Spectacular Training Run

pilotrunner

Barefooters
Feb 18, 2011
All,

I know all you salty multi-year BF runners will scoff, but I had a spectacular little 3.0 mile run today.

As a marathoner, it was very difficult to quit running cold-turkey and start BF running properly using very low mileage. Not wanting to do TMTS, I followed all advice and didn't push the mileage even though I was feeling great. Saturday was my first 3.0 mile run and I ended it with a blister, albeit small, on the ball of my left foot (I have very baby-feet as my job requires steel-toed boots all the time).

The sun was shining, the breeze was light, the temp was in the mid 40s and even though I had to stop twice to pick out small, sharp rocks from my pads, I had a riot. Easy 9:30 pace. Perfect.

Cheers,

Awesome!  Three miles is

Awesome! Three miles is great. How long ago did you ditch the shoes?

I became a BF runner

I became a BF runner 01JAN11.

Except for the blister (rite of passage?), things have been going swimmingly.

The goal is Marine Corps Marathon in October totally BF. I am willing to down-shift to VFF if I can't toughen my feet enough, but I run MCM every year and this year I'd like to complete it BF. I don't recall seeing ANY BF MCM runners.

Cheers,

Three miles is good for about

Three miles is good for about a month's time.

I would stick with bare feet. I'm sure you can build up the distance in your bare feet by October. Throwing VFFs (or any minimalist footwear) into the mix will only slow you down and derail your achieving that barefoot goal.

TJ,BF is the goal, but the

TJ,

BF is the goal, but the roads can get a bit hot down here in the summer. I've always had baby-feet and could hardly walk on a pool deck BF because of the heat. Hopefully I can "man-up" my feet a bit.

I ran in the VFFs only twice since making the transition. First was during the snowstorm a couple of weeks ago. The roads and sidewalks were ice-covered and the second time I was blistered so I thought they would help. They did.

Cheers,

Dealing with a OZ summer

Dealing with a OZ summer which is still in effect but a bit cooler at the moment. I based all of my barefoot runs around the weather and running in the morning or very very late afternoon. Now I'm up to half marathon distance barefoot I'm feeling a bit more confident about my May half marathon race.

Doing your first 5km barefoot is a great moment. Relish it, you deserve it and you will always remember it:)

Thanks Joseph.  I searched

Thanks Joseph. I searched the "Race and trail review" on the BRS site and didn't find anything on MCM (didn't see the search box at the top...I'm an idiot). I typed in "bruno" in the search and BAM... there it was.

Many thanks.

Cheers,

Thanks for the nod

Thanks for the nod Joseph!

Pilot, I did the same thing you did last year, started in Jan and ran Marine Corps in Oct. I've run it both in shoes and BF and let me tell you it is a DREAM BF race. There were 5 of us last year including 2 members here and another BF from DC. (I can fill you in on any other details if you like)

I might be running again this year, I'll def be signing up, but depending on my schedule (and if I get into NYC Marathon) I might have to defer. I wish you all the best in your transition. It took a lot for me to dumb down the miles and it was hard not to break out before my time but I think with your mind set you'll be there. I agree with TJ, if you stay away from VFF's, you should have no problem with the feet by the time Oct comes around. Congrats on the 3-miler!

PR, like Ken said, you just

PR, like Ken said, you just have to try to find the warmest part of the day during the winter to run and the coldest part of the day in the summer to run. It's really not that big of a deal. Of course, once you have a good base going, which can take some people longer than others, it's okay to throw minimalist shoes into the mix, as long as you keep most of your miles bare.

Sounds like you are doing

Sounds like you are doing things right, pilot. I have no idea if this would be enough to deal with Texas temperatures, but on hot roads, I try to run on the white or yellow lines. Significantly cooler.

I lived and ran in Houston TX

I lived and ran in Houston TX for almost 10 years, left in '86 (thank the gods!). In my recollection, you will have no business out runnng on the roads or anywhere in the open when the sun is high enough to turn the pavement griddle hot. Run early, best, late, not so good, noon not!

Thanks for all the responses,

Thanks for all the responses, folks. I am really digging the experience and love the enthusiasm from the BF community.

Quick update, I rolled out of the rack at 0400 to hit the head and I rolled my ankle over a shoe on my way. I woke up and it was swollen around the medial maleosis (inside of the ankle-bone). Not black and blue but sore. Nothing like an ankle sprain (pretty sure) when things are going well.

IB and ice. I think I'll skip my run tomorrow and shoot for Wednesday and see how it goes. I ran a few steps to test it just now and and it is still a bit tender. I could run if someone put a gun to my head but I'll wait it out a bit as I don't want to get an injury that will require weeks of no running.

Bruno, I know everyone is different, but how long did it take you to toughen up your feet? Both 3 mile runs have resulted in very small blisters and very sore pads.

Thanks again for everyone's nice words.

Cheers,

Damn shoes! 

Damn shoes! ;-)

Pilot!After I got past 3 or

Pilot!

After I got past 3 or 4 miles I remember getting a good base going with the feet. As you might have read before, blisters are mostly the result of not lifting your feet and somewhat overstriding.

The pads will start to adapt the more you use them everywhere. Around March last year I began to walk everywhere I could BF, outside and inside, espeshily AFTER runs that day. I also did some Rock training in a bucket.

Since The middle of the summer, I was sticking to my 4 day a week running schedule BUT I was throwing in a 1 mile slow run 1 or 2 times a week. This seemed to help me get the feet prepared faster.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the input,

Thanks for the input, Bruno.

Right now, I'm dealing with abrasions (not blisters) on the ball of my right foot and behind my 4th toe on my left. I don't think my form sucks (because I'm a pro after all...I've been BFing for 7 entire weeks/sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/Roving/wink.png), but I guess I could be wrong. My cadence is quick (186-190) and I'm keeping my feet and hips under me (at least I think I am).

I've always had very baby-feet and my theory is this is what I have to endure to toughen them up. I go BF at home as much as possible and I'm trying to stay away from the VFFs. Eventually, I figure I firm them up a bit.

I'm running 3.0 every third day allowing for a lot of recovery although my feet, shins, knees, ITB, etc... feel great, but I don't want to push it. I figured I'll hang out at 3.0 until my feet toughen before I add more miles / days.

Thanks again.

Sounds like everything you

Sounds like everything you are doing is great (cadence, milage, form, lifting). I commend you on your sensible restraint. BUT...

If you feel you might be ready, do you think you could do 4 days a week? Maybe adding in a 1 miler in between your 3 milers? That might give your feet the boost you need to get them in shape. When I started to tried to get 4 runs in a week no matter how short one of them was. If you are "comfortable" where you are, it might be time to move on to one uncomfortable run a week.

Just like everything, your feet are going to need time to change years of being pampered in shoes. Mine fight back all the time!

Continued good luck!

Thanks again for the unbiased

Thanks again for the unbiased view, Bruno.

Yes, I feel I can up the mileage and/or days running, but I have read so much info about TMTS that I am concerned that I will fall into that trap. As a Type "A" personality, I tend to push more than I should in nearly every endeavor I attempt. Right now, the body is strong but the (bottom of my) feet are weak. I feel I am at the max that my tender feet can support with the abrasions I currently have (one on each foot).

I was planning on taking two days off (today is the first) to allow my feet to heal a bit before taking on another run. The problem is that I don't feel my feet taking a beating until I stop running and look at the damage.

Cheers,

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon