Ryan Hall interviews about barefoot running

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
On the DailyMile blog today, they posted 2 brief interviews with Ryan Hall about barefoot running. (Click the link to see them.)

On the one hand, I think that the warning to start slow is such a wise one. He insinuates that most of the barefoot (well, I think he's really talking about minimalist) injuries he's seen are TMTS injuries. "Start slow" is a good message for the public.

On the other hand, he says he brings up the old argument, "Well, the fastest runners are all wearing shoes." That's mostly true. (Not 100%, but mostly.) And you know, some people probably do run faster in Asics than in Vibrams or barefoot. That long stride probably makes some people faster. But I think it's hard for a professional, record-holding runner to realize an important truth:

Most of us don't run barefoot or minimalist because we want to be faster. We do it because we feel like we stay healthier doing it. We do it because we like the sensations. We do it for many reasons, and for most of us, if we end up being faster, it's just the icing on the cake...not the original motivation. I'm a lot faster than when I was in traditional running shoes. How much is due to minimalist running? Hard to say. But I think it's helped. At some point, perhaps the REALLY FAST runners gain some speed by combining fast turnover with the LONG stride length they can have with a heel strike. But most of us will never be in that REALLY FAST category.

Unfortunately, the REALLY FAST runners are the ones that are most in the media, and they're the ones that of course have to focus on speed. But most of us will never be race winners.... We just want to run in the way that makes us happiest.

Beth you make good points but

Beth you make good points but most of the elite runners don't have a heel strike. They land more mid foot than anything else. his point about the shoes, in my opinion, should be looked at differently. As barefoot/minimal runners we get too defensive. Even with a midfoot strike the cushioning of a shoe can help them run faster because it abosrbs the shock on the foot. They still land with a lot of force on the foot because of the speed they are going and the length of thier strides so a thin racing flat offers something that bare feet or really minimal shoes doesnt. Most of them race in a shoe that could be considered minimal anyways as the average racing flat is only going to be about 8mm thick in the forefoot.

C. Beth Run. wrote:Most of us

C. Beth Run. said:
Most of us don't run barefoot or minimalist because we want to be faster. We do it because we feel like we stay healthier doing it. We do it because we like the sensations. We do it for many reasons, and for most of us, if we end up being faster, it's just the icing on the cake...not the original motivation.

I agree, and I think this is hard for a lot of the general running population to understand. (I also know when I see a web notice about a "barefoot" running seminar/video/etc to improve your speed that the authors likely aren't really experts.) Running definitely has more than its share of "type A," "competitive," "goal minded," etc. personalities, and those people often don't understand others that don't care about competing. "They're choosing to be losers" might be the subtext.

Unfortunately the running culture (at least in magazines) has accepted and encouraged this. The message used to be that suffering was the lot of runners, and it was noble to fight through the pain.

Which is so totally wrong I don't know where to start. Also, I wish I could take them barefoot trail running with me so they could find out what I enjoy about the sport. If their watch gets smashed along the way, so much the better. :)

I think you hit it Beth- most

I think you hit it Beth- most of us run for pleasure, not just to win races.. if the entire running community ran to win.. we'd be a very disapointed lot... I fully plan to keep running for pleasure for a long time to come.. I used to run for a combination of pleasure adn the thrill of the attempt to win, but nowadays, I rarely look for that winning thing in any part of life, I'd rather relax and do things I ENJOY. Thats why if I do get injured I WILL take off and let it rest adn recover... and why I am not making commitments about when I expect to hit certain distances.. I'll run more and more until I no longer enjoy it and then stop.. if gradually increasing gets me back to ultramarathons one day.. so be it.. if I never do more than a 10k.. thats ok too.. right now I am past a 5k, and I know that I am at a training distance where doing a 10k even if my training runs don't get longer won't be an issue, so I am not worrying about that... but I am looking forward to getting out and running in different scenic environments too

Back approx. 30 years ago

Back approx. 30 years ago when I ran I called myself among the fastest of the slow runners. Now I among the happiest of the slow runners but getting faster - but that's not why I run. I'll never top even my age group unless I'm very cagey about picking a low attendance run. It's still just fine.

I read an interesting post that Chris McDougall reprinted in his blog saying that people race not so much to win but to demonstrate, if only to themselves, the degree to which they've mastered the art of running. I like the way that fits with me and I think it's accurate for many people, if not the hyper "A"types.

