So I'm buying a treadmill

The Ramzev

Chapter Presidents
Jun 14, 2010
Milford, DE
My wife and I have been discussing this for a while and we have decided to go for it. Since we have budget limitations we are going with Walmart's best. This one The Proform Power 795, the reviews look good, anyone have any experience with it?

Yep, that looks like a

Yep, that looks like a perfectly good clothes rack :p

I have a feeling that this is

I have a feeling that this is cheaper and a lot more fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WsOsxbAySGo

From my very limited

From my very limited experience with a treadmill..I wouldn't suggest buying one unless you can try it out first.

I got a "great" deal on a used Nordictrack for $100. It's very nice, however the shock-absorbing board is much too springy, and it really messes with my stride. One of the virtures of BF running is minimizing up-down motion and using your natural stride for shock absorbtion. When the board moves up and down an inch or more with every footfall, it requires a completely different and un-natural stride.

So, now I have a $100 clothes rack.
angry_smile.gif

I looked at Craig's list and other used sites but I'm too weary of buying used for something like this (Plus, I have a warrenty on a new one). I'll be picking up my new one this evening, I'll let everyone know how I like it.

Wow! That sounds like a great deal.

Why not just run outside?

I do, I haven't ever had a treadmill. Problem is it's too dark in the AM and too dark early in the PM. Between work, kids, school, etc. it's hard to find time to run. Now I can run more often.

Also, I'm in DE which means no hills; I can do hill workouts now.

Reactions: happysongbird
You're going to have to change your signature message, or be content with the idea that it's ironic. :)

Not sure I follow? Maybe you're assuming I only plan to run on the treadmill? That would make it ironic. But since I plan on continuing to run mainly on the road it's not ironic. So I guess I'm still not following the irony, which in its self is ironic.

Personally, I always buy kid stuff and exercise equipment used. Kids outgrow before they wear out, and so many people start up an exercise routine only to quit a short time later. You can usually get like-new equipment for a third or less of the retail price. One exception: Concept II rowers--they retain up to 70-80 percent of their value. A new treadmill will be worth about half or less its retail value as soon as you buy it. But if you're planning on using it a long time, it might be worth it to have a warranty.

Totally hear you about finding the time to run. Personally I just can't run on a treadmill, I mean I physically can mentally it destroys the joy of running for me. I am usually running in the dark throughout winter, either super early in the morning or late at night, whatever I need to do to run. I don't mind running in the dark, especially barefoot. I wear a full reflector vest for safety, but still can be risky depending what route you chose.

That's a bummer you live in a flat area, my situation is the opposite hills are everywhere. The benefit of that is I destroy people on hills in races, it just a huge strong point of mine. Running uphill is one of my favorite workouts to do.

I almost get hit during the day time pretty frequently from drivers not paying attention, I have the utmost respect for you night time or early morning time runners. It scares me to much to run at night. People are dumb when they get behind the wheel and even with reflectors on I'm afraid they might actually hit me. Too busy texting or whatever they're doing. Hey Gentile don't you run the hills with a stroller like I do? Or is that only occasionally? I seem to remember you telling me that at one point. I live on hills to so any direction I go from my house I either have uphill or downhill. I think it's made me a better hill runner.

Reactions: jldeleon
BF Gentile - "I destroy people on hills in races". Like that. I do a lot of hiking at 10,000 ft elevation, so I have no problem on the uphills at races. But, all the people I pass on the uphills destroy me on the downhills. I have hills to practice on where I live, but they are really rocky, so I still struggle on downhills.

Back to equipment. I can't run on treadmills, but I have been thinking about an incline trainer to hike or speed walk on. I try to do as much outside as possible, but the cold and wind can get annoying.

BF Gentile - "I destroy people on hills in races". Like that. I do a lot of hiking at 10,000 ft elevation, so I have no problem on the uphills at races. But, all the people I pass on the uphills destroy me on the downhills. I have hills to practice on where I live, but they are really rocky, so I still struggle on downhills.

Same here! I see the people I pass on the uphills, pass me on the straight-ways like 5 or 10 minutes later. Then I pass them again on the uphill, it's pretty funny actually.