Running On Consecutive Days

Take it easy and you'll be fine!

When I started 3 or 4 runs a week were plenty but as I got fitter and better I found that I was having to add miles, and frequency, to feel satisfied. I never had any goals, in terms of time or distance, and now find two runs a day are not a problem. I just broke a 40 day "streak" because I felt it was in danger of controlling me!

Have no expectations and run as frequently as you enjoy it and you'll be fine.

Even when I started running barefoot, I still ran on consecutive days. I always run consecutive days and even sometimes run twice a day.

Reactions: happysongbird
As long as my legs aren't super tight, and there are no 'niggles' bothering me anywhere, and if I have the time, I go, every day, for mental management more than because I think it's a good 'plan.'
However, I have rarely done two 'challenging' (for me) runs on consecutive days, and I think days off of running and cross training instead is a great idea, only for me it's hard to implement. But I seem to get away with basic running on consecutive days ok.

I've run everyday in 2013 so far, 13 days. I was going for a streak, but yesterday i felt the smallest of tweeks (or tightness) in the top of my left foot. No sense in gambling with it, I'm taking a rest day. I'll just do some kettlebell stuff today.

I think yu're fine running everyday; as long as if you feel anythng odd, you take it seriously. Better to take a rest day then lose a couple weeks for an overuse injury.

I often find myself settled into a three-day a week cycle (mostly Wed., Fr., Sun.) and I really need the regeneration time between runs. It probably wouldn't be a problem to go off for the occassional couple miles on 'off' days, but I feel safer forcing myself not to run than to run.

I used to run 5-6 times a week, but that'd be counterproductive for me these days, lol. I also used to care about going fast ...

Anyway, that doesn't matter and what I was going to say is, watch your enthusiasm. If you find yourself having to force youself to run, or catch yourself making excuses not to run, or even looking forward to your days off, then you're probably running too much. As soon as it isn't fun, it's time for a break, and maybe a new approach.

Also, sleep patterns can tell you if you're doing too much. Trouble sleeping, especially waking up after falling asleep and having trouble nodding back off again could be an indication that you need more break time.

And the old resting pulse is still the best indicator of overall fitness and looming disaster ...

To avoid injuries: strength work and self-massage.

It all depends on how my body feels and how much energy I have.
There are weeks that I run everyday with a weekend day off.
There are weeks that I keep it every other day and there are those weeks that I run twice a day.
And there are days that I am just plain lazy and take a week OR two off. :) .
It's not un-usual to get over-enthusiastic when beggining BFR so be careful.
Give everyday running a chance and see how your body tolerates it and don't be affraid to scale down if things don't go well.
Good luck!

Is that what the question was about? Running consecutive days or every day while getting used to BFR? To that I'd answer a pretty definite no.[/quote]

Not sure, there is not much info in th OP I was just assuming.
Please forgive me!
But I am with you on this one.

Yeah...I started running consecutive days and felt fine, until my IT band started acting up.
I would say pay very close attention to any pain you are feeling so that you can catch anything before it really develops.
......and if you do start running consecutive days make sure you don't get too "enthusiastic" with your pace at first...your body has to rest sometime.

Yeah...I started running consecutive days and felt fine, until my IT band started acting up.
I would say pay very close attention to any pain you are feeling so that you can catch anything before it really develops.
......and if you do start running consecutive days make sure you don't get too "enthusiastic" with your pace at first...your body has to rest sometime.
Hey Zetti, can I ask what sort of distances you were running? I've been having mild ITB issues, and doing faster paced fartleks and/or intervals seems to help. I was back up to 6-7 miles by the end of December, then I got sick, and now I'm building back up again. I was wondering what would happen if I ran just a mile or so in between my regular runs. From your experience it would seem like this would just antagonize my ITB, but I've also noticed it comes back when I take more than a few days off, so the logic might be running more frequently in my case. I dunno. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate hearing them.

It all depends on how my body feels and how much energy I have.
There are weeks that I run everyday with a weekend day off.
There are weeks that I keep it every other day and there are those weeks that I run twice a day.
And there are days that I am just plain lazy and take a week OR two off. :) .
The 'just run' approach in its purest expression!

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Hey Zetti, can I ask what sort of distances you were running? I've been having mild ITB issues, and doing faster paced fartleks and/or intervals seems to help. I was back up to 6-7 miles by the end of December, then I got sick, and now I'm building back up again. I was wondering what would happen if I ran just a mile or so in between my regular runs. From your experience it would seem like this would just antagonize my ITB, but I've also noticed it comes back when I take more than a few days off, so the logic might be running more frequently in my case. I dunno. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate hearing them

Right when I crested 28 mi/wk i started having issues....never had any IT band issues before.

the ITBS fellowship in the nutrition and health section has a wealth of advice.
here is what worked for me...

A combination of rolling 2 or 3 times a day (morning, pre run, post run, or pre sleep)
and strength work has done wonders!
http://cdn6.healthynomics.com/wp-content/demo/uploads/2012/07/indexITband.jpg
These basic exercises with bodylastic resistance bands (nice because you can change them out for more or less resistance when needed)

Just keeping off it and swimming/cross training was not enough....my first day back after over a months rest I had to stop after the first mile because of the pain.

I even had a hard time walking until I started doing this strength training combined with rolling. Rolling helped the symptoms and strength training helped solve the root problem.

Right when I crested 28 mi/wk i started having issues....never had any IT band issues before.

the ITBS fellowship in the nutrition and health section has a wealth of advice.
here is what worked for me...

A combination of rolling 2 or 3 times a day (morning, pre run, post run, or pre sleep)
and strength work has done wonders!
http://cdn6.healthynomics.com/wp-content/demo/uploads/2012/07/indexITband.jpg
These basic exercises with bodylastic resistance bands (nice because you can change them out for more or less resistance when needed)

Just keeping off it and swimming/cross training was not enough....my first day back after over a months rest I had to stop after the first mile because of the pain.

I even had a hard time walking until I started doing this strength training combined with rolling. Rolling helped the symptoms and strength training helped solve the root problem.
Yah, I've looked into that stuff, and have been doing squats again and "dynamic stretching." a.k.a. mobility exercises (I substitute ankle weights for the elastic bands), and I think it helps, in addition to running faster-paced fartleks.

But my question was more specifically about whether the length of your runs on consecutive days varied much. I'm think of trying a long-short, or medium-short alternation, running consecutive days to keep my legs from getting too tight on the off-days, but only running minimally on these "off" days, maybe even as little as a half mile. Something like this:

M: short run & ST (& mobility/stretching/massage)
Tu: med regular run (& mobility/stretching/massage)
W: short run & ST (& mobility/stretching/massage)
Th: med regular run (& mobility/stretching/massage)
F: short run & ST (& mobility/stretching/massage)
Sa: long regular run (& mobility/stretching/massage)
Su: rest or plyo & extended mobility/stretching/massage

So I'm curious if you or anyone else has experience with this kind of alternation or some similar protocol with respect to ITBS or any other tightness-induced injury.

The fact that you posted this, means you know you should not run consecutive days. ;) I occasionally try it, and regret it every time. I would suggest you cross-train, instead.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon