settled for the Vivo Breatho Trail - UPDATE

BFwillie_g

Barefooters
May 17, 2010
Kulmbach, Germany
Hello ppl,

well, after a lot of hemming and hawing, and ordering, trying on and returning various brands/models, I decided to keep the Vivo Breatho Trails. They're pretty big, I thought they'd be too big when I first put them on in the living room, thought I'd be returning them, but the felt ok walking around the house and decided to try them outside. After three runs (5, 8 and 10 miles) in the week, with no socks, on a big variety of terrain, in the wet, in the mud, snow, rocks, hills, I'm pretty satisfied. No rubbing anywhere, no blisters.

The only thing I'd like to see is a little more room for the little toes. They have more toe room than most shoes, but still there's that inward-angle that pushes the pinky toes inward.

A nice plus for me: they're real easy to pull on and yank off, without fumbling with the laces. There's no tongue to straighten out. So, I can take them off when the terrain is ok for barefoot running.

On rougher and slicker terrain, wow, they really grip. And they don't retain little stones or even muck/mud at all.

There's a bit of arch support, but nowhere near as much as the Merrell and NB shoes I tried. Part of me wishes for zero arch support ala water shoes and Huaraches, but I think shoes like this need a little something there to hug the foot and keep the shoe from slipping. That seems to be the case with these things - just enough there to maintain fit, but not enough to interfere with the foot's motion (or cause blisters). Like I said, I ran without socks and had no issues with rubbing at all, even after splashing through deep puddles.

Drying time is good to great. After my third run, they were (intentionally) drenched trough, and I (intentionally) left them in the cool hallway overnight to see how dry they'd be. They were still plenty damp in the morning, but not wet, I could have run in them if I wanted to. In real life, I put my shoes in the bathroom under the radiator, and then they dry 100%.

Durability remains a question, we'll see. The toe on the left shoe seems to have been stitched a little incorrectly, I'm expecting to bust through the upper at that spot prematurely. But then maybe not.

Welp, I'm really happy with them so far. Ground feel, flexibility and all that stuff is fine, given the aggressiveness of the sole. My feet feel about the same as they do when I'm barefoot. Oh, on the first run with them, it was quite cold, well below freezing, but my feet felt plenty warm, yet ventilated.

I'd say these are shoes for barefoot runners looking for sturdy protection on trails. The others I tried would be for people coming from the other direction - runners looking to minimize after years of more built-up footgear.

wow...those things look aggressive!!
How thick are the soles?
Did you get these for cooler weather or for all around trail running?

Reactions: BFwillie_g
My wife bought me a pair of these for Christmas, it was a totally surprise. She knew I wanted just a casual minimal shoe, so she liked the all black ones and bought them. I think they are very comfy and the toe box is extremely roomy, I have skinny feet though. I like the knobs. But I am using them for a casual shoe at work, cross training, and going to try to use them for basketball

w
How thick are the soles?

much thinner than they look, the lugs are significant, I think they're 4.5mm(?), but there's not much between the sole of the foot and the top of the lugs. My runs so far have been sans socks but with the removable liners in place, giving a tad more insulation, forgot to mention that above.

Something else about the lugs I noticed - they're beefier under the ball and heel, and shorter under the midfoot. Maybe trail shoes are always made like, I don't know, but this is the first time I've noticed it. Also, they're v-shaped, and the front/rear lugs are reversed, meaning the rear ones grip better on downhills, pretty smart, simple design.

I got them for trails/mud/snow/ice, whatever, any season - The upper is very well-ventilated, so maybe not the obvious choice for winter, but I won't hesitate to run in them when the temps really drop.

They're oversized, the manufacturer even says to order a size smaller than normal, but I ignored that and ordered my normal size (EU45). As stated, they really are big, but for whatever reason (superior design?) they stay in place on my feet, even when drenched or slogging through mud.

So what I'm getting at is, there's plenty of room in there for socks if someone wants extra warmth.

I'm meeting up with a friend in a couple hours for another run, I'll see what he thinks about them (Joohneschuh from the ermany chapter).

Adam - lol, this ain't no casual shoe! But whatever floats yer boat ...

wow...those things look aggressive!!
How thick are the soles?
Zetti, I just got the Neo Trails on SillyC's recommendation. I haven't run in them yet, but my understanding is the Neo Trails are the same basic shoe as the Breathos but warmer, or more hold-your-breathos.

I've been debating getting the Breathos!

I have the Neo trails for a winter shoe, and have been using the Merrells as my summer shoe. I LOVE the tread on the Neos - super aggressive. But what I don't like about the Neos is exactly as you said - there isn't quite enough structure in the arch to keep them from moving around. It's less of an issue with my Neos because I use them as a winter shoe, and have smartwools on.

I should just bite the bullet and get some. I could use a roomier shoe than the Merrells. I tried to put my Merrells on the day after a 50K and they were so freakin' tight. (Nothing wrong with the shoe - my feet were just swollen from the 50K.)

The Neos are almost waterproof and WARM.

As Willie mentioned the Breatho's do run slightly bigger. I have a pair of Dharma's from Vivo, they are a size 44, to be honest I could use more room at the front. My wife got me a size 44 Breatho's, awesome fit and love the roomy toe box, perfect fit.

Day two wearing them as a casual shoe and they are so comfortable. I work in an office/factory, so when I am in the factory, the floor is slippery from graphite dust and some oil, I would be slip-n-sliding all over the place with other shoes. The knobby bottom on the Breatho's work wonders on the factory floor.

I am totally using the Breatho's for the wrong reasons, but so far working great for me. Next test will be on the basketball court.

Well, If they are good enough for Willie (remember the I'm Ruined thread? I'm in the same situation), then maybe I will check them out. I have run a total of 3 miles in my new Altra Superiors and I don't think they will work for me and I am completely done with my Merrell Trail Gloves (too small and I get toe pinch).

Willie, if you can run some steep uphill and report back if you have any issues with the toebox pressing down on your toes.

Rick - no problems on hills, I have to go out of my way to avoid them here. Did you mean to write 'steep downhills'?

In the' ruined' thread, I did mention that the problem seemed to go away for me, luckily.

Did a good 2 hours in the breathos with Johannes today, lot's of sloppy (and steep) terrain, I like these shoes :)

I had really wondered about these shoes, and even asked a few times but there really werent any good reviews on em here. I was going to just try em on the cyber monday sale but they were out of my size in the all blacks. Kind of like Barefoot Gentile, I wanted more of a casual shoe - but by casual I mean a mini shoe I could throw on that wouldnt attract crazy attention. One that looked like a regular sneaker I'd be wearing otherwise. And the Breatho's looked great IMO, and the all black ones I'd say are a great stealth minimalist shoe. Just to take advantage of the cyber monday sale I ended up ordering the Ultra Pures - a review is pending.

Well, I've got a few miles in them now. Some road running, some really gnarly wet sloppy steep stuff, rock jumping, stream crossing. And I have to say, I can't find a single thing to fault with this shoes. I thought I'd do a kind of write-up on things that matter to me:

• ++ The tread profile. These may be my first minimal trail shoes, but I've had lot's of trail shoes from various brands over the years and these are the first ones that get highest marks from me for the tread pattern. The grip is very, very secure, even on steep, slick descents, but the big difference with these is the way they resist collecting debris and muck. I don't think it's possible to get a stone stuck between the lugs (yay! That was always a problem with every Inov-8 shoe I ever had). Also, although every shoe can become mud-packed when running through wet clay like we have here, these release the muck again very quickly.
  • ++ Fit. Yeah, they run large but now I'm glad they do. They're roomy, but they really stay put on my feet. No rubbing anywhere.I've been sockless in them from day one but my last two runs were also sans-insoles. And one of those runs included really steep ascents/descents. No problem at all. No heal rubbing, no toe-bunching, nothing. Also, the forefoot has a lot more room than I thought at first. I've tried wiggling and splaying my toes all different ways while running and I can easily feel all ten of them in there, including the pinky toes, moving freely.
  • ++ Lack of arch destruction (aka "arch support"). This is a huge criterion for me, maybe the most important. There is a somewhat firm(ish) rubber arch there, but it's flexible and doesn't serve any purpose other than giving the shoe form and keeping it in place. Without it, I think they might be too floppy. But as I wrote, I've got miles sans socks and insoles now and my feet work in these shoes. I mean, the shoe allows them to do their job, not a far cry from barefoot. In fact, after a run in the Breathos, my feet feel very similar to the way they feel after a barefoot run.
  • ++ No tongue. I hate tongues. These don't have them. GREAT!
  • ++ Easy on/off. An extension on the tongue theme, I suppose. This is also important to me as I only have shoes on when I really need them and spend a goodly % of my time carrying them. On/off is really easy, even w/o socks, with filthy, wet, cold feet. And I've only laced them up once so far - the day of my first run in them.
More standard criteria, less important to me:

• + Flexibility. Actually quite good considering the agressive tread pattern. There's no midsole, you're basically riding right on top of the outer sole. (Is there a rock plate? Ooops, I forget, but if there is, it's not substantial. Regardless, I've intentionlly run across nasty rocks just to test and have had no problems)
  • + Weight. They're light enough. They get heavier when they're soaked through with water. All shoes do.
  • + Appearance. They're black and they look like trail shoes. Whatever.
So, there ya go. I'm not a gearhead by any measure but I'm that happy with these shoes. I'm already thinking of acquiring a couple more pair as security in case Vivo cancels production.

Bonus:

Before/After - Self-cleaning soles (all I did was run on pavement to clean out the dirt). The reason the rear of the show is loaded up with mud is because I'd just come down a long descent.

runtastic2013-01-02_15_07_45.jpg
IMG_20130102_160929.jpg

Thanks for the info Willie, and the real life photos. I'd be curios to know how much life you get before the lugs wear down. I think I've read that’s a problem with them as they use a pretty soft rubber maybe? But that’s what give you the flexibility so not really a downside as much as a trade-off. Keeping them on the trail should help - I think the problem is folks wearing them on pavement too much. Even though I got my Merrell trail shoes for >60% off I am kind of wishing I had gone with my first choice which was these.

I'm curious about the tongue though, could you take any pics of the uppers showing the tongue area? Didn't realize they didn't have tongues.

I'm curious about the tongue though, could you take any pics of the uppers showing the tongue area? Didn't realize they didn't have tongues.

Sure, no prob. That area is slightly elastic, not too much, not too little. Also, note how I have the laces tucked in; that's because they're huge. Kind of weird, I can't remember having shoes with laces this long before ...

And like you said, these are trail shoes. I'm pretty sure they'd wear down quickly on roads, so if someone uses them like that they shouldn't expect to get big miles out of them (still just conjecture on my part).

IMG_20130108_161827.jpg

IMG_20130108_161801.jpg

(also, don't tell the old lady but that's the kitchen counter they're lying on ;) )

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7