Severs Disease; Calcaneal apophysitis

JVK

Barefooters
Nov 10, 2011
I am looking for information and a barefoot perspective on Severs Disease, also know as Calcaneal apophysitis.

My 12yr old son was diagnoised with this last spring after complaining of heel pain. He played football the previous fall and complained about it back then as well. they told him to not be active, so he has a doctors note saying not to participate in gym at school. they also prescribed $300 in orthodics for his shoes.

I have only recently in the past 3-4 months learned of barefoot and propper running form via the book "Born to Run". So my i am wondering if this is a legit diagnosis and is there anything proactive that we can be doing to treat this. when i say proactvie i mean does the orthodics and non-activity actually help? what about diet... is there maybe something lacking in his diet that put his body into this situation and it hasnt had a chance to heal its self.

it seems to me that there has got to be a proactive/ wholistic view on this and it pains me to watch my son not be able to be active. i have started running 3+ months ago and my son wants to join me and run with me but he cant.

any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

JVK

taken from the link above:

Heel pain, unlike the heel spurs, that occur in adults is very uncommon in children. Of those children who do get heel pain, by far the most common cause is a disturbance to the growing area at the back of the heel bone (calcaneus) where the strong achilles tendon attaches to it. This is known as Sever's disease or calcaneal apophysitis (inflammation of the growth plate). It is most common between the ages of 10 to 14 years of age. These are one of several different 'osteochondroses' that can occur in other parts of the body, such as at the knee (Osgood-Schlatters Disease).

When a baby is born, most of the bones are still cartilage with only some starting to develop into bone. When the heel (calcaneus) starts to develop bone, there is generally one large area of development that starts in the center of the cartilage heel. This area of bone spreads to 'fill up' the cartilage. Another area of bone development (ossification) occurs at the back of the heel bone. These two areas of developing bone will have an area of cartilage between them - this is how the bone grows in size. At around age 16, when growth is nearly complete, these two bony areas fuse together. Sever's disease or calcaneal apophysitis is usually considered to be due to damage or a disturbance in this area of growth.

JVK,My son, who also plays

JVK,

My son, who also plays football, was diagnosed with severs a couple of years ago. He did not need orthotics or to stop playing sports. He also runs road races and plays track. He had to do a bunch of work with an elastic band and he managed pretty well with it. Two of my daughter's friends in gymnastics were diagnosed with it. One of them ended up quilting, but I don't know if it was because of severs, and the other one still competes with my daughter on the team at level 8.

It gives me a sick feeling hearing about a doctor telling a very active teenager to stop all activity. I am no expert on severs, but if it were me I would get a second opinion.

-Jim

HI JVK,If Sever's is the

HI JVK,

If Sever's is the problem some rest is in order. It should be self-limiting but taking a couple months off to let it heal is reasonable. He won't be out of activity forever. While resting, dilligent work on the calf muscles is in order as they are probably too tight and causing increased strain on the area. My favorite way to work on the muscles is a rolling pin. He won't need to be out forever!

As far as the orthotics go, I can't comment since I haven't seen what they put him in. I can tell you that a lack of orthotics in his shoes did not cause the problem!

Dr. K.

JVK - I've seen a couple kids

JVK - I've seen a couple kids with this and a lot with Osgood's. Here's some info on my site about it http://www.drgangemi.com/kids/osgoodscoliosis/.

Severs is similar, and very individualized. Feel free to email me if you need help or a referral to someone I may know. Dr. Klein is right that he needs to work out those trigger points and tight calf muscles. Orthotics, in my opinion, would be a mistake.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7