I agree Beth - most of us

I agree Beth - most of us don't run BF so we can run faster, we run BF so we can run better. The qualifier annoys. . .

Jimmy--Wow, great response.

Jimmy--Wow, great response. Seriously, I kept going, "Oh, yeah...that's true. That too. And that..." as I read it. Thanks for your perspective. My husband used to be a cross country champ in high school. Now that he's really getting back into running, he's not nearly as fast as he was, but still pretty fast for a 41-year-old. (His 5K time is around 23 minutes on a good day.) And yep--he has either a midfoot strike or a very gentle heel strike; he's not sure which. The guy doesn't get injured. Ever. (And his next pair of shoes coming in is a minimalist Saucony style, so hopefully he'll like them!) You're right too, that most of these guys are running in minimalist shoes, since they're in racing flats.

Thanks to everyone else for the input. One thing I like about this group is that you don't have to be fast to fit in here. I feel like I'm respected as a runner even though my half marathon time may never be below 2:00 (maybe never even below 2:15!) And even though I'm mostly minimalist now without a lot of barefoot time, I'm staying here...with people who are so passionate about this sport, whether fast or slow.

You are right Beth - this is

You are right Beth - this is a great group. I get kudos from other BF runners at dailymile for my little 3 mile run with no bare feet and I know they mean it.

Running Barefoot is totally not about speed, it's would be like saying I'm vegetarian but live on twinkies. Okay, the analogy is a push, but I've learned to leave my watch at home as many of us have.

Sara- my tracking software

Sara- my tracking software does record times, but I ignore them and look instead at just the distances done... then again I'm only a few months back into running after basically an almost 20 year hiatus... I'll never get back my 8 minute miles that I could keep up for some pretty hefty distances back in the day, but I am keeping up a pretty steady approximately 12 minute mile pace and comfortable with that... and I'm building that mileage back up... and enjoying it... and its slow enough that when I'm outdoors I can enjoy the scenery... and more importantly, I am staying relaxed the entire way through, so less chance of injuries..

Never been fast nor will I

Never been fast nor will I be. Really happy that i can sustain 6-7min pace per KM. Distance is what I love. Being outside for 2-3 hours on epic adventures. You don't notice anything when you run fast and most people's ego is never satasified so I try and relax, let go and run. Soak up my surroundings and for all of you daily milers I write about it in long turgid stories:)

I saw the video when it came

I saw the video when it came out and was disappointed but not surprised by it.

A few of my speedier runner buddies have admitted that once they slow down and aren't competitive (ie, no longer winning races or placing in their AGs) that they will hang it up and find another activity to occupy their time. To me, these people do not love running but rather love the speed and competition instead. And incorporating BF running would impact their speed and that is something they are unwilling to risk. Runner egos. I would be willing to guess that the Ryan Hall's of the world are this way as well.

I feel most of us here truly enjoy running and whatever speed we have is a bonus. At least thats how I feel and sincerely hope that bf and natural running will enable me to continue running until my time on Earth is up.

I like that Shacky...  Speed

I like that Shacky... Speed is just a bonus.

I like your thoughts Shacky

I like your thoughts Shacky but I caution you. The vast majority of pros love to run, that's why they do it. They just also happen to be really fast which in it's own way is as addicting as the act itself. I've been on both sides of the fencehaving run a 14:40 5k and last year a 27:20 so I have the "blessing" of knowing what it's like on both sides of the fence.

When you are fast it is an amazing feeling and running has a completely different feel to it. I loved being fast and knowing that when I ran I did it in a way that most could not. I wanted that feeling and I craved the feeling of the speed. After injuries I can no longer glimpse that feeling I once had but I still love to run. There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss that feeling and wish I could get it back which is probably why you see a lot of runners hang it up when they can't go anymore. It's not just runners but elite level athletes in all sports do this. Outside of George Foreman you don't see 50 year old guys in the ring just for fun, NBA stars aren't playing in rec leagues, and so on.

It's not something that the every day recreational person can fully understand and I mean that with all due respect because I'm one of you. Until you've had it and lost it then you have no idea how much you miss it and struggle coming to grips with the "lesser" version of yourself. I don't blame these pros for not changing things up and kicking off the shoes. They don't need to. They are at the peak of their time and if they aren't broken then there's no reason to mess with what works. The time at the top is fleeting.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts