister products, as they are all quickly destroyed by friction.

I'm thinking maybe epoxy would do the trick, though I'm hesitant to use toxic chemicals. Maybe there is some kind of medical equivalent.

Body Glide?

What kind of speed work are you doing? I have never had a problem with speed work unless my feet weren't ready for it yet.

quarters and cruise intervals. Fast.

It doesn't matter how much you prepare, running 65 or faster puts different skin on the ground. Tremendous friction around the outer edges, and it's unavoidable.

The minimal footwear is not happening. I'd wear spikes before doing that. That's why I'm looking for more of a hardware-store type solution.

quarters and cruise intervals. Fast.

It doesn't matter how much you prepare, running 65 or faster puts different skin on the ground. Tremendous friction around the outer edges, and it's unavoidable.

The minimal footwear is not happening. I'd wear spikes before doing that. That's why I'm looking for more of a hardware-store type solution.
Well, I don't run as fast as you (just 7mm pace on my speed work right now--but I have only recently begun incorporating it into my routine), and I haven't done 440-intervals for over a month, but when I started them this last summer, doing them once a week, I found my feet adapted to the sandy gravel I was running on after a few weeks. The first time, like you say, the outer edge of my sole was pretty abraded, but it toughened up by the third or fourth time out, so I'm curious why your skin isn't adapting. Have you given the wounds enough time to heal? Is the track hot? Is the surface more abrasive than sandy gravel? I would like to understand if there are some other variables at play besides your greater speed that is making your experience different from mine. I agree with you that a solution besides footwear would be best. Shoes would take away all the sensuous joyousness. I like hearing there's another BFRer who's into doing intervals.

If the goal is to get as close to barefoot as possible, I'd work up the skill set to actually do it barefoot. As long as the surface isn't excessively abrasive, you should be able to slowly work up to barefootedness. The margin of error for friction injuries is going to be ridiculously small, though. That's the tradeoff of barefootedness.

If you're looking for a decent solution, I once used this stuff. It doesn't last long, but could be a good interim solution until you're able to go barefoot: http://www.bowlingball.com/BowlVersity/brunswick-defense-skin-protector

The more I think about it, the more I figure epoxy would work, unfortunately it's too toxic. Shellac isn't toxic but I don't know if it's strong enough. I'll find out soon.

The more I think about it, the more I figure epoxy would work, unfortunately it's too toxic. Shellac isn't toxic but I don't know if it's strong enough. I'll find out soon.
Hello kozz,
what about combining both?
first layer on your feet Shellac (you could also try Propolis) and second layer epoxy (or perhaps this substance called plasti dip?): thus your skin doesn't have direct contact with the toxic substances.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7