running surface question

bfaubrey

Barefooters
Jul 24, 2010
Alright, this maybe a silly question, but has anyone ran bf on painted concrete? There is a 5k next weekend I want to run bf. It is in a mine that is used for underground storage. From the photos I have found it appears that the surface is painted cement. Feet are okay right now, but not what they were last summer/fall, PA winter has been rough. Kept up on mileage bf on the mill, and only got out bf a few times, but tons of miles in everything minimal. I just really want to do a race bf, and the temp is 55 degrees in the mine. Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice.

Aubrey

I would think that running on

I would think that running on painted concrete or asphalt would be super comfy. If the surface it wet though, you risk slipping and falling. I think you'll be fine. Just bring a pair of regular old socks to carry with you should you feel the need.

I LOVE paint! Sometimes I

I LOVE paint! Sometimes I will run the lines in the road because they feel so smooth compared to plain concrete or asphalt. I think you might enjoy it. At least as long as its not wet, like TJ says. Have fun!

Thanks, guys. Right now I

Thanks, guys. Right now I made up my mind, I'm all in. The distance is no biggie, was up to seven bare in the summer. What I was was concerned about was that I haven't been outdoors bare but a few times this winter. Just the fact my feet are "softer" now had me concerned. But I got the ITCH, and I can't wait for clear roads. PA winter is getting old! And hey Zap I hear you on the painted lines thing. Never thought about that, maybe it will be " super comfy". TJ, I'll not be pushing this one, so hopefully I won't slip. Have no idea what kind of time one should run bf on a 5k, my best shod was last summer, 19:44, in Saucony Kinvaras. I'm hoping to run under 9 minute miles, doable? I am alot slower bf, but enjoy it 100 times more than shod.

Aubrey

It takes a little while, but

It takes a little while, but you will get your speed back. I cut 15 minutes off my half marathon time in 10 months after going barefoot.
shades_smile.gif

Paint is super comfy but not

Paint is super comfy but not when wet. Looks like your going to have fun finally getting outside. It's summer here in oz so I can't even imagine the idea of not going outside for a run barefoot. But I am looking forwad to some cooler temps on a regular basis.

Yes, they are actually very

Yes, they are actually very comfortable than running on concrete or asphalt. However, sometimes it's kind of slippery especially when it's wet. To be safe, just run wearing barefoot running shoes as this also totally emulate barefoot feeling. Plus, protection against rocks and other objects from the surfaces are also beneficial to the runner. Two of the popular shoes are Vibram Five Fingers and Zem Gear. It's very light and has a good cushion too. Check out the inks below for more information.

http://barefootrunningshoes.org/vibram-fivefingers

http://barefootrunningshoes.org/zem-shoes

Wait, a 5k in a mine?  And

Wait, a 5k in a mine? And storage of What??

bfaubrey said:
Alright, this maybe a silly question, but has anyone ran bf on painted concrete? There is a 5k next weekend I want to run bf. It is in a mine that is used for underground storage. From the photos I have found it appears that the surface is painted cement.

This is a very unique set of conditions. The constant temp of 55, a painted concrete surface.. sounds like one could go very fast if one wasn't totally creeped out by it!

Stomper, not sure what was

Stomper, not sure what was mined there, but it is now used as underground storage. There are actual businesses there!? The name of the place is Gateway Commerce in Wampum PA, if interested in checking it out. I have heard rumors of weird things there. A guy at work told me that the spare lens for the Hubbel telescope is stored there, who knows if it is true. As for being creeped out, it kind of looks institutional-like, guess that is a little creepy. I think it will be a fun time. Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll let you know how it went.

Holy Crap! Well I must say

Holy Crap! Well I must say that was the toughest three miles I have ever ran. Turns out the start was about a quarter mile into the mine, the surface was not as clean as the entrance. In fact it was like rubber soaked damp cement. Must be from traffic in and out. Here is where the fun begins. I round the first turn about a quarter mile in and say to myself " you have got to be freaking kidding me!" It was fist size and smaller limestone rock, or maybe some slag too, then patches of dirt littered with small stones. This continued the entire race until your loops brought you back to the rubbery crap cement. Then the last quarte mile out the mine on good clean cement (like in the photos I saw, lol). The only words that come to mind is MEAT GRINDER. It took me 33 minutes to get it done. But it was fun in a sick sort of way, and they are including me in an article of the local paper, so thats kind of cool. I really thought it was going to be cement the whole way, and I never asked anyone about it. It feels good to overcome a challenge like that, especially one that takes you by suprise. Iwill say this, I had SPEED at the end, would have like to seen what I could do on a good surface. Thanks for all the advice and letting me ramble on a bit.

Aubrey

bfaubrey wrote:Holy Crap!

bfaubrey said:
Holy Crap! Well I must say that was the toughest three miles I have ever ran. Turns out the start was about a quarter mile into the mine, the surface was not as clean as the entrance. In fact it was like rubber soaked damp cement. Must be from traffic in and out. Here is where the fun begins. I round the first turn about a quarter mile in and say to myself " you have got to be freaking kidding me!" It was fist size and smaller limestone rock, or maybe some slag too, then patches of dirt littered with small stones. This continued the entire race until your loops brought you back to the rubbery crap cement. Then the last quarte mile out the mine on good clean cement (like in the photos I saw, lol). The only words that come to mind is MEAT GRINDER. It took me 33 minutes to get it done. But it was fun in a sick sort of way, and they are including me in an article of the local paper, so thats kind of cool. I really thought it was going to be cement the whole way, and I never asked anyone about it. It feels good to overcome a challenge like that, especially one that takes you by suprise. Iwill say this, I had SPEED at the end, would have like to seen what I could do on a good surface. Thanks for all the advice and letting me ramble on a bit.Aubrey

WOW! Sounds like you're officially hardcore! Awesome job! There's nothing like a little surprise surface to bring out the masochist in you. And now you know you can do it. How are your feet doing?

Zap, Two blood blisters on

Zap, Two blood blisters on the left heel the size of a pencil eraser, don't remember any accidental heel strikes. I did take two ten second walks to kind of "reset" myself, thinking I may have done it then. Also looks like a good little bruise in each arch. But for what I ran on I can't believe that's the only damage. Mind over matter I guess. Overall I am happy and I know that any other race around here can't possibly be worse, so nothing but improvement from here. I spoke with others who said the race info was very misleading and they won't be back next year. Funny, I heard of quite a few rolled ankles and some falls. I love how that is not an issue for me anymore, barefoot has really made me stronger. I can only hope that someday I can be half as "hardcore" as some you folks here. Thanks.

aubrey

Dang, that's quite the tale.

Dang, that's quite the tale. I just started barefooting last year and that was always my personal nightmare: that I wouldn't have a chance to scout the course and find myself in gravelly, spiky seedpod hell after rounding the first turn. Congrats on carrying through with the race!

Good for you, Mr. A!I don't

Good for you, Mr. A!

I don't think I could have gotten up the nerve to take my feet out for a run like that yet this year. I'm looking for a few weeks of transition to real BF after a winter of VFF's.

Wow, it sounds like that

Wow, it sounds like that really was a challenge. Nice job finishing it.

Personally I do like to be "surprised" a bit by the surface, just to see how I'll deal with it BF. But what you are talking about seems like one of those bad surprises.

I totally understand your comment about the (lack of) turned ankles and such. I noticed BF strength and balance last fall when I went running with two other members of this group. On extremely steep and muddy terrain, none of us fell over about 5 miles. We clearly had some skills and strength that other runners can't take for granted.

Thanks for the report!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7