So, I'm officially o-w-t out :-(

BFwillie_g

Barefooters
May 17, 2010
Kulmbach, Germany
Welp, common sense (aka my wife) finally prevailed and I'm coming to terms with not running my ultra on the 12th. I've been dealing with a "pinched nerve" in my neck for going on eight weeks now, and am just too undertrained (not to mention a little blue and melancholic) to be running the event.

Damn :(

Better to be healthy and in the zone prior to going into any long distance event. The last thing you want to do is injure yourself more. Heal up there is plenty of ultras out there.

Don't feel so bad, Willie. There will always be more and more races for you once you've healed from this, and you will be able to approach them healthier and with more confidence than you would right now. Besides, if I still have hope for me, you should too.

Reactions: BFwillie_g
sorry to hear that Willie, probably best to listen to your body though. I've not done that in the past and paid for it

Reactions: BFwillie_g
Bummer willie, I feel for you being there myself, well still there but is not too bad nowdays.
Have you tried the neck traction? that thing really helps on decompressing your vertebrates.
I highly recomend it.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! :)

not sure if that was meant ironically or not, lol :D
Nope, it was straight up. It helps to have someone to see things more objectively, encouraging us toward appropriate caution and patience.

Reactions: jldeleon
LoL you should prolly read the one after that too then :p ...How to Survive your Long-Term Recovery. It's sarcastically humorous as well.

Mine is L5/S1...so pretty much affects oh, every movement. Which one is yours?

I love long distance so I definitely want to do another. Nothing planned though until I can start running again (in about a year - stir crazy til then).

Don't try to train through it man...youll do yourself a major injustice and wind up permanently hurt. Though maybe we could enter wheelchair races together...if the time comes.

lol, nice pic :) looks like a completely different syndrome.

So far, I was on cortisone for a week (started a thread about it in the injuries forum), been going to three different therapists - a classic P/T, a Shiatsu practitioner and a Dorn/Breuss therapist... (I have a lot of friends in the business and insurance here covers this stuff so long as you can get a referral from an Orthopedist). I'm going to yet another therapist next week, lol. I know he can fix it but he's hard to get an appointment with and doesn't accept insurance...

Looking into traction devices now but there's not much available online. Actually, I can't find anything. So I'll trek down to the Orthopedic Supply Store in tomorrow...

had a nice run with friends today, btw :barefoot:

My disk is herniated and pressing on my sciatic. Even pooping was painful for a good 5 months, and you know how much runners love their poop o_O Anyway...

The week of cortisone was the Medrol Pak? Take like a 6 pills the first day then taper down? That didn't affect mine at all; youre in good shape if that helped. Keep up the PT and just be patient. Discs apparently take awhile to fully heal. I wound up getting 2 spinal injections to relieve the swelling but that coupled with PT have done wonders.

My disk is herniated and pressing on my sciatic. Even pooping was painful for a good 5 months, and you know how much runners love their poop o_O Anyway...

The week of cortisone was the Medrol Pak? Take like a 6 pills the first day then taper down? That didn't affect mine at all; youre in good shape if that helped. Keep up the PT and just be patient. Discs apparently take awhile to fully heal. I wound up getting 2 spinal injections to relieve the swelling but that coupled with PT have done wonders.

Chaser comes to mind with this statement. :D

The week of cortisone was the Medrol Pak? Take like a 6 pills the first day then taper down?

Yeah, that's what it was albeit a generic brand. It was 8 tablets the first day and quickly tapered down to one half of a tablet on the seventh day... didn't do nuthin'

Or, well, it got me through my daughter's Confirmation :)

And I'm in pretty bad shape at the moment, really hurting and my arm falls asleep. Getting a little antsy now :(

Did'nt realize til now you were a C5-C6er.
My tranverse foraminal stenosis problem is right there, and yes, the arm is in pain, numbness, weakness and dysfunction.
I can't remember from the other threads...did you have an MRI as of yet?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